Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

I remember 128 GB gave problems on Z390 Designare, don't know if these were ever solved.
I see.
So it seems I can either go Mojave with 64gb of memory on Z390 and i9 9th gen, or Catalina/Big Sur with 128gb on Z490 and i9 10th gen (and a massive possibly catastrophic three-week pain in the neck to update over 700 plugins and Digital Performer that is still not updated either).
Frustrating, as always in a situation where systems are migrating from a system to another.
Btw, thaks guys for the exchange of information.
Cheers.

I see.
So it seems I can either go Mojave with 64gb of memory on Z390 and i9 9th gen, or Catalina/Big Sur with 128gb on Z490 and i9 10th gen (and a massive possibly catastrophic three-week pain in the neck to update over 700 plugins and Digital Performer that is still not updated either).
Frustrating, as always in a situation where systems are migrating from a system to another.
Btw, thaks guys for the exchange of information.
Cheers.
Don't know if a Z490 doesn't have problems with 128 GB. 128 GB is the amount of RAM used on workstation mobo's, using Xeons, not Z390/Z490.
Big Sur is definitely not ready for prime time for DAW users. Catalina will kill all your 32-bit apps.
For large orchestral mockups, my clients used to use extra PC's as sample players, with VEP as a host.
Extra expense, extra maintenance, extra work but for some worth it. Now they use maxed out HP Z workstations or Mac Pro cheesegraters.
BTW, Cubase may be a bit more suitable for huge templates etc.

Thanks guys for the feedback.
Really appreciate it.

I'm wondering if it's possible to install 128 gb of RAM on that mob.
I've read that the Asus Prime Z390 A can handle that much RAM with a firmware update that is available on their website and a thunderbolt pci card can be installed as well.
So maybe that can be an alernative to the Designare you suggested, in case I can't find any new stock in Europe.

I was also wondering if there's any chance music producers can join together in a specific topic to create a killer DAW build guide under Mojave with the best components on the market available today.

That would be cool and much welcome not only for me I guess.

Thanks
Yes, you can use a Prime Z390 A with latest BIOS and 128GB RAM in OS X. I helped a friend with this build over summer.

I think a music production thread could be cool. (See the Forum's Music section.) I think it mostly boils down to do you need Thunderbolt? If yes get something with a Titan Ridge controller and setup hot swap with an SSDT or flash it with modified firmware. (See @CaseySJ's Golden Build descriptions.) If you don’t need Thunderbolt then just get anything.

Big Sur and Catalina are absolutely fine for professional audio work, I updated from High Sierra because all my younger clients want the latest Logic X features that came in LPX10.5 which only runs on Mojave or later.

Earlier this year I was doing all the audio for a reasonably big film, and for anyone who has worked on these large scale projects and actually knows how much RAM is used on a project with 200+ tracks that are 90 mins long; 128GB is not overkill. Set up some test projects and see how much RAM you can even theoretically use with loads of channels and VI’s.

The way I see it you have two options - Mojave or Big Sur. Personally, I wouldn’t want to throw a bunch of money into an older system for temporary compatibility. BUT all of us music guys have completely different setups and requirements.

Good luck with the build.

Last edited:
Hi. I am new to the Hackintosh world and to this forum. I apologize if this is not the place for this message but I have not seen a better place to post it. I've been trying to install Catalina for 3 days but it's impossible, I can't get to the installation screen. I have tried Unibeast and Opencore, I have done up to 4 times the USB with the EFI folders. I have read many forum threads and watched various videos ... But still I get nothing. Could someone please help me? I am really lost and desperate. I attach my EFI Folder.

My computer:
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
i9 10900K
Gigabyte Radeon rx 5700 xt OC Gaming

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 76
Could someone please help me? I am really lost and desperate. I attach my EFI Folder.
I put your config.plist in the online OC Sanity checker. Here's something that is notable.
Do you have the option to disable CFG lock in the BIOS ? If so disable it and then
change the Kernel -> Quirks -> AppleXcpmCfgLock to no. Also change AppleCpuPmCfglock
to No instead of Yes.

Save the config.plist changes and reboot.

Screen Shot 10.jpg

Another thing you can try. Remove the SMCSuperIO.kext from your kexts folder. Take a new OC snapshot and then save it again and reboot. Sometimes that kext can cause kernel panics when booting the installer. Worth a try.

Screen Shot 11.jpg

Hi! thank you.

About the CFG look, i read that Asus Z490 is unlocket. I removed the SMCSuperIO.kext and had a Critical error.

Attachments

• opencore-2021-01-31-024433.txt
    256 KB · Views: 61
Hi! thank you.

About the CFG look, i read that Asus Z490 is unlocket. I removed the SMCSuperIO.kext and had a Critical error.
Likely because the kext is still cached. Rebuild the kernel cache.

02:197 00:084 OC: Plist Kexts\SMCSuperIO.kext\Contents\Info.plist is missing for injected kext SMCSuperIO.kext ()

I lost my EFI folder :O i will remake it and try.

Back