Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

Make sure you have the right drive selected in the bios first. If you are good there then once you boot into OSX go into the system settings and change which drive boots first in Start Up Drive.

Hi!

My MacOs HD, where I have installed Catalina, does not appear in the BIOS, only is showed the Windows HD and the USB Installation (with EFI and Catalina). When I start the computer, I always have to push F10 to select the UEFI USB installer to go Catalina. I think that it is not correct way to do it. Right?

That sounds like a graphics issue, try fully unplugging the computer from the wall power socket for a few mins and try again.

I built basically an identical system and got it working so I'm sure we can get yours to work. I'm a bit busy to check your whole config but will get to it soon. For now try this:

- Update to latest BIOS
- Boot windows and re-generate any SSDT files you need based on the guide,
- Disable onboard audio and intel LAN temporarily until we get you booted in. (I think this could be a LAN issue)
- Try different USB ports when booting the installer.
- Double check your BIOS settings against the guide and also storks settings.

If you get totally stuck I can share my config but then you'd learn nothing! Good luck, don't give up yet!

edit: Looking at your Verbose output it definitely indicates an SSDT error, and also a problem with the XHCI controller, which is likely related to the SSDT error.
@ctek, system seems squared away for now, using a similar board configuration
but you lifted the spirit at its lowest point ;)

Hi!

My MacOs HD, where I have installed Catalina, does not appear in the BIOS, only is showed the Windows HD and the USB Installation (with EFI and Catalina). When I start the computer, I always have to push F10 to select the UEFI USB installer to go Catalina. I think that it is not correct way to do it. Right?
after noting down *all* the BIOS configuration, perform a reset/clear CMOS
then re-configure the BIOS again as necessary

Hi,

Thanks so much for your help. Can you help me about it? The extra LAN PCIe, works? Or only the integrated LAN works ? Also anyone have WIFI card, which one is good?

Thanks!
You're very welcome, so close now!

- The built-in LAN (Intel 2.5Gb) can work with a bit of tweaking, thanks to the help of @dolgarrenan - you will need his SSDT linked in post #13, and you need to add..
device-id Data F2150000

under PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0) in Device Properties -> Add.

Read dortania guide under comet lake -> device properties for more info.

Then... you need to add two fakepciid kexts from post #15 as per @Stork's procedure in the OP.

- If you want to use the included 10Gb LAN card it will completely disable the Usb-C ports on the back (including thunderbolt), you will also need to add a kernel patch, see my post #27

- Wifi Card wise I use a Fenvi T919 and it works flawlessly, others may work but i've only had experience with this one.

Just keep the config simple as possible until you're booting without the usb without issue, when you get to the post install section there is some really helpful stuff in the earlier part of this thread, in particular you will need to do something about the RTC clock. gl

EDIT: If you are having problems booting without the usb stick then you haven't read the dortania 'post install' guide fully, go back and read it again.

Last edited:
You're very welcome, so close now!

- The built-in LAN (Intel 2.5Gb) can work with a bit of tweaking, thanks to the help of @dolgarrenan - you will need his SSDT linked in post #13, and you need to add..
device-id Data F2150000

under PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0) in Device Properties -> Add.

Read dortania guide under comet lake -> device properties for more info.

Then... you need to add two fakepciid kexts from post #15 as per @Stork's procedure in the OP.

- If you want to use the included 10Gb LAN card it will completely disable the Usb-C ports on the back (including thunderbolt), you will also need to add a kernel patch, see my post #27

- Wifi Card wise I use a Fenvi T919 and it works flawlessly, others may work but i've only had experience with this one.

Just keep the config simple as possible until you're booting without the usb without issue, when you get to the post install section there is some really helpful stuff in the earlier part of this thread, in particular you will need to do something about the RTC clock. gl

EDIT: If you are having problems booting without the usb stick then you haven't read the dortania 'post install' guide fully, go back
and read it again.

Hi!

Finally, I am going to work without 10GB LAN card. I need the USB-C ports. I will buy the wifi card in the future. At this moment I'm using the LAN cable as it is no problem for me.

Today I have the ASUS USB BT-400 to put Bluetooth on my hackintosh. Now, the mouse and keyboard by Bluetooth are working. But, when I re-start or turn on the computer, the mouse and keybord don't work to select between different bootloader opction: Windows, MacOS, etc. I have to connect a keyboard cable to select any option.

Please, anyone can help me ?

Hi!

Finally, I am going to work without 10GB LAN card. I need the USB-C ports. I will buy the wifi card in the future. At this moment I'm using the LAN cable as it is no problem for me.

Today I have the ASUS USB BT-400 to put Bluetooth on my hackintosh. Now, the mouse and keyboard by Bluetooth are working. But, when I re-start or turn on the computer, the mouse and keybord don't work to select between different bootloader opction: Windows, MacOS, etc. I have to connect a keyboard cable to select any option.

Please, anyone can help me ?
I don't think BIOS supports bluetooth
i.e. your input devices won't be usable until macOS is fully up & running
my recommendation is attach at least a wired mouse or wired keyboard
esp. a wired mouse (chances are you hv an old one from long time ago)

Last edited:
Yes, Bluetooth is supported in the BIOS. I use my Apple Magic Mouse occasionally in the BIOS. I'm using the Fenvi T919 WiFi/BT PCIe card as listed in OP. I also have a Logitech K760 keyboard that works in the BIOS; it has it's own USB dongle for wireless.

Coincidentally my USB keyboard died yesterday, and I’ve borrowed an official Apple Magic keyboard and tested this today. It works in BIOS and OpenCore boot loader over Bluetooth. But I do have to hit the keys 2 or 3 times first before it pairs and lets me select an option. My Bluetooth is built into the Fenvi T919. Try hitting the arrow keys a few times first.

Last edited:
Coincidentally my USB keyboard died yesterday, and I’ve borrowed an official Apple Magic keyboard and tested this today. It works in BIOS and OpenCore boot loader over Bluetooth. But I do have to hit the keys 2 or 3 times first before it pairs and lets me select an option. My Bluetooth is built into the Fenvi T919. Try hitting the arrow keys a few times first.
I've got few wireless & Bluetooth keyboards & Apple Magic Mouse. But my earlier builds using wireless, hitting the necessary hotkeys to bring up BIOS & interrupts often lagged & led to unwanted boot sequence. So I used the opportunity to get a nice, colorful RGB keyboard, with mechanical clicks!
they came out many years ago, but I am not a gamer. I am late, but glad to join the party!
Especially the fact that I appreciate nice keys (like the Thinkpad's) with a nice touch.
This also helps me since I tap on keyboard to wake system up from sleep, many times a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back