Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a quick look through the Amazon reviews on this card. Some say sleep works, other say it doesn't. One at least stated that the card is using USB power, and that causes the system to not sleep. Have you tried removing the card and checking to see if sleep works then?

I would also recommend disconnecting the monitor's USB hub - it might also be interfering with sleep.

Interesting, I haven't checked the English comments, I just picked an English link for the card for the thread, but I bought mine on the German Amazon store. I'll definitely test it soon. The Fenvi FV-T919 card is yet again out of stock, and I don't want to import one from China. So the current OOB card was the best option. If it's the card that causing the issues, well either I'll find a fix or I'll live with that. :)

Thx for the hint.

A couple things to note (I'll get to your Clover folder in a minute):

1. I'm using a Fenvi T919 card and you are using something else;
2. I'm using a singled DP monitor, whereas you are using a DP & HDMI (via DVI) setup (from your update link).

Our builds are quite a bit different in this respect. I'm neither familiar with your particular wireless/BT adapter card, nor did I run more than a single monitor with the on-board graphics (I never planned to, as I had always planned on getting a discrete GPU).

This dissimilarity could be leading to your sleep issue(s).

Interesting, I haven't checked the English comments, I just picked an English link for the card for the thread, but I bought mine on the German Amazon store. I'll definitely test it soon. The Fenvi FV-T919 card is yet again out of stock, and I don't want to import one from China. So the current OOB card was the best option. If it's the card that causing the issues, well either I'll find a fix or I'll live with that. :)

Thx for the hint.
You could try this one (a bit more expensive because they can): OSX WiFi. That's not the card I have, but, it should do.

[NOTE: redacted, this is just for reference]
I took a look at your Clover "stuff." First comment, you only have two kexts in your Other folder, I have quite a few more (reference what I have earlier in this thread). This means our builds are quite a bit different, and I'm not sure if what you're missing is not truly needed, etc. - could just be differences between our systems. You may also have those "missing" kexts on your boot drive instead of in Clover's hierarchy. So, not necessarily anything to be concerned over.

That being said, you are missing one patch in your ACPI section - SAT0->SATA. My IO Reg shows lots of devices present whereas yours is lacking them. This may/may not be affecting sleep.

Also, it appears you haven't implemented the custom USB port patch - this is needed for PM and sleep to work properly AFAIK. My count of ports vs. your count of ports shows a very large difference. I say appears because I don't see the patch in your "patched" folder. The number of ports PER HUB must be 15 or less.

I am uncertain how to answer your XHC-200-series... question, other than I know it is necessary for booting my Mac from a USB 3.0 port. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable mods could further explain.

I took a look at your Clover "stuff." First comment, you only have two kexts in your Other folder, I have quite a few more (reference what I have earlier in this thread). This means our builds are quite a bit different, and I'm not sure if what you're missing is not truly needed, etc. - could just be differences between our systems. You may also have those "missing" kexts on your boot drive instead of in Clover's hierarchy. So, not necessarily anything to be concerned over.

That being said, you are missing one patch in your ACPI section - SAT0->SATA. My IO Reg shows lots of devices present whereas yours is lacking them. This may/may not be affecting sleep.

Also, it appears you haven't implemented the custom USB port patch - this is needed for PM and sleep to work properly AFAIK. My count of ports vs. your count of ports shows a very large difference. I say appears because I don't see the patch in your "patched" folder. The number of ports PER HUB must be 15 or less.

I am uncertain how to answer your XHC-200-series... question, other than I know it is necessary for booting my Mac from a USB 3.0 port. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable mods could further explain.

Is skipped the SATA patch because I'm using a single NVME drive. The only SATA plug is used is for the water pump if I remember correctly. I'll use it if I decide do put some more SSD's. ;)

I'll check the USB patch soon too.

I tried to search where your mentioned wifi card was used. I mean in which original mac system. However I couldn't find any information. On the other hand mine, if I researched correctly is from a MacBook Pro 2015.

I also used the minimum amount of different kext files as possible, only if they were really necessary.

About my dual monitor setup, the second monitor doesn't affect the sleep issues, because I also tried sleep with only one monitor.

Still I wouldn't say your build is that different from mine, the main parts are the same, just a few changes here and there, but your guide helped me a lot. :)

First, fix the USB ports. That will definitely affect sleep from what I understand.

