Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
boogleman77, I concur with your assessment. I don't update my production systems until the .3 update of a version of OS X (macOS). However, in this case, I was testing the tonymacx86 Sierra products and procedures, and, since Sierra was benign for my applications, I went ahead and updated my build description. Nevertheless, you are correct in waiting, IMO.

Do I install the usb drive in Legacy or UEFI

Do I install the usb drive in Legacy or UEFI
Mother board type? UEFI if you just bought it. Legacy if its really old.

EDIT: Sorry saw your profile USE UEFI

I have successfully installed os x but one issue I have is whenever I try to put my computer to sleep, it immediately wakes up and gets stuck in a black screen does anyone have a fix. Only pcie item I have is my graphics card

Aloha Stork, I really like your build guide and this is definitely one of the best performing OSX builds I have ever seen. I posted a little while ago about issues with instant wake with a firewire card installed... Just wondering if you have any experience with issues like that, or advice about Clover options, etc. that I might use to work around this issue. Sleep is pretty important because where I live power is quite costly, and I like to have work sessions running for days at a time if possible.
I took a look at the DSDT for this board and it seems like this board is using ACPI 6.1, uses a lot of external references in the DSDT that are left unresolved when decompiling. I have yet to work on an ACPI 6.1 DSDT and the tools are not quite caught up with this new spec yet...
Do you (or anyone else) have any advice on where to start? Either threads on editing ACPI 6.1 DSDT, or instant wake solutions that do not involve DSDT edits? FYI; I am running 10.11.6
Again, the issue is that when I install the aforementioned (on pg 28) PCIe firewire card, the system wakes instantly after sleep with wake reason: XDCI. Without the firewire card the system sleeps fine. Thanks again for all your hard work supporting users in the forum!

@rioluland: Check to make sure wake on PCIe is disabled in your bios settings (it's in Stork's build instructions under BIOS settings, make sure you got all those entered exactly, and also that you updated your board to BIOS revision 2001)... and check your console (under applications/utilities) for "wake reason" to see why it wakes. That has helped me hunt down my instant wake issues (though I am still solving my wake issue which is related to a pcie firewire card). Post back with your "wake reason" from the console and you might get a lot more specific help...

I will keep
Use MultiBeast for Sierra
Are you using UniBeast to create the USB Installation Thumb Drive? If so, UniBeast puts all the current Ethernet drivers in it's Clover configuration.

Did you set the USB Thumb drive as your boot drive in the BIOS as per my Post #1 instructions? If so, then you will be booting from it until you change it after you finish the installation and run MultiBeast. Remember, to boot from the USB Installer Thumb Drive until the installation procedures has been completed.

Hi Stork, PetarHolland and boogieman77.

I guess all is working at my end with Sierra. I did not get to work on the sound card yet, but I actually need this computer for more scientific purposes, therefore sound is just extra for me. I will keep following this and keep you posted in the future if anything.

Cheers

I will keep

Hi Stork, PetarHolland and boogieman77.

I guess all is working at my end with Sierra. I did not get to work on the sound card yet, but I actually need this computer for more scientific purposes, therefore sound is just extra for me. I will keep following this and keep you posted in the future if anything.

Cheers

Great! Keep us informed on how it goes. Once they are up and running, expect a few hiccups along the way. Mine is very stable when running. Every so often I'll have a startup issue and a simple reboot will fix that.

@Stork did you tried directly with your nvidia card? How was your system before installing the nvidia driver?
I have a Max VIII ranger with a 6600k skylake, it's very similar to your hero, in terms of spec and features...
Installing sierra with hd530 cause a KP, and no 530 driver makes the computer super super glitchy.... Did you noticed something like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back