Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Stork's Sandy Bridge Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000 - Lion

Too bad you used an i3 processor on the Z68X-UD3H mobo. The i5-2500K and i7-2600K don't have the artifacting in iTunes.

tonymacx86 recommend the Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MED9X4/
The 6500 series are not recommended. However, depending upon your use, there are some Nvidia cards that work OOB. See the tonymacx86 Recommended Builds (and Components) blog post. (Link in my signature block.)

Another option is to sell the i3 and purchase the i5-2600K. If you have a Micro Center nearby, they are $179 plus tax & gas to get there and back.

but what about the hdcp error that i cant play any downloaded hd movies in itunes

I've never tried an HD movie from the iTunes store on Zorro since I have a Mac Mini HTPC where Zorro lives.

Sounds like a non HDCP compliant cable and/or monitor. Are you using a monitor or HDTV to view the HD movies?

I recommend you post your problem in the HTPC or Graphics forum sections where more knowledgeable eyes will see your post.

i have a dual boot system and it works fine in windows using itunes and watvhing the same movie

Stork said:
grantnlee,
After I wrote my original post, I was involved in beta testing the UniBeast installation. (I was Beta testing a noob install.) I decided to do a clean install starting with the Snow Leopard Installation DVD. I reloaded the BIOS with a clean Optimize settings and set up the BIOS via my build description, and I used the tonymacx86 Sandy Bridge method to load Snow Leopard (see last link in my signature block). This got me to SL 10.6.8, but only had low resolution - 1024x768, IIRC. :p

I then re-downloaded the Install Lion app from the MAS. I created the UniBeast USB stick using check list version of the tonymacx86 UniBeast installation guide and installed Lion. I then had the correct resolution for my monitor (1920x1200). :clap:

Since that time, I have not had the occasion to do a clean SL installation. BTW, I have a backup of the last SL 10.6.8 for each system. (Probably, horribly out of date by now, app update wise.)

BTW, I've only had to reset my network via the previous posted link since 10.7.2 (again, IIRC).

As I've said in my build description and in this series of posts, it's easy as falling off a log. I recommend you sacrifice a chicken and try again. :lol:

Another thought. I disconnected all harddrives except the installation drive, using only the DVD and SSD. I also have the BIOS setup to boot from the SSD. Then I don't have to worry about which drive is connected to what SATA connector.

Strange, as it sounds so very similar except I was not able to boot from my HDD nor able to get into the Apple Store. So, anyways, I bought the EVGA 8400GS as mentioned, and it arrived this afternoon. I dropped it into my system and changed nothing at all. Immediately, I can boot directly from the hard drive and just got into and created my Apple Store account... Strange.

At this point, I must decide whether to spend $30 to move to Lion and hence get off of my 8400GS and onto the HD3000. In any case I have some additional work remaining as I am still at low res 1024x768... Is Lion worth it or is 10.6.8 the same experience?

Jay

I'm running Lion and can't tell that I don't have a graphics card. I'm driving two monitors one at 1920x1200 and another at 1600x?. But, I'm just doing general purpose computing with some light GarageBand work.

I've done nothing different than I wrote in my build description to achieve these results.

grantnlee said:
Stork said:
grantnlee,
After I wrote my original post, I was involved in beta testing the UniBeast installation. (I was Beta testing a noob install.) I decided to do a clean install starting with the Snow Leopard Installation DVD. I reloaded the BIOS with a clean Optimize settings and set up the BIOS via my build description, and I used the tonymacx86 Sandy Bridge method to load Snow Leopard (see last link in my signature block). This got me to SL 10.6.8, but only had low resolution - 1024x768, IIRC. :p

I then re-downloaded the Install Lion app from the MAS. I created the UniBeast USB stick using check list version of the tonymacx86 UniBeast installation guide and installed Lion. I then had the correct resolution for my monitor (1920x1200). :clap:

Since that time, I have not had the occasion to do a clean SL installation. BTW, I have a backup of the last SL 10.6.8 for each system. (Probably, horribly out of date by now, app update wise.)

BTW, I've only had to reset my network via the previous posted link since 10.7.2 (again, IIRC).

As I've said in my build description and in this series of posts, it's easy as falling off a log. I recommend you sacrifice a chicken and try again. :lol:

Another thought. I disconnected all harddrives except the installation drive, using only the DVD and SSD. I also have the BIOS setup to boot from the SSD. Then I don't have to worry about which drive is connected to what SATA connector.

Strange, as it sounds so very similar except I was not able to boot from my HDD nor able to get into the Apple Store. So, anyways, I bought the EVGA 8400GS as mentioned, and it arrived this afternoon. I dropped it into my system and changed nothing at all. Immediately, I can boot directly from the hard drive and just got into and created my Apple Store account... Strange.

At this point, I must decide whether to spend $30 to move to Lion and hence get off of my 8400GS and onto the HD3000. In any case I have some additional work remaining as I am still at low res 1024x768... Is Lion worth it or is 10.6.8 the same experience?

Jay

Yeah, Success! Running full resolution on my 8400GS. Ended up editing an info.plist to add the details of this card (may or may not have been needed) and then upgrading the nvidia driver (which could only be done via booting from iBoot). First time I have had OSX in 1080p. Sweet!

Definitely a learning experience since I have no idea how to navigate around a Mac. There's so much to read out here on the forums (like threads that are 38 pages long) and then there might be 5 ways that people have tried to solve a problem. And then of course people talk in terms that experienced users are familiar with but go right over my head! Fun stuff so long as you have the time to read, read, read...

Thanks for the help Stork!

Jay

Interesting... I just popped my old 19" VGA monitor into the 8400GS and it works perfectly fine as a second monitor at full resolution... I am now dual screen! Was not expecting that to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back