Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z370 SLI+
CPU
Intel i7-8700k
Graphics
NVIDIA GTX 1080
I've been trying for days to get the installation to boot, originally with El Capitan, but gave up on that and decided to go with High Sierra instead. I've gotten farther than I did with El Capitan, which apparently really doesn't play well with a lot of my hardware, but I still can't get to the installer. I've tried using people's custom bootloaders from InsanelyMac, I've tried replacing some of the kexts, I've tried several bootflags, and I've double and triple checked to make sure that my BIOS settings are optimized (worth noting: my MSI motherboard doesn't let me disable USB 3.0, but I am running the installer off of a 2.0 port, and MSI only allows me to select "standard" or "custom" Secure Boot Mode, so I selected custom). It seems the thing that gets me the farthest is all of the defaults in tonymacx86.com's tutorial for High Sierra, with unibeast installed in UEFI mode. Combined with the simple boot flags "dart=0 -v" I get to "stuck at service exited with abnormal code 1".

Update:

I have gotten past this point, and have managed to get as far as to reboot to the final phase of the installation. I can't get through this though. The installer always fails at 15 min remaining, with the message "macOS could not be installed on your computer An error occurred installing macOS. To use Apple Diagnostics..." I've tried reimaging the installer (re-downloading High Sierra from the app store, and wiping and reinstalling the installer to the USB drive), but somehow I still end up stuck at the exact same place. I've tried going through the installation with only one stick of RAM, I've tried unplugging all external storage devices, and I've tried removing EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from its normal location to see if they would fix the problem. Nothing had any effect. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.

For anyone who has dedicated graphics and was stuck where I was above, try going into your BIOS and making sure that the DVRAM for the iGPU is 64M, not 32M. Macs apparently don't play well with limited iGPU DVRAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back