Did you find this guide to be helpful?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Lexone for providing your guide
I am stuck at step 7, I can't reboot
I have the P7P55D-EPRO mobo with i7 860 @ 2.81 and GTX9800
My harddrive is a samsung 1To model HD103SJ
Thanks to tonymac my build has been working flawlessly for almost the past 2 years with SL 10.6.6 and then 10.6.8, but wanted to upgrade to ML
So I installed ML 10.8.2 over 10.6.8 using unibeast, followed basically tonymac install guide
After reboot, I booted again from unibeast USB drive, I selected the drive I installed ML on, clicked enter, but then I get back to the same boot window, there is this text that appears and disappears on the top left of the screen each time I click enter : "Mach-0 file has bad magic number"
What is your advice?
Thank you for your help

Thanks to tonymac my build has been working flawlessly for almost the past 2 years with SL 10.6.6 and then 10.6.8, but wanted to upgrade to ML
So I installed ML 10.8.2 over 10.6.8 using unibeast, followed basically tonymac install guide
After reboot, I booted again from unibeast USB drive, I selected the drive I installed ML on, clicked enter, but then I get back to the same boot window, there is this text that appears and disappears on the top left of the screen each time I click enter : "Mach-0 file has bad magic number"
What is your advice?
Thank you for your help

Why is it that you can't reboot? Although our boards are similar it may not be compatible with ML (just a thought). I would suggest starting over again and seeing what happens with a fresh install. Keep me posted

Hi Lex, I know you have a Via VT1708S chipset on your mobo, and I know you have the same problem as mine, coz we have the same mobo, and I know you're experiencing distorted sound using your analog green or any line out when you put it to max volume, for ex. watching movie using VLC player to max volume, so you have to set it up the MIDI to lowest sample rate, and also to check the checkboxes of Use SSE2 and Enhance Stereo in Voodoo Prefpane to stabilise the sound even if you put it to the maximum, but every time you restart/reboot, you have to set it up again (MIDI from highest to lowest sample rate, check the checkboxes of SSE2 and Enhance Stereo), I would like to ask if you managed to solve this without using any third party automation/scripting application? FYI, I used all of your attachments and also the guide you provided.

Hi Lex, I know you have a Via VT1708S chipset on your mobo, and I know you have the same problem as mine, coz we have the same mobo, and I know you're experiencing distorted sound using your analog green or any line out when you put it to max volume, for ex. watching movie using VLC player to max volume, so you have to set it up the MIDI to lowest sample rate, and also to check the checkboxes of Use SSE2 and Enhance Stereo in Voodoo Prefpane to stabilise the sound even if you put it to the maximum, but every time you restart/reboot, you have to set it up again (MIDI from highest to lowest sample rate, check the checkboxes of SSE2 and Enhance Stereo), I would like to ask if you managed to solve this without using any third party automation/scripting application? FYI, I used all of your attachments and also the guide you provided.

I take it that you know so much about my system and what I'm experiencing because you've actually sat in front of my machine and used it, correct? :lol:

To be honest tho I have no issues with my sound. No distortions or anything using speakers plugged into the green line-in port. I play loud music, have watched movies, etc without a problem. Not sure if something screwy is going on with your setup but I for one am not experiencing the same issues as you are. Sorry bud

What is your advice?
Thank you for your help

Hi Lex! thanks for your response. Just a follow up on my build. After many hours of tweaking on my ML install, I was able to boot but couldn't get sleep to work as well as sound. So I decided to do a fresh install of ML 10.8.2 on a new drive using your guide. Everything went smoothly, I can even get sleep and also sound after installing the voodoo 0.2.7.3 kext from multibeast. I did have a kp after installing voodoo and had to reboot, but then never had anymore KPs. I was going to install your voodoo kext that you provided, but decided to check the sound first, and was surprised to find it working! So I got a fully functional ML install with sound and sleep on my ASUS P7P55-E Pro mobo. Will post a thread on my successful build. Many thanks for your tutorial.

Hi Lex! thanks for your response. Just a follow up on my build. After many hours of tweaking on my ML install, I was able to boot but couldn't get sleep to work as well as sound. So I decided to do a fresh install of ML 10.8.2 on a new drive using your guide. Everything went smoothly, I can even get sleep and also sound after installing the voodoo 0.2.7.3 kext from multibeast. I did have a kp after installing voodoo and had to reboot, but then never had anymore KPs. I was going to install your voodoo kext that you provided, but decided to check the sound first, and was surprised to find it working! So I got a fully functional ML install with sound and sleep on my ASUS P7P55-E Pro mobo. Will post a thread on my successful build. Many thanks for your tutorial.

Ay2P,

Let me know when you do. I have same Lifehacker setup with the 9500GT video card. I had 10.6.8 installed, wiped it and started with the Lex guide but got stuck at around item #13. I didn't need to upgrade to 10.8.2 since the latest download from Apple gets you 10.8.2. I still need to boot and load the voodoo kext. Did you find that you needed bootflags other than PCIRootUID=0? I attached a photo of how far I got. I figured the hours I have invested warranted a pic!

Thanks!

