Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few minutes later... a small paper shim between the front clips and cover did the trick - silence is golden! :)

I'm finally going to retire my late 2012 mini and build my first Hackintosh. I'm really drawn to this build, but it seems (from a beginners point of view) that this is a little trickier to set up than Stork's MyHero build? Any thoughts?

I'm finally going to retire my late 2012 mini and build my first Hackintosh. I'm really drawn to this build, but it seems (from a beginners point of view) that this is a little trickier to set up than Stork's MyHero build? Any thoughts?
I didn't really find it "that tricky." Did I run into snags? A couple, but easily resolved. EDIT: I DID have a bit learning to do along the way, but it wasn't horrible at all.

As Apple has announced Kaby Lake support, any of these builds will be a good idea. Yes, they, at the moment, take a little more effort to set up, but, when Apple releases the support, you'll be thankful you did it. :)

Thanks JC. Looks like I'll go this route then - might as well future-proof myself. Going to use a Corsair Carbide 330R though I think - the case you've used, whilst looking good, looks like it's huge too!

Thanks JC. Looks like I'll go this route then - might as well future-proof myself. Going to use a Corsair Carbide 330R though I think - the case you've used, whilst looking good, looks like it's huge too!
Quite welcome - I love my build!

As for the case, well, I don't know if it is "huge." I would say "large." It is wider than a "traditional" tower case, so its footprint is more square. The great thing about it is that there is plenty of workspace - something to consider when dealing with a lot of cabling. This also provides more cooling ability. BUT, if you don't have the space available (2' x 1.5' footprint), then a traditional tower is a better route.

Sorry for the idiot question, but once 10.12.6 is out, assuming it has Kaby Lake support, would this build end up being a little simpler? Would there likely be many installation/tweak steps that would no longer be required? As this is going to be my main mission-critical work computer I'm taking things slowly!

Sorry for the idiot question, but once 10.12.6 is out, assuming it has Kaby Lake support, would this build end up being a little simpler? Would there likely be many installation/tweak steps that would no longer be required? As this is going to be my main mission-critical work computer I'm taking things slowly!
Bear in mind that I had to start with El Capitan given the age of my donor Mac. So, if one can start with Sierra, it would already be simpler.

As to the main question of how Kaby Lake support in upcoming versions of the OS will pan out for this build, and others similar, that remains to be seen. Obviously, no longer would the Fake CPU ID be needed. We'll have to see what else the good folx here determine is not needed to get these builds to "just work" with minimal patching.

So far, everything I used my original Mac for works just fine in this build. OK, actually far better than in my original Mac (it is an old fing) ;) .

Thanks again for a speedy, helpful reply. I love my late 2012 Mac mini (that I put an SSD in with the dual drive kit and 16GB RAM) but with a 2.5GHz i5 and Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics, it really doesn't cut the mustard anymore. I think I'll take the plunge and order my components tomorrow, with an eye to building at the weekend. I plan to do a completely clean install of Sierra rather than use my current system (which is Sierra anyway) as I just want the best chance at getting something running as well as possible, and eliminating any potential for inherited problems.

I'm going to use a couple of different components to you on a price basis (Corsair Vengeance RAM, EVGA 1070 Superclocked 2) but other than that, largely the same.

You're an inspiration, and have given me the courage to try my first Hackintosh build!

Thanks again for a speedy, helpful reply. I love my late 2012 Mac mini (that I put an SSD in with the dual drive kit and 16GB RAM) but with a 2.5GHz i5 and Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics, it really doesn't cut the mustard anymore. I think I'll take the plunge and order my components tomorrow, with an eye to building at the weekend. I plan to do a completely clean install of Sierra rather than use my current system (which is Sierra anyway) as I just want the best chance at getting something running as well as possible, and eliminating any potential for inherited problems.

I'm going to use a couple of different components to you on a price basis (Corsair Vengeance RAM, EVGA 1070 Superclocked 2) but other than that, largely the same.
As @Stork said, welcome to the HERO club! :)

You're an inspiration, and have given me the courage to try my first Hackintosh build!
Well, really, @Stork , @RehabMan , @VioletDragon (hopefully that's the right account), and the peeps on the board (like @tonymacx86 ) deserve far more credit than I do. However, I am glad this build inspired you to pursue your own. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back