Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Stork's Sandy Bridge Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000 - Lion

hi Stork!

I made a couple of weeks ago this system for a friend of my.
Now he's having problems with his USB ports, where all the ports lose connection...
He's using a Avid MBox Mini on the backside and at the front there are a keyboard, mouse, external USB drives connected...

Do you have or had some of these problems ?

kind regards!

No, I don't have any problems losing USB connections. When does this lose occur? There are reports of it happening upon wake-up from sleep, but the USB external devices take up to 10 seconds to come on line.

There is a Beta DSDT for the Z68X-UD3H mobo that MacMan has modified to that I'm using with success for the sleep/wake-up. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50063

Stork, I've finally read the whole 35 pages, it was a good reading.... :clap: and I'm about to prepare my built list 90% like yours, probably for the case I'll use Fractal Design Define R3 to reduce the noise.

I'm a musician keyboard player (amateur) and this will be my first attempt to cross to from the Dark side (Windows :twisted: ) to the Light side (Apple :angel: ), well I've being playing with Garage Band on IOS on my iPad and iPhone for several months and that was the extra push I needed, my fellow musicians all use Mac and they've being pushing for several years.
I will have dual boot and keep my Windows as I have too much invested in software and plug ins for music, and with all the money I'm saving with my Hackintosh Pro (over $1500), I'll most likely spend some money on Logic 9 Studio ($499).

I know I'll find a lot of information on other forums specialized on Audio Processing , Logic, Etc. but my post here is not about music, it's about dual monitors.
I'm planning on going step by step on my migration to Mac OS, following Tonymacx86 tutorials, and all the compiled knowledge on this forums, so I decided to start with Snow Leopard, but having Lion on the future once I have my built stable, at least, for several months.

Your post started last year, several months ago, and many thing that were a problem were solved in time thanks to updates from MultiBeast, DSDT, KEXT, etc. and help from many people, so without further ado, here are my two questions:

Z68X-UD3H (F9) + Snow Leopard (10.6) + HD3000 will support 2 HDMI Monitors both at 1920X1080?

Using a GA-Z68XP-UD4 instead of Z68X-UD3H will make things more complicated?

Thanks in advance for all your help on this

Máximo

megasis said:
...here are my two questions:

Z68X-UD3H (F9) + Snow Leopard (10.6) + HD3000 will support 2 HDMI Monitors both at 1920X1080?

Using a GA-Z68XP-UD4 instead of Z68X-UD3H will make things more complicated?

Thanks in advance for all your help on this

Máximo
The Z68XP-UD4 only has a HDMI port. So, if you want to run two or more monitors, you'll need a graphics card like the AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6870 which are now more affordable (see the link in my signature block for tonymacx86's Recommend Builds (and Components) for more info on graphics cards).

I'm running HD3000 just fine with the Z68X-UD3H with two monitors, one of which has 1920x1200 and the other monitor is 1600xsomething. HD 3000 will support two monitors at 1920x1200, but don't expect gamer's like response. It's good enough for my humble GarageBand recordings. You can at least start out with HD 3000, and, then, should you want better graphics on two monitors, invest in a better graphics card like the 6870 which has the potential of driving four monitors. At least by going with HD3000 in the beginning, you can put off spending $150+ USD for a graphics card. :thumbup:

Good Luck! Happy Hackintoshing! Let the music rock on...

Stork said:
Stork's 3rd Build - GA-Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000 - Lion
If I was installing OS X from scratch, I would install Snow Leopard using the tonymacx86 Installation Guide for Sandy Bridge Systems and, then, install Lion using the xMove+MultiBeast Guide . I used these methods several times, and I've never had a problem. I print out the instructions and check each step off with a pen or pencil so I don't inadvertently skip a step.

Stork, being a noob, this sounds like an approach that I can handle. But I am in the middle of re-installing Snow Leopard to get a fresh start, and it crossed my mind, what happens if I need to re-install Lion? How can I make sure to be able to re-apply that $29.99 Lion upgrade again to a fresh installation in the future if (when?) I need to re-install from scratch? Easy with an 8GB thumb drive... Is it just as 'easy' with this approach?

