Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

@verendus

I completely agree with you about Windows.

It “looks better” than older versions, but it’s still the same/similar under the hood spaghetti mess as always.

I really hope the Xbox version of MS flight sim is quite good, as that’s the only thing I use Windows for anymore.
I decided to dive into Windows again because of the MSFS2020. Went all out with HP Reverb G2 as it brought back the childhood memory of the original MSFS and X-plane. They've done an amazing job creating the entire world a flight destination, but the software has a long way to go. What is maddening is the disconnected between the devices that are required to make it work. G2, WMR, AMD Driver, the software itself are all half-broken and are trying work together. When things are broken, they blame each other. That's the price of the open platform vs. closed system where one company controls how things should behave.

@verendus And you never heard of system image? I rather do complete system image backup before any drivers update etc. For example latest optional update for AMD Adrenalin brokes my Asus Crate software, so it is easy to restore from backup than reinstall all things. I think users complain about Windows issues are still unaware of basic use of O.S.
Yes. It works well, but windows installation is quite fast and restoring image didn't save much time. And for trouble shooting, I had to install with one component at a time to figure out what's causing the issue. Example - you switch a GPU from NVIDA to AMD, you can technically use DDU to remove all the traces of the driver, but for some reason the only thing that will fix is a fresh install. You do a windows update with restore from an old image, thinking the update will somehow place nice with the previous version that had slightly different hardware components. Good luck. I've had windows update kill the entire OS. The only thing that will fix it is a fresh install made from the newest version release.

BTW, many hackintoshers are enthusiasts who cut their teeth building computers, tweaking, overclocking, building custom loops, and modding windows. I just haven't used it as a main workstation.

If you are using Asus Crate software, I do have some recommendations to avoid any heartache for future update.

Last edited:
If you think Win 95 was bad, don’t forget windows ME. What a nightmare. Windows Vista was bad too.
Yeah, ME and Vista top them all. I stopped doing any critical work on Windows 7 since Hackintosh arrived. For games, Windows is the platform to beat, but I don't play games, except for a couple of flight sims. :)

BTW, many hackintoshers are enthusiasts who cut their teeth building computers, tweaking, overclocking, building custom loops, and modding windows. I just haven't used it as a main workstation.

If you are using Asus Crate software, I do have some recommendations to avoid any heartache for future update.
I am an old programmer, maybe this year is the 24th or something like this since I code. Still backing frequently my ssd etc. I use an original MBP for obvious minor tasks, like uploading builds in App Store. Usually working on a "monster" hackintosh for some reasons. The same machine I use for Windows (gaming , programming C# etc stuff) so I rather prefer to have system image and restore, than searching into my DVD for serial numbers etc. For the Crate part I already have my full offline installer, made after questing in depth at (like dlcdn-rogboxbu1, 2, getting files like 5859-*.zip since the guys from Asus don't want to provide full packages :) so do not worry I "reversed" too much on Crate to make my GM build lool. You can PM I think for things related to update2 and getting links from infamous rog-live-service site, btw.

Last edited:
Quite honestly I would be happy to stay with High Sierra.
I would be happy as a clam to stay with High Sierra, but the problem is that you just cant as other software develops. Adobe CC and After Effects are some of my most used, but newer versions stopped supporting the Nvidia hardware i was using, so all of a sudden an effect like particular stops getting any GPU support and became slow AF, whereas with the same hardware under windows you can almost scrub the timeline. Substance painter became a huge headache. the subscription-based models almost force you to upgrade.

From my POV there is a pretty large segment of professionals that consistently gets a smack in the face from Apple devs who tend to think from a MacBook pro , coding, software & web, and silicon valley type mindset. just give us some drivers to use the already slower than Nvidia GPU's so we don't have to go to windows purgatory...(Linux not an option for any workflows based on adobe stuff)

I disagree. Got a 6900xt delivered about 5 weeks ago (although ordered in december, at MSRP + shipping + customs)
Disagree with what? The 6000 series cards are currently made of unobtainium? Congrats that you have one. Feeling a little frustrated that you haven't been able to work with it on a Mac or Hack for months? Try buying one now: https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx6800xt/

Must be nice to have a 6000 series…

The way we are going, they are soon going to cost $6000

In any case, I have trouble getting excited about them until we know if Apple is even going to support it.

I’m very much mixed on that point.
I could absolutely see them just going all in on their own GPUs

Disagree with what? The 6000 series cards are currently made of unobtainium? Congrats that you have one. Feeling a little frustrated that you haven't been able to work with it on a Mac or Hack for months? Try buying one now: https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx6800xt/
disagree with the statement i quoted in my post, that you quoted here. the original statement was, that apple should skip rdna2 at all, because it is not available. i am nobody to tell apple something, but i hope for support.
about unobtanium, nothing changes for me, i would love to see drivers. egoistic? no! i have choosen a second way to go for an apple silicon mini for my macos works, since i can't wait.
i just don't like the "end of the world" sayings like "i can't get the gpu, so apple should skip the support at all". rdna2 will be shipped sooner or later. you are not the only and not the first one in that world, who can or can not get some stuff. i always wanted to have space ship with warp drive, food replicator and a holodeck. but i won't say, if i can't have one, nobody should have one ;)

Must be nice to have a 6000 series…

The way we are going, they are soon going to cost $6000

In any case, I have trouble getting excited about them until we know if Apple is even going to support it.

I’m very much mixed on that point.
I could absolutely see them just going all in on their own GPUs
it is not nice to have one. sitting on a pretty expensive paperweight and hoping. could sell it now for 1800-2000 i guess. but i don't sell my btc since 2012. if the GPUs really go to 6k, i won't sell, hodl GPUs xD

it is not nice to have one. sitting on a pretty expensive paperweight and hoping. could sell it now for 1800-2000 i guess. but i don't sell my btc since 2012. if they really go to 6k, i won't sell, hodl GPUs xD

If you got one at MSRP, I’d absolutely offload it and cash in.

Back