Contribute
Register

[Success] ASUS Prime Z370-A+i9-9900k Pro Audio Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey NorthAmTransAm,

Back at it after a slight delay. Thanks for creating a Clover EFI in the meantime, I get that OpenCore is the future, but it took me too long to have just a basic understanding of Clover!! Is the new EFI only good for Big Sur or will it work with Catalina too?

I tried running it last night on Catalina (after adding my serial number) and could not get it to boot. Boot screen photo attached. What am I doing wrong??

With Mojave, the SMBIOS was set to 18,3 but stuck with 91,1 from your build.

As a refresher, I've got the same cpu, GPU, and a first gen Z370-A Prime with 32GB of RAM in slots A2 and B2. Can't use slots A1 and B1 as it won't fit under the CPU fan, which I remember being an issue in the past, but can't recall the workaround....

Thanks again for all your amazing work!

Attachments

• IMG_4911.jpeg
    IMG_4911.jpeg
    649.5 KB · Views: 40
Hey NorthAmTransAm,

Back at it after a slight delay. Thanks for creating a clover EFI in the meantime, I get that Opencore is the future, but it took me too long to have just a basic understanding of Clover!! Is the new EFI only good for Big Sur or will it work with Catalina too?

I tried running it last night on Catalina (after adding my serial number) and could not get it to boot. Boot screen photo attached. What am I doing wrong??

With Mojave, the SMBIOS was set to 18,3 but stuck with 91,1 from your build.

As a refresher, I've got the same cpu, GPU, and a first gen Z370-A Prime with 32 Gb of Ram in slots A2 and B2. Can't use slots A1 and B1 as it won't fit under the CPU fan, which I remember being an issue in the past, but can't recall the workaround....

Thanks again for all your amazing work!
Interesting. I’m going to give it a test on a Mojave backup when I get home in a couple hours.

In the meantime, try disabling whatevergreen in the Config and also disabling the CatalinaAHCI kext. Let me know!

Interesting. I’m going to give it a test on a Mojave backup when I get home in a couple hours.

In the meantime, try disabling whatevergreen in the Config and also disabling the CatalinaAHCI kext. Let me know!
Sorry it I wasn't clear, running Catalina, not Mojave. Will try both and report back

Sorry it I wasn't clear, running Catalina, not Mojave. Will try both and report back
Understood. We’ll get it going.

Do you have extra boots arguments than what’s in my EFI?

Do you remember if you ever put any Kext in Library/Extensions? This was the old way of doing things and we need to remove those first. Can you send me a screen shot of that folder?

UPDATE: I updated post one with an OC 065 Big Sur Only EFI along with a Clover EFI for both Catalina and Opencore.

So please try the Clover EFI after adding your 19,1 serial. For whatever reason this OC is not doing well with Catalina.

Further research showed me that OC 060 worked on Mojave and Catalina. It could be a setting I'm missing or 065 is broke something. Most like user error on my part. Anyways the Clover build is great and almost comforting -- old faithful.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the research. I'll check it out tonight when I'm back in front of the computer. I was having so many issues that I went with a clean install of Catalina, restored my time machine back up (without signing in with my apple ID). I didn't bother creating a EFI with multi-beast, just placed your Clover EFI folder in the EFI partition.

Here's a stupid question - I reused my 18,3 serial number, will that cause issues?

Thanks for all the research. I'll check it out tonight when I'm back in front of the computer. I was having so many issues that I went with a clean install of Catalina, restored my time machine back up (without signing in with my apple ID). I didn't bother creating a EFI with multi-beast, just placed your Clover EFI folder in the EFI partition.

Here's a stupid question - I reused my 18,3 serial number, will that cause issues?

Right so I wouldn't sign into iCloud because of the mismatch serial and SMBIOS. We just need to fix the USBMap because its registered to 19,1.

Go ahead switch to 18,3 but stay signed out. Make sure you enable the XHCI Port Limit in the Quirks tab of Clover Configurator.

Then download Hackintool, go to the USB tab, and hit the export button at the bottom. It will create a few files but you can delete all of them except for the USBMap.kext.

We need to compare it to the USBMap thats in our config. I don't mind doing it for you if you want to send it over here.

And no problem. Glad the Clover folder worked out. I completely at random made one over the weekend.

Are you using a thunderbolt card?

Last edited:
Bro I used your EFI to make an install but it appear not recognize usb installer mac_os (i have same hardware btw)

If you were trying to make a Catalina installer then you should use the Clover EFI for now. For whatever reason things get shaken with the OC 065 on Catalina unless on Mojave or Big Sur.

Right so I wouldn't sign into iCloud because of the mismatch serial and SMBIOS. We just need to fix the USBMap because its registered to 19,1.

Go ahead switch to 18,3 but stay signed out. Make sure you enable the XHCI Port Limit in the Quirks tab of Clover Configurator.

Then download Hackintool, go to the USB tab, and hit the export button at the bottom. It will create a few files but you can delete all of them except for the USBMap.kext.

We need to compare it to the USBMap thats in our config. I don't mind doing it for you if you want to send it over here.

And no problem. Glad the Clover folder worked out. I completely at random made one over the weekend.

Are you using a thunderbolt card?
Cool, thanks!! 18,3 worked perfectly in the Mojave build, so good to know I can hopefully stick with it.

I don't have the thunderbolt card, I use Dante Virtual Soundcard, as the rest of my studio is built around Dante (works great btw!)

Cool, thanks!! 18,3 worked perfectly in the Mojave build, so good to know I can hopefully stick with it.

I don't have the thunderbolt card, I use Dante Virtual Soundcard, as the rest of my studio is built around Dante (works great btw!)

Good to know about Dante! It took a lot of time and work to get thunderbolt on this to a dependable and fully functional state. If you ever need it for a device the card is around 50 bucks.

I’m going to try an OC 064 EFI later tonight just so I can know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back