Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Swapped Radeon VII for the reference 6900XT on 11.4 RC : black screen
Tried combinations of Lilu/WEG/DST when I came across agdpmod=pikera, but even with that still nothing.
Changed to MacPro7,1 (from iMacPro1,1) and it worked. However DRM was gone (red screen on netflix, green on AppleTV) so I switched back to iMacPro1,1 and surprisingly it was booting correctly, but still no DRM
Now I have Lilu, WEG, agdpmod and shikigva=128 but no luck so far.
I remember months ago happened the same when switching from iMac to MacPro on SMBIOS, and I had to reinstall from scratch.
Am I missing something?
Thanks!

Swapped Radeon VII for the reference 6900XT on 11.4 RC : black screen
Tried combinations of Lilu/WEG/DST when I came across agdpmod=pikera, but even with that still nothing.
Changed to MacPro7,1 (from iMacPro1,1) and it worked. However DRM was gone (red screen on netflix, green on AppleTV) so I switched back to iMacPro1,1 and surprisingly it was booting correctly, but still no DRM
Now I have Lilu, WEG, agdpmod and shikigva=128 but no luck so far.
I remember months ago happened the same when switching from iMac to MacPro on SMBIOS, and I had to reinstall from scratch.
Am I missing something?
Thanks!
The shikigva argument doesn't work in Big Sur and likely won't ever work again. However AppleTV should work with these cards and MacPro or iMacPro SMBIOS; it does for me.

I see you're on Ryzen - you'll need to add WhateverGreen's unfairgva=1 boot argument. That should fix it.

The shikigva argument doesn't work in Big Sur and likely won't ever work again. However AppleTV should work with these cards and MacPro or iMacPro SMBIOS; it does for me.

I see you're on Ryzen - you'll need to add WhateverGreen's unfairgva=1 boot argument. That should fix it.
It worked! Thanks a lot!
Now everything works perfectly except for a kind of weird bug: when I set HDR on display settings, the mouse cursor quadruple its size! In settings it's always at the smallest size, but it's 4x bigger.
Switching off HDR makes it normal size again.

hi guys. is radeonboost.kext still required for big navi?

by the way. I did some tests this morning with my 6800 xt.
converting 4k mkv to mp4 with videoproc, using h264 and h265: using Mac Pro 7,1 sysdef worth a lot instead of using imac20,1/20,2 (that uses quick sync).
using handbrake, results are the same, more or less (a couple of fps faster than quick sync)

by the way. I did some tests this morning with my 6800 xt.
converting 4k mkv to mp4 with videoproc, using h264 and h265: using Mac Pro 7,1 sysdef worth a lot instead of using imac20,1/20,2 (that uses quick sync).
using handbrake, results are the same, more or less (a couple of fps faster than quick sync)
How many fps do you get?

hi guys. is radeonboost.kext still required for big navi?
It was never required, it was an optional kext intended to provide some performance boosts on certain GPUs. But no, there's no reason to use it with a 6000-series GPU as it won't do anything.

RadeonBoost contains a list of properties to apply to certain specific GPUs. It doesn't contain any properties for the 6000-series GPUs, so loading it will have no effect. The author has said that he now uses an M1 and isn't planning to update RadeonBoost in future.

videoproc:
-h264 quicksync 95fps
-h265 quicksync 26fps

-h264 6800 xt 130fps
-h265 6800 xt 56 fps
In DaVinci Resolve Studio I can output HW accelerated 1080p H264 files at ~240 FPS.

1621517429532.png

Edit: H265 is ~210 FPS:

1621517586752.png

In both cases source media was DNxHR, ie not using accelerated GPU decoding and therefore giving the best possible output speed.

Back