Thanks,

Jay

LOL! Guilty of violating my own rules - forgot to update my original post, which I've now updated to reflect using UniBeast instead of xMove. :eek: :lol:

You can reinstall Lion anytime if you've still got the UniBeast created Lion USB thumb drive. If you don't, consider keeping a USB stick dedicated to the UniBeast Lion installation; they're cheap enough now a days. :thumbup:

If you didn't keep your UniBeast thumb drive setup, then you can re-download Lion (the latest verson) from the Mac App Store once you've settled into 10.6.8. Since you've paid for it once,
  • :ch: open the App Store app;
    :ch: holding down the Option key, click on Purchases;
    :ch: you'll now see your purchases with a Download and/or Install button highlighted on the right side of the App Store window;
    :ch: download the latest Install Lion app (OS X Lion) which will take a while, but cancel when it wants to install; and
    :ch: create the new UniBeast USB thumb drive.

It's just that easy. :thumbup: Every time a new version comes out, I do the above steps to keep a latest (and greatest) UniBeast USB thumb drive on hand.

Oh...yes...go have breakfast/lunch/snack/dinner/bedtime snack while downloading Lion again. :lol:

The initial part of the UniBeast process is a little vague to me... It says to go "download the Application from the Mac App Store". Okay, is it simply a file that I will be downlaoding? The xMove instructions (understood I am not using xMove in the process but they are insightful none the less) implied that when I purchase Lion, it will actually install the files within Snow Leopard. The link is here...

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... -lion.html

Just want to make sure I understand what/where I will end up with. Will it be one zip file or multiple and hence easy to get ready for UniBeast to create the bootable thumb drive?

Jay

Yes, it will be a single file you will be downloading. I thought you downloaded it once before from your previous post.
...what happens if I need to re-install Lion?
The file that is downloaded is called "Install Mac OS X Lion," and it's placed in your /Applications directory/folder. This is the file that UniBeast will use.

I have printed out the UniBeast Guide and use it every time I create a new UniBeast Lion USB thumb drive. I check off each step so as not to miss a step. I've beta tested UniBeast and helped tonymacx86 debug the Guide. It's as easy as falling off a log.

Now, if you have access to a Mac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion (say a friend's Mac), you can use that Mac to create the UniBeast USB thumb drive - you don't have to install Snow Leopard. Just create your own Mac App Store (MAS) account (don't use your friend's existing MAS account).

Go for it!

Thanks Stork. Could you take a look over here at this link... viewtopic.php?f=169&t=59428&p=369896#p369896 I've been talking with 'jester969' about getting Snow Lepord running so that I can get to the Apple Store to actually download Lion. I do not know anyone with a Mac that I can use, so have to build Snow Leopard to get it.

But the challenge has been that I do not have a video card. So I was working to get Snow Leopard running on HD3000 graphics in low res mode simply to get to the Apple Store and download Lion. At that point the plan is to install Lion where HD3000 is supported at other resolutions.

So at this point, I have 10.6.8 running on HD3000 but I use iBoot to get it started each time. Very educationaly process to push through the process. Most interesting is that with my mobo, I have yet to run MultiBeast. This just seems very strange to me as I understood it to be such a crucial part of the process. The reality is that my unfamiliarity with everything being done by MultiBeast was actually complicating the process more than needed.

So now I am off to download Lion... And to go fishing in while it downloads. No, really, taking my 6 year old daughter fishing this afternoon once it begins downloading!

Thanks for any additional advice before I jump in head to the next step.

Jay

Commented similarly on the other thread. Maybe you have a thought as well Stork...

I am able to load into 10.6.8 with iBoot. But I cannot boot directly into 10.6.8. Probably because I have not run MultiBeast. But alas, Apple Store does not recognize my device.

Any suggestion for the most *minimal* changes I might make that would allow Apple to recognize my setup? Obviously I am only looking to download Lion, so not looking to make any more changes to 10.6.8 than necessary to get Lion!

Is it possibly the System Definition in MultiBeast that would make my system recognizable to the Apple Store?

Thanks,

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back