Attachments

• ML_unibeast_1st.jpg
    ML_unibeast_1st.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 467
Ay2P,

Let me know when you do. I have same Lifehacker setup with the 9500GT video card. I had 10.6.8 installed, wiped it and started with the Lex guide but got stuck at around item #13. I didn't need to upgrade to 10.8.2 since the latest download from Apple gets you 10.8.2. I still need to boot and load the voodoo kext. Did you find that you needed bootflags other than PCIRootUID=0? I attached a photo of how far I got. I figured the hours I have invested warranted a pic!

Thanks!

Hi
I basically followed Lex guide with minor differences :
steps 1-6: same as Lex, I did fix the boot0 error using tonymac's fix as I used a 2 TB HD.
step 7: I needed to use the PCIRootUID=0 flag to boot into my drive
step 8 : I used latest version (5.1.3-1) of multibeast for ML - I did created and patched my own DSDT.aml file for bios version 1502 using DSDT editor following Samisnake's guide. Note : I didn't used tonymac's dsdt because it's for bios version 1602.
step 9-10 : I placed my DSDT file on desktop, ran multibeast and selected UserDSDT, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector & RealtekRTL81xx, and installed them.
step 11-18 : I rebooted fine, no kp and no bootflag needed, I didn't installed Lex AppleACPIPlatform & VoodooHDA kexts, and no needs to update OS, I have already 10.8.2. I then ran multibeast and installed voodooHDA 0.2.7.3 kext and got a KP right after installation, had to hard reboot. When I rebooted, I had no KP and again no flag were needed to boot into my ML drive. I did check the sound before going to step 15 and 16 (patched Voodoo kext from Lex), and since it worked - to my surprise! - I cancelled these steps. No need of a USB 3.0 driver for now, so no step 17.

Please note that I have a P7P55D-E-PRO mobo, bios version 1502, audio codec VIA VT1828s
Also, my apple display does go to sleep, the HD does spin down, but the system doesn't by itself, however if put it to sleep via finder menu it does go to sleep and I can wake it up with mouse or keyboard click. Sound works great! I don't know if my Geekbench score is good or not but it's what I got! see attached pic.

Good luck !

PS: many thanks to LEX, Tonymac, Samisnake and all the others for making hackintoshing possible

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-08 at 12.27.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-08 at 12.27.12 PM.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 225
Hi
I basically followed Lex guide with minor differences :
steps 1-6: same as Lex, I did fix the boot0 error using tonymac's fix as I used a 2 TB HD.
step 7: I needed to use the PCIRootUID=0 flag to boot into my drive
step 8 : I used latest version (5.1.3-1) of multibeast for ML - I did created and patched my own DSDT.aml file for bios version 1502 using DSDT editor following Samisnake's guide. Note : I didn't used tonymac's dsdt because it's for bios version 1602.
step 9-10 : I placed my DSDT file on desktop, ran multibeast and selected UserDSDT, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector & RealtekRTL81xx, and installed them.
step 11-18 : I rebooted fine, no kp and no bootflag needed, I didn't installed Lex AppleACPIPlatform & VoodooHDA kexts, and no needs to update OS, I have already 10.8.2. I then ran multibeast and installed voodooHDA 0.2.7.3 kext and got a KP right after installation, had to hard reboot. When I rebooted, I had no KP and again no flag were needed to boot into my ML drive. I did check the sound before going to step 15 and 16 (patched Voodoo kext from Lex), and since it worked - to my surprise! - I cancelled these steps. No need of a USB 3.0 driver for now, so no step 17.

Please note that I have a P7P55D-E-PRO mobo, bios version 1502, audio codec VIA VT1828s
Also, my apple display does go to sleep, the HD does spin down, but the system doesn't by itself, however if put it to sleep via finder menu it does go to sleep and I can wake it up with mouse or keyboard click. Sound works great! I don't know if my Geekbench score is good or not but it's what I got! see attached pic.

Good luck !

PS: many thanks to LEX, Tonymac, Samisnake and all the others for making hackintoshing possible

Ay2P,

Thanks, it's working and booted with no KPs. I have the newer 1602 bios. I also have the bad audio problem that's noted so I'll be moving on and trying to fix that with the rest of the instructions.

Thanks to you, LEX, and Tonymac for getting me this far! Cheers!

Ay2P,

Thanks, it's working and booted with no KPs. I have the newer 1602 bios. I also have the bad audio problem that's noted so I'll be moving on and trying to fix that with the rest of the instructions.

Thanks to you, LEX, and Tonymac for getting me this far! Cheers!

Ay2P,

I disabled AppleACPIPlatform and didn't replace it. Now I can't boot, not even with Unibeast and the boot flags I'd used before. Does anyone know how to replace or reactivate that kext by booting to Unibeast and getting at a terminal?

Thanks.

Ay2P,

I disabled AppleACPIPlatform and didn't replace it. Now I can't boot, not even with Unibeast and the boot flags I'd used before. Does anyone know how to replace or reactivate that kext by booting to Unibeast and getting at a terminal?

Thanks.

Hi
did you make a copy of your previous install on another HD? with superduper or CCC?
you should do a fresh install on a spare drive, it takes 30 min, that way in case something goes wrong you still have your other install...
i will reproduce my install on a spare drive I have, so I will be sure it's working with the steps I provided in my earlier post, will report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back