Contribute
Register

Student looking to build cheapest hackintosh with preferences possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

I'm a student in Australia looking to build a cheap and relatively small hackintosh primarily for the experience of putting a computer together and messing around with it to get a Mac OS working. Once I have achieved this, I'll probably dual boot the computer with Ubuntu or Windows 7/8 for use as a light gaming PC (something I can bring to a LAN party) + maybe basic photoshop/video editing work (or maybe even a HTPC of sorts). This will be the first computer I'm building by myself (I have had some experiences earlier but always under the supervision of others with more experience). I don't need this computer to be a powerhouse as I already have another computer running Win7 with a i5 3570k and a 7950 which I use for any intensive applications. If possible, I'd like to get the build sub $600.

Here are my priorities (1 being highest, 5 lowest):
1. Cost (cheap as possible).
2. Size (relatively small, mini-ITX preferable).
3. Heat (doesn't need to run extremely cool, but something that won't melt given the small size).
4. Entertainment (1080p video, run modernish games on low@30+fps, preferably the ability to connect to a TV via HDMI and a monitor at the same time).
5. Productivity (intended for standard word/powerpoint/excel and light photoshop/video editing. Will potentially attempt app development for funzies in the near future).

Once again: I'd like to get the build sub $600. Is this too far-fetched?

Below are some components I've considered based on the Customac Mini, but I'd like to get the price a couple of hundred dollars lower if possible:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI (Mini-ITX Board)
CPU: Intel i3-4340
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP CML8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GT 630 1GB GDDR5
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS
Case: Silverstone SG05BB-450-USB3.0 (450w Mini-ITX comp. case)
Mac OS: Undecided (which would work best?)
Estimate of price: $750 (I'd like to cut $150 at least).

The build does not absolutely need to be mini-ITX or of this socket type (if there are cheaper alternatives), just some preliminary thoughts.

All advice appreciated.
Thanks for your time!

You'll want to bump up the GPU to a GT640. All the other choices look fine. To reduce your total
cost you could skip the gfx card altogether and use the HD4600. You wouldn't get 30 fps 1080p
gaming with that but to cut costs you have to sacrifice something. The other option is to look
for sales, rebates discounts etc. I like to check the TechBargains site daily to find all the best
hardware prices from all the various retailers. Also check out the Deals of the Day section on
TMX86.com.

Cheers mate, yea that's what I was thinking :c

I just noticed your Prodigy Mac Mini GT610 build and began thinking. I could probably adopt your build and swap out the GT610 for a GT640, and I'd be saving $250ish when compared to the current build.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI
CPU: Intel Pentium G2020
RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB Single DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte GT 640 1GB GDDR5 LP
Mac OS: Mountain Lion (10.8.3)
EDIT: Maybe even throw in a Sony Optiarc 8X SATA DVD+/-RW Slim for $30 odd (I was looking at the old http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com.au/2010/12/building-customac-customac-mini.html)

Estimate of price: $450 - $550

Do you think this build would suit my aforementioned preferences to a reasonable degree?

Thanks!

Cheers mate, yea that's what I was thinking :c

I just noticed your Prodigy Mac Mini GT610 build and began thinking. I could probably adopt your build and swap out the GT610 for a GT640, and I'd be saving $250ish when compared to the current build.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI
CPU: Intel Pentium G2020
RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB Single DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte GT 640 1GB GDDR5 LP
Mac OS: Mountain Lion (10.8.3)
EDIT: Maybe even throw in a Sony Optiarc 8X SATA DVD+/-RW Slim for $30 odd (I was looking at the old http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com.au/2010/12/building-customac-customac-mini.html)

Estimate of price: $450 - $550

Do you think this build would suit my aforementioned preferences to a reasonable degree?

Thanks!

Yeah, looks good. I don't game but I suppose you could do that with this build. It wasn't my first
priority when I built it. If you can get the newer G2030 at 3.0GHZ go for that if the price is about
the same. The Airplay function will only work if you get an Intel cpu with HD4000 graphics like
I3-3225 or I5-3570K. Best of luck on your build. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back