Contribute
Register

Strange ElCap Video Issues with GTX 660 ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
<< need manufacturer and model # >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
660GTX Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. LC
  4. Performa
  5. Power Mac
  6. Quadra
  7. SE
  8. Workgroup Server
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Dear All!

I have my build in use since 2018, and ignored some small issues in displaying previews etc. since then, cause it runs pretty smooth and very stable. But now I did give it to my daughter, and the issues makes usage of the app "TV Paint" impossible, because some transparent function in the "light table" is not working, You cannot see the clip image of the drawing one frame earlier, so its unusable.
(On the macpro 6,1 it works (but the shame is, the 1x GTX660ti is faster in Cinebench then the 2x AMD Fire Pro on the MacPro 6,1!!))

The build:
Its an ASUS H97-PLUS (ALC888B,RTL8111/8168/8411) / Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti / i7-4790K (no overclocking, everything basic) / 32 GB RAM

I did choose the GTX 660 because it is supposed to work with 10.11 out of the box.

The sys was made with Unibeast-USB and Multibeast, Intel 9 Series Motherboard Support, DSDT free (if i remember correct), nv-inj=no, def. is iMac13,1

So the issues first showed that some previews of files in finder won´t work (like .mov and mp4 of m4v files) and VLC will crash often on the end of a videofile, it can only be restarted by ctr+alt+esc kill.

more annoying was, that the video files of my huawei cellphone where not be able to played, even not on VLC, I found only the old Videolayer from Roxio TOAST CD Burn app "Roxio Player" could play the files.

So my first try to solve the prob was the Nvidia Webdriver.

BUT unfortunately my system def is OSX 10.11.6 15G1010 and there is no Nvidia Webdriver for 15G1010, just 15G1008 or 15G11...
I tried to patch the sys identification of the NV-driver, but it always resulted into a Java Error without install.

I hope You have some idea!

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-26 um 15.40.00.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-26 um 15.40.00.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-26 um 15.40.09.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-26 um 15.40.09.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 30
Dear All!

I have my build in use since 2018, and ignored some small issues in displaying previews etc. since then, cause it runs pretty smooth and very stable. But now I did give it to my daughter, and the issues makes usage of the app "TV Paint" impossible, because some transparent function in the "light table" is not working, You cannot see the clip image of the drawing one frame earlier, so its unusable.
(On the macpro 6,1 it works (but the shame is, the 1x GTX660ti is faster in Cinebench then the 2x AMD Fire Pro on the MacPro 6,1!!))

The build:
Its an ASUS H97-PLUS (ALC888B,RTL8111/8168/8411) / Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti / i7-4790K (no overclocking, everything basic) / 32 GB RAM

I did choose the GTX 660 because it is supposed to work with 10.11 out of the box.

The sys was made with Unibeast-USB and Multibeast, Intel 9 Series Motherboard Support, DSDT free (if i remember correct), nv-inj=no, def. is iMac13,1

So the issues first showed that some previews of files in finder won´t work (like .mov and mp4 of m4v files) and VLC will crash often on the end of a videofile, it can only be restarted by ctr+alt+esc kill.

more annoying was, that the video files of my huawei cellphone where not be able to played, even not on VLC, I found only the old Videolayer from Roxio TOAST CD Burn app "Roxio Player" could play the files.

So my first try to solve the prob was the Nvidia Webdriver.

BUT unfortunately my system def is OSX 10.11.6 15G1010 and there is no Nvidia Webdriver for 15G1010, just 15G1008 or 15G11...
I tried to patch the sys identification of the NV-driver, but it always resulted into a Java Error without install.

I hope You have some idea!

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Hi there.

I think I would remove the Nvidia web-drivers because your gtx660 should work without. After you remove remember to rebuild the kextcaches with Terminal: sudo kextcache -i /

Next, try a different system-definition like iMac14,2 just to see if that helps.

Keep that UniBeast boot stick handy in case anything goes wrong.

:)

Hi UtterDisbelief!

Thanks for the reply! There is no Nv Web driver.

I never was able to install the nvidia web drivers, because my 10.11.6 build is not in the list of drivers!

It is a pure OS X install without any nv inject or so, this is why I am so ???

Last edited:
Hi UtterDisbelief!

Thanks for the reply! There is no Nv Web driver.

I never was able to install the nvidia web drivers, because my 10.11.6 build is not in the list of drivers!

It is a pure OS X install without any nv inject or so, this is why I am so ???

Okay, understood.

Well something is causing your problems. Perhaps read the compatibility guide and check exactly what make and chipset your GTX660 has. (GK not GF etc.) The problems you describe sound like a hardware acceleration issue. Also early XFX branded cards had VBIOS issues.

Thank You!

I will check out the exact model and post it here!

According to Techpowerup website, there was no GTX 660 by XFX that used the GK106 core that had all the memory leakage issues. So it's probably GK104 that doesn't suffer from those same issues.

Okay, understood.

Well something is causing your problems. Perhaps read the compatibility guide and check exactly what make and chipset your GTX660 has. (GK not GF etc.) The problems you describe sound like a hardware acceleration issue. Also early XFX branded cards had VBIOS issues.

If I would get a new Graphicscard for ElCapitan (10.11.6) I saw the full compatibility would be with the Radeon HD 7870, which AMD-GraKa for 10.11 would You recommend?

Thank You for the help!

If I would get a new Graphicscard for ElCapitan (10.11.6) I saw the full compatibility would be with the Radeon HD 7870, which AMD-GraKa for 10.11 would You recommend?

Thank You for the help!

It's all here on the Tonymacx86 web-site. Take a look here for details of AMD GPUs:

Though personally I'd stick with GTX660 unless you have found a technical reason why it's not usable.

So far the iMac 14,2 removed all the preview of mp4 files - issues, many thanks!!

Strange now after reboot (black screen with white Apple) it takes ~ 10 seconds until the desktop flashes up, but the mouse pointer is there from the very begin on the black screens.

I did do full user kernel cash delete with onyx and all this things like repair permission and scripts, aso.

I´m personally also a nVidia fan, but the TV-Paint issue is still there, I must now exclude the problem on side of the software and remove the p.list files and reinstall it new.

If that doesn´t help I go for the 7870, that should work oob

Dear UtterDisbelief, dear TRS96!

The system runs now perfect, TVPaint shows now the priview slide!
It seems iMac 13,1 -> 14,2 was the very point of problem + help.

I had some "nvidia webdriver" cache files of the failed webdriver installs, deleting them manually out of
HD/Lib/chaces was also helpful it seems.

My GTX 660 ti is running smooth and perfect, it´s a Gigabyte by the way.

Thank You all and have nice new year 2021!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back