Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus B150M-A/M.2q
CPU
i5-7500
Graphics
HD 630
I have been using hackintosh since leopard days. I always used separate hard disks for both operating systems. One SSD for windows and one for Mac OS. I am now using Catalina and Windows 10. I was multibooting via clover boot loader. I have no problem while booting and working in mac OS Catalina while both SSDs attached. But when I choose windows, which perfectly loads but after a few minutes blue screen (windows has halted your system) appears and final message is "NTFS.sys has caused error". Windows gets corrupted and I have to restore from a restore point made earlier.

Hardware

Intel i5 4590
Gigabyte GA-H81m-S2PH mother board
8gb ram
Geforce GTX 650Ti (naively supported by Catalina)

I have been using hackintosh since leopard days. I always used separate hard disks for both operating systems. One SSD for windows and one for Mac OS. I am now using Catalina and Windows 10. I was multibooting via clover boot loader. I have no problem while booting and working in mac OS Catalina while both SSDs attached. But when I choose windows, which perfectly loads but after a few minutes blue screen (windows has halted your system) appears and final message is "NTFS.sys has caused error". Windows gets corrupted and I have to restore from a restore point made earlier.

Hardware

Intel i5 4590
Gigabyte GA-H81m-S2PH mother board
8gb ram
Geforce GTX 650Ti (naively supported by Catalina)
Is the only thing you added to clover to get Catalina to work SSDT-EC.aml?

Try clover boot menu Options/ACPI/drop tables and uncheck or disable the SSDT. Just a hunch but easy enough to test.

@raoimtiaz60,

Are you writing to the NTFS drive from MacOS ?

If yes then you must use a 3rd party NTFS file system driver such as Tuxera or Paragon NTFS ...

The built in Apple NTFS driver in MacOS is fine for reading NTFS drives but you should never enable it for NTFS writing as it is known to corrupt NTFS drives which why NTFS writing is disabled by default.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@raoimtiaz60,

Are you writing to the NTFS drive from MacOS ?

If yes then you must use a 3rd party NTFS file system driver such as Tuxera or Paragone NTFS ...

The built in Apple NTFS driver in MacOS is fine for reading NTFS drives but you should never enable it for NTFS writing as it is known to corrupt NTFS drives which why it NTFS writing is disabled by default.

Cheers
Jay
I think it’s just a dual boot issue? Clover drivers? Two separate drives.

Is the only thing you added to clover to get Catalina to work SSDT-EC.aml?

Try clover boot menu Options/ACPI/drop tables and uncheck or disable the SSDT. Just a hunch but easy enough to test.
I am not using any ssdt, I simply installed catalina with the help of unibeast usb, then installed clover bootloader. In mac I am using tuxera NTFS 2018 but in windows nothing, no paragon apfs or hfs etc. Problem is in windows not in mac os. Now a days I detach mac os ssd from the system when using windows. there wont be any problem until I use mac ssd with windows ssd attached. Mac os runs smoothly. Next time when I start windows this problem comes out from no where. I googled for any solution from Microsoft but there is non.

... there wont be any problem until I use mac ssd with windows ssd attached. Mac os runs smoothly. Next time when I start windows this problem comes out from no where.

Hi there,

So logically that points towards the Tuxera NTFS driver because it runs while the Windows SSD is attached. Perhaps it writes something? macOS does not default write to NTFS without some help.

When you boot Windows with the mac SSD detached, do you boot from BIOS "Windows Boot Manager" or Clover, or ...?

:)

I am using tuxera NTFS 2018 but in windows nothing

So logically that points towards the Tuxera NTFS driver because it runs while the Windows SSD is attached. Perhaps it writes something? macOS does not default write to NTFS without some help.

@raoimtiaz60, @UtterDisbelief,

I've been using Tuxera for many many years on four different hacks to read and write to NTFS drives (SSD's, NVMe's and spinning rust) and have never suffered any NTFS corruption. Tuxera has always worked well for me ....

Having said that @UtterDisbelief's conclusion is logical in that something must be happening to the NTFS drive while running MacOS, although i'm not sure what, have never seen anything like this myself.

One suggestion I have is to use a different/spare NTFS formatted data drive for files that need to be read and written to in MacOS and Windoze rather than using the Windoze boot drive ... thats how i've always done it, Windoze is too fragile IMO to be messing around with the boot drive in a foreign OS.

You could also try disabling the Windoze Quick Boot feature ... which is a bit like MacOS's kernel cache only not as well implemented ... it takes a snap shot of the state of the Windoze before shutting down and restores it on boot. It's possible that if the file system is written to by a foreign OS or PC it will not match the last file state that Windoze quick boot feature restores the system too .... not sure if this if this is the cause but it is a possibility.

Windows quick boot is enabled by default ... I always turn it off ..

Cheers
Jay

Hi there,

When you boot Windows with the mac SSD detached, do you boot from BIOS "Windows Boot Manager" or Clover, or ...?

When mac OS SSD is detached there is no clover startup meno. Windows SSd is the first booting device in bios

When mac OS SSD is detached there is no clover startup meno. Windows SSd is the first booting device in bios

That implies that Clover is where it should be, in the EFI partition of your macOS SSD.
When Windows is installed in UEFI mode then it too has an EFI folder with Microsoft boot files in it, and the Windows Boot Manager entry appears in the BIOS.
So at a guess you have 2x EFI partitions, one on each drive.

But that doesn't help your problem ... o_O

Hi there,

That implies that Clover is where it should be, in the EFI partition of your macOS SSD.
When Windows is installed in UEFI mode then it too has an EFI folder with Microsoft boot files in it, and the Windows Boot Manager entry appears in the BIOS.
So at a guess you have 2x EFI partitions, one on each drive.

But that doesn't help your problem ... o_O
yes, but using one ssd at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back