Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

I disagree. Got a 6900xt delivered about 5 weeks ago (although ordered in december, at MSRP + shipping + customs)
You are damn lucky aren’t you?

@verendus And you never heard of system image? I rather do complete system image backup before any drivers update etc. For example latest optional update for AMD Adrenalin brokes my Asus Crate software, so it is easy to restore from backup than reinstall all things. I think users complain about Windows issues are still unaware of basic use of O.S.

But you can’t find a new graphics card at MSRP.
The moment Covid gets under control and Crypto are not as profitable when mined with a video card the market will be flooded with video cards. Not sure if it's 1.5 years or so but at some point...

This may be the direction I go and migrate away from Apple. I hate to do it because there is specific software I use that will not run on Windows, and I can barely stand that OS as it is.
Can you stand MacOS as it is? Big Sur interface beside being pretty is so much less productive compared to Catalina. They're sacrificing so much function it's beginning to get on nerves.

Can you stand MacOS as it is? Big Sur interface beside being pretty is so much less productive compared to Catalina. They're sacrificing so much function it's beginning to get on nerves.
I have not noticed a huge difference after getting over the initial strangeness of the spacing between icons. The big issue for me is the OS is asking for permissions on everything, not just for the software but for plugins and scripts etc. I need to see if I can disable this security feature as it is just annoying.

Quite honestly I would be happy to stay with High Sierra. I'm sure the later versions have a few bells and whistles, but I'm not super excited about Big Sur. That said, I would take any of them over going back to Windows if I had the choice. Whenever I boot in for gaming I grit my teeth having to deal with it.

As others have said, it looks better, but it is basically just a coat of paint on an old barn.

You are damn lucky aren’t you?
no, not really. have a pile of other issues ;)
but when i see what happening on the market right now (actually i missed that ****), you are right, got some luck.
still, i disagree, i would like to see working rdna2 drivers :)
activating plan B, will sell my both old hackintoshes and buy an m1 mac mini.

Since I sold my Radeon VII and got the 6800XT in November, I had to resort to using Windows while keeping my MBP for critical work, and I have gotten used to it, but Windows hasn't changed over the last two decades. Getting different devices, peripherals, drivers work together has been a night mare. BSOD, crash to desktop, especially HP Reverb G2 with USB issues have been driving me insane. If you like tinkering, tweaking, it will make a great hobby, but for reliability, nothing has changed since Windows 95. Installing an update is an act of faith. I had to install the OS three times in the last 4 months to troubleshoot some hardware issues. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that Apple will release driver for the 6000s one last time. I've upgrade to i9 and 6800XT as my last hackintosh compatible machine.
While windows is not that stable vs macos on a genuine mac... but hackintoshes aren't exactly bug free.

Windows 95 was a third hell. Constant hard reboots and corrupted system dlls. Windows 10 is not perfect and I've had my share of BSOD every time it updates a major version. I far prefer working on my hackintosh... but you couldn't pay me to use Win 95 again.

I have not noticed a huge difference after getting over the initial strangeness of the spacing between icons. The big issue for me is the OS is asking for permissions on everything, not just for the software but for plugins and scripts etc. I need to see if I can disable this security feature as it is just annoying.
Let me know how if you find it...

While windows is not that stable vs macos on a genuine mac... but hackintoshes aren't exactly bug free.

Windows 95 was a third hell. Constant hard reboots and corrupted system dlls. Windows 10 is not perfect and I've had my share of BSOD every time it updates a major version. I far prefer working on my hackintosh... but you couldn't pay me to use Win 95 again.
If you think Win 95 was bad, don’t forget windows ME. What a nightmare. Windows Vista was bad too.

Back