Then, if still not sleeping properly, unplug the monitor USB ports & remove the card, then check sleep again. If your system sleeps, then it is one of them or both that are causing the issue.

Looks like I goofed. When you said Clover has indeed changed; I was referring to the Clover boot. I didn't realize I needed to install Clover standalone. It's been 4 years since my last hack build so it's been a bit of a learning curve haha.. Then, I went down a weird path, and now I think I need to reformat and reinstall macOS. Just to be sure, here are the basic steps I've followed/am going to follow once I reinstall -
1. setup BIOS as described
2. setup Clover as described (except for options not avail in new Clover loader). I guess set up those options in the clover desktop app?
3. setup Clover Configurator as described
4. install FakeSMC kexts
5. Fix power management (this part is a bit confusing)
6. Fix USB ports using IO registry (this is also a bit confusing)
7. Fix SAT0 to SATA (in Clover Configurator, I assume)
8. System ID
9. Fix shutdown - "FixShutdown_0004" setting in Clover Configurator->ACPI->Fixes, first group. System now stays off.
10. Install video card as described on 7/20/2017 (what do you recommend for straight install with current Sierra?)

Please let me know if any of this is out of order or if you have more suggestions.. Our build is basically the same except I have a GTX 1070 SC2.

On a side note, I'm a little confused as to the mounting EFI action. I noticed that all the things I had installed were not showing up in my EFI Clover kext folder, which I assume is bad. So I started copying files in there directly. Wouldn't MultiBeast have set that up for me? Or do I not need MultiBeast?

Thanks for all the advice you've been putting out there!

Last edited:
By "Sierra," I'm going to assume you mean the current iteration, 10.12.6.

I highly recommend that you do not install the nVidia card until you get your system up and running. Much easier that way, and then you have a 'fall back' in case the card ever needs replacing or what-have-you.

First, you will want to follow these instructions to install Sierra on your system, with the exceptions from my update note on 7/20/2017.

Then you can do your #3, as applicable, then #4.

Not sure what's confusing about either #5 or #6, so you'll have to post your specific question(s).

#7, yup. #8 = ?. #9, yup (you can do that as part of your #3). #10 - start with 5/25/2017 update then update that per 7/7, 7/20, and 7/21 notes.

The nVidia cards install just about the same (the non-native cards use the web drivers), so the card number shouldn't matter. The manufacturer, however, might make a difference. Some have trouble, others don't. My EVGA card is not a problem.

I'm not 100% familiar with where Multibeast puts things. I only used it for initial setup procedures.

Follow the install guide initially, and then things can get corrected from there.

By "Sierra," I'm going to assume you mean the current iteration, 10.12.6.

I'm not 100% familiar with where Multibeast puts things. I only used it for initial setup procedures.

Yep, 10.12.6. Any particular reason to not use the 1070 straight away? I had swapped in my old 760 to get things up and running but 1070 seemed to working fine when things were working, though web driver wouldn't stay selected (for obvious reasons I assume). Still trying to keep my current workstation in working order before making the leap.

I think the confusing steps will be ok. I just have to spend the time going through the details. One thing that was confusing, and it's probably hackintosh 101- for clover configurator to work properly, you have to mount the efi drive each time ya? And then save your settings, reboot, and then the changes should have taken effect? Couldn't tell if what I had been doing was working. And in general, once things are done, I won't need to mount the efi drive..?

Hopefully tonights efforts will yield good results

Yep, 10.12.6. Any particular reason to not use the 1070 straight away? I had swapped in my old 760 to get things up and running but 1070 seemed to working fine when things were working, though web driver wouldn't stay selected (for obvious reasons I assume). Still trying to keep my current workstation in working order before making the leap.

If you can get the onboard graphics working, you'll have a backup, plus, if you have issues, it is one less thing that could contribute. It is worth doing AFAIAC. The nVidia card installation is pretty straightforward after that.

I think the confusing steps will be ok. I just have to spend the time going through the details. One thing that was confusing, and it's probably hackintosh 101- for clover configurator to work properly, you have to mount the efi drive each time ya? And then save your settings, reboot, and then the changes should have taken effect? Couldn't tell if what I had been doing was working. And in general, once things are done, I won't need to mount the efi drive..?
Correct - you must mount the EFI partition before making any changes to that partition.

Hopefully tonights efforts will yield good results
Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back