Asus Prime Z390-A
CPU
i5-9600k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hello tonymacx86 forums!

This is my first post and official build. Thank you to everyone who has posted and shared information which has assisted in my process. Currently I am running a mid 2012 MacBook Pro Retina i7, with an eGPU Aorus 1070 Gaming Box - OSX High Sierra.

The reason for the post here is I that I am unable to get past the Apple boot load screen in High Sierra on my new desktop build.

The components for the new desktop are as listed:

-MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A; Bios Ver. 1105

-Processor: Intel i5 9600k @ 3.7GHz

-RAM: 32GB Crucial DDR4 3000MHz (two 16GB sticks)

-HD1 (Win10): NVMe Samsung Evo 970; 500GB

-HD2 (High Sierra): NVMe Samsung Evo 970; 500GB

-GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 (pulled from the gaming box)

-PSU: Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum

-Qualcomm Wifi Card via PCI
--------------------------------------

I am using High Sierra with this build because it’s the most recent OS I can use with the 1070. First I started with the High Sierra Intel Install Guide:

I have followed the recommended settings for my BIOS and have changed them according to the guide. I hit f8 and load into the Clover boot window, where I select “Install Mac OSX High Sierra”. Things are looking good as the Apple logo appears with a loading bar underneath it. The problem is that the install will get to 99-100% on the loading bar then nothing happens. I have waited 8 hours on one occasion and it still is stuck with an Apple logo and a full loading bar underneath.

I have switched USB sticks as found here:

And have followed alternative BIOS settings as outlined by KingBFire with his Asus Prime mobo here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700-asus-prime-z370-a-geforce-gtx-760.262603/

High Sierra was downloaded via the App store on my mid 2012 MBP Retina. Because it was a partial installer I used diskutil to allocate the files to the correct locations after the full version download finished; as explained here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cted-mac-os-x-installer-is-incomplete.249330/

I also edited the config.plist in Atom to change USB Inject and FixOwnership from False to True as explained here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/stuck-at-apple-logo-and-progress-bar.228245/

All to no avail, the above solutions land me in the same spot; stuck at 99-100% on the initial Apple boot loading screen. Any help is greatly appreciated and I am happy to provide files or screenshots. Thank you in advance!

Calvin

Last edited:
Hello tonymacx86 forums!

This is my first post and official build. Thank you to everyone who has posted and shared information which has assisted in my process. Currently I am running a mid 2012 MacBook Pro Retina i7, with an eGPU Aorus 1070 Gaming Box - OSX High Sierra.

The reason for the post here is that I am running into an error during initial install for High Sierra on my new build.

My components are as listed:

-MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A; Bios Ver. 1105

-Processor: Intel i5 9600k @ 3.7GHz

-RAM: 32GB Crucial DDR4 3000MHz (two 16GB sticks)

-HD1 (Win10): NVMe Samsung Evo 970; 500GB

-HD2 (High Sierra): NVMe Samsung Evo 970; 500GB

-GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 (pulled from the gaming box)

-PSU: Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum

-Qualcomm Wifi Card via PCI
--------------------------------------

I am using High Sierra with this build because it’s the most recent OS I can use with the 1070. First I started with the High Sierra Intel Install Guide:

I get to step 3-4 and am stuck. First I formatted my hard drive with Disk Utility and then again with the diskutil terminal prompt as suggested in the UniBeast troubleshooting tips:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/unibeast-8-troubleshooting-notes.235489/

I have followed the recommended settings for my BIOS and have changed them according to the guide. I hit f8 and load into the Clover boot window, where I select “Install Mac OSX High Sierra”. Things are looking good as the Apple logo appears with a loading bar underneath it. The problem is that the install will get to 99-100% on the loading bar then nothing happens. I have waited 8 hours on one occasion and it still is stuck with an Apple logo and a full loading bar underneath.

I have switched USB sticks as found here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-asus-hero-viii-z170-wont-boot-clover.213662/

And have followed alternative BIOS settings as outlined by KingBFire with his Asus Prime mobo here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700-asus-prime-z370-a-geforce-gtx-760.262603/

High Sierra was downloaded via the App store on my mid 2012 MBP Retina. Because it was a partial installer I used diskutil to allocate the files to the correct locations after the full version download finished; as explained here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cted-mac-os-x-installer-is-incomplete.249330/

I also edited the config.plist in Atom to change USB Inject and FixOwnership from False to True as explained here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/stuck-at-apple-logo-and-progress-bar.228245/

But to no avail, the above solutions get me to the same spot- stuck at 100% on the initial Apple boot loading screen. Any help is greatly appreciated here as I am unsure what to do next. Happy to provide files or screenshots if it will help. Thank you in advance!

Calvin

Hello there.

Well the hardware you have looks good enough for an easy-ish installation.

This problem sounds like the system failing to switch over to the discrete GPU when the time comes to do so. Although it's hard to pin down because you don't have a working installation to check yet.

Two things you can do to start with, to help troubleshoot:

1) Disconnect that Windows 10 SSD until you have the Hackintosh up and running ok.

2) Hopefully the GTX1070 is exactly the same GPU as is available separately when not mounted in a Thunderbolt caddy. Ususally that should work with minimal intervention and only the NVidia Web-Drivers to gain full acceleration on the desktop. However you could try the "nv_disable=1" command-line. This will still give you graphics but pretty poor, jerky and unaccelerated too. Might get you to the desktop though.

3) If things just won't budge you could try installing with the GPU removed, using the Intel on-board iGPU instead, then once up and running replace the GTX 1070 and web-drivers.

:)

Thank you UtterDisbelief for the quick response and recommendations. I will give them a shot and report back.

Well I took your advice and removed the NVMe SSD containing Windows along with the 1070. Unfortunately I get stuck at the same spot. I was experiencing some issues with my 4k monitor so I switched from DP to HDMI and a 1080 screen. Regardless of monitor, extra SSD, or GPU- the install gets stuck seemingly at 100%.

Thank you again for your suggestions, I will keep trying.

The issue with the Display Port cable vs HDMI on the 4k monitor was that it only allowed for things to be visible while using DP. I remedied this by switching to a 1080 monitor using the same HDMI cord.

I ended up upgrading both operating systems to Mojave and am working on a guide to assist others. I cannot use the GTX 1070 in Mojave, but picked up a Vega 64 for $200. The post will include my EFI files. I believe the NVMe error 'assert failed...' - or something along those lines - was fixed in my config.plist, to include a rule addressing this.

I wonder however if I could roll back to High Sierra and see if I copy/paste this rule into the config.plist and utilize the 1070. It's low on the priority list, however, as the 1070 works in Windows. Also sometimes the screen would freeze when using the 1070 in High Sierra as an external gpu.

I moved the post to solved, and will provide a link for others with some steps that may be helpful. Thank you for the assistance from others on these forums!

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back