Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lion 10.7.4 Update

I updated Zorro to 10.7.4 with MultiBeast 4.5.1 successfully! Here's how (note this for Sandy Bridge with i5/i7 processors, espcially the K processors):

Before I did update to 10.7.3, I took a GeekBench 32bit "reading" in order to compare the P States and to see if the i7 SSDT is working.
Geekbench32bit1073.png
I Repaired Permissions with the Disk Utility and backed up / cloned the drive with Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). Then, I downloaded and ran the 10.7.4 Combo Update. Before re-booting, I re-ran MultBeast with the following configuration using the information from tonymacx86's blogs and Announcement postings. Since I had not run MultiBeast in a long time - since the 10.7.3 update - I decide you do a complete MultiBeast configuration as several of the Kexts have been update in MultiBeast Version 4.5.1. Thus, I checked the UserDSDT to get the latest default items. Note: I didn't pick Lnx2Mac's Ethernet driver this time as tonymacx86 told me the Ethernet driver is not replaced by the Combo Update this time. :thumbup:
MultiBeast 4.5.1 Full Refresh for Combo Update to 10.7.4 for Zorro
MultiBeast451for1074.png
If I had recently ran MultiBeast and didn't need the latest and greatest UserDSDT defaults, then, here's what I would run for Zorro:
General MultiBeast 4.5.1 Combo Update to 10.7.4
MultiBeast451updateonlyto1074.png
However, I didn't have sound even after selecting it in the above MB configuration which sometimes happens. No big deal. I re-ran MultiBeast, this time just selecting the following:
  • System Utilities
    Drivers & Bootloaders>Kext & Enablers>Audo>Realtek ALC8xx>ALC8xxHDA & AppleRollback
I had sound now. Don't know why I had to run it twice, but others have experienced the same problem.

Lastly, I ran Repair Permissions in the Disk Utility to make sure everybody is properly talking to each other.

Now for the GeekBench run:
Geekbench32bit1074.png
Close enough. The SSDT for the i7 (not OC'd) worked. :clap:

Notes:
1. ASUS Sandy Bridge users, or anyone who has a stock BIOS on locked MSR UEFI motherboards (MSI, Foxconn, ASRock, Sandy Bridge Laptops), see tonymacx86's thread on using the Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kexts in the above updates. Also see tonymax86's blog post on the 10.7.4 update for more information. http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012/05/mac-os-x-1074-update.html

2. For those of you who want to get the gorry details of the the SpeedStepper Issue, MacMan's thread is a must read.
10.7.4 Sandy Bridge CPU Power Management Fix --> viewtopic.php?f=169&t=60811

3. See tonymacx86's original post in this thread for the latest information. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=59886

Re: Stork's Sandy Bridge Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000 - Lion

Stork said:
dm5253,
My memory is reporting correctly. What does it say in the BIOS? Could be it's a reporting issue in OS X.

Thanks Stork, everything was reporting correctly in the BIOS. Funny thing I went out a bought two more sticks and now they all four show up correctly, strange but hey I won't complain.

great build... love the case!!! :clap: :headbang:

Hey Stork, just wanted to thank you so much for the detailed instructions and screen shots on how to upgrade to 10.7.4. I completed the upgrade this morning following your exact steps. I, too, noted a small drop in Geekbench scores but am not too bothered about it.

Thanks again for all you and the other guys do. :thumbup:

EddyMac, et al,
Thanks. I'm glad my "how to" help you and others get through the update w/o issues.

EddyMac, I'm assuming you're system is working well for you. Zorro is just so "snappy" that I love it. However, my Batman system is going well too with an almost 11,000 Geekbench score. Still life in the 1st generation Core i3/i5/i7 and P55 mobo systems.

Yes, been going great for months now. I use it as a full production machine for graphic design, book publishing, and just everyday tasks like email, browsing the internet, iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, etc. Tons faster than my old Mac Pro and a fraction of the cost of buying a new one. Can't ask for more really. I had some minor glitches in the early days mostly due to my own own ignorance. Now that I have a great setup that's rock solid I will probably just keep it like this for years to come.

EddyMac said:
Yes, been going great for months now. I use it as a full production machine for graphic design, book publishing, and just everyday tasks like email, browsing the internet, iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, etc. Tons faster than my old Mac Pro and a fraction of the cost of buying a new one. Can't ask for more really. I had some minor glitches in the early days mostly due to my own own ignorance. Now that I have a great setup that's rock solid I will probably just keep it like this for years to come.
Outstanding! How's the 6850 doing for you? What kind did you get?

I got the Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047ZGIUK/

It required a little tweaking to get it working, but once done, it has worked like a charm and is super quiet (compared to the Gigabyte version I tried).

What tweaking was necessary? BTW, did it replace the 460 that's in your signature block? :eek:

Well, I was thinking I had to add some stuff to org.chameleon.Boot.plist but I'm not seeing that now. Must have been one of the other cards I tried. Sorry.

It does require a Display Port to DVI cable to be plugged into the card...you can't use two DVI to DVI cables for hooking up. Not a biggie, but can cause some frustration if you don't know ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back