Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dirtydignity - thank for the info that you already on HS. Can you please provide some information and tips about the process to update?
It's my first "full version jump" on a hackintosh so I'm a complete newbie.

Do you make an inplace upgrade directly from Sierra or start with a fresh installation.
Appreciate any information to make my upgrade process easier.

thanks in advance

Hello,

I have update my BIOS to the last 3504 update and everything works fine.

I will follow @Stork 's advice to update to High Sierra ;-)

j0nz

Last edited:
I've installed Sierra as per the first post, same motherboard and CPU, only using a GTX 1080 instead.
I've got 3 screens hooked up, 2 to the 1080 and 1 to the integrated graphics - the integrated graphics isn't playing ball and is just putting all sorts of wonderful colours on the screen.

Having a look online doesn't point to much other than making sure I have the right DSDT (which I do), or setting nv_disable=1 - but that would obviously disable the GTX 1080.

Any ideas as to what to look at next?
Can't use the igpu with your gpu I don't believe.

Some Feedback.
I also updated to HS following this guide. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

Everything works fine so far.

• WLAN - ok
  • LAN - ok
  • BT - ok
  • Handover/Continuity - ok
  • Graphics - ok (need new Nvidia Driver)
  • Apple Watch 3 unlocking - ok
  • AirPlay (LCD and AVR) - ok
  • Sound via HDMI - nok - as it was before. sometimes it works, sometimes not.
  • Sound via green Output - nok - seems that it requires another patch. I'll give a feedback
  • Sound via USB - ok
  • iMessage - ok
  • Nvidia graphics glitch (wakeup after sleep) still persists :thumbdown
  • USB3.0 Front-Ports - ok, after fix (need to use this fix - thanks https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-usb-raise-port-limit-patch-for-high-sierra.226072/)
Miscellaneous
- two new volumes at CLOVER. "macOS install prebooted" and "FileFault prebooted"
------Just enter a new string "preboot" at "hide" option in the config.plist to hide them
- all apps in the auto start have disappeared
- Path Finder 7 need reinstall
- Bartender needs update to version 3

So far so good ... I'll update as soon as I have more information.

Last edited:
I'm a little disappointed that my dual 1070's cause problems for install and updates. I