Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes. The Mac options aren't good for many reasons. One of course is cost. I just priced out a lower end iMac which after taxes was above $4000. That is beyond my budget, especially considering the lack of upgradability and power.

Secondly, as many others I am on a budget, so I have to find a way to make my money go as far as it can. As someone who likes to game in Windows (and needs access to a few programs in there), I can't really afford to put thousands into a gaming PC, then turn around an purchase another Mac on top of that. We would be looking at like $7000+ and I simply don't have the budget for that.

Finally, my current setup and requirements make Macs a limiting option.They are simply too restrictive in their capabilities for me to consider. Which is why I was so happy to have found the Hackintosh solution. I was able to put a reasonable amount of money towards a PC that gave me the flexibility to deal with most of my needs. It was working perfectly until the lack of Nvidia drivers.

I could of course purchase an older generation AMD card and get OSX upgraded, but I am not interested in putting large amounts of cash on an older card when I would prefer the newest generation for work and gaming. I want to future proof my PC as much as I can, so starting off purchasing older GPU's seems like a bad idea.
Really sorry to say this, but have you considered getting an M1 Mac? They are amazing.

I game in Parallels for the few that I don't have a Mac equivlent.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME X299-A
CPU
i9-7960X
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
But this graphic is not just for gamers, for me it would be perfect for 3D to be able to speed up the rendering of Octane or Redshift, which now work well on mac with betas. So many of you are going to ask: but why don't you just go back to PC?
I tried again, but Windows sucks, we waste more time trying to get apps up and running than working, all work time slows down 10% compared to Mac, if we win with the GPU we lose out on workflow. It starts to be complicated to have the best of 2 worlds on one machine (Hackintosh).

Motherboard
Aorus Pro Wifi i x570
CPU
3950x
Graphics
6900xt
But this graphic is not just for gamers, for me it would be perfect for 3D to be able to speed up the rendering of Octane or Redshift, which now work well on mac with betas. So many of you are going to ask: but why don't you just go back to PC?
I tried again, but Windows sucks, we waste more time trying to get apps up and running than working, all work time slows down 10% compared to Mac, if we win with the GPU we lose out on workflow. It starts to be complicated to have the best of 2 worlds on one machine (Hackintosh).
I have done a few projects in Redshift on my Ryzentosh with a Vega 64. It is about the best setup you will get at the minute for GPU rendering outside of Windows(apart form Octane which I don't have). However, have you tried Corona renderer? It is Cpu based but is super fast on my 3950x, comparable with Redshift and Octane, it is my render engine of choice.

I tried going over to Windows with my 6900xt and it was awful, just awful after using OS X for 18 years. Hackintosh has been great for me, a couple of functions don't work in AE/Premiere and it hates Mp4s but you should not be using them anyway really. Resolve is zippy and stable too and for CPU rendering in C4D you would have to spend 15k on an equivalent Mac.

Let's just keep our finger crossed Apple support one last generation of AMD cards then it will be back to real Macs for me when I upgrade again(Unfortunately).

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

How does Octane run on an M1 Mac?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4771
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Maybe Apple is doing us a favor by not showing support for the new AMD cards since nearly none of us can get our hands on one, and it's been how many months now since they have been released? I check almost daily. Even the $2,400 card that was available on Newegg is gone.

Motherboard
Asus Z97-AR
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Maybe Apple is doing us a favor by not showing support for the new AMD cards since nearly none of us can get our hands on one, and it's been how many months now since they have been released? I check almost daily. Even the $2,400 card that was available on Newegg is gone.
I disagree. Got a 6900xt delivered about 5 weeks ago (although ordered in december, at MSRP + shipping + customs)

Motherboard
Aorus Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Really sorry to say this, but have you considered getting an M1 Mac? They are amazing.

I game in Parallels for the few that I don't have a Mac equivlent.
Unfortunately none of the current mac offerings are flexible enough for my needs, or at a cost I van justify.

Gaming in parallels is not satisfactory for the games I enjoy.

Motherboard
Aorus Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
...or move work to a PC.
This may be the direction I go and migrate away from Apple. I hate to do it because there is specific software I use that will not run on Windows, and I can barely stand that OS as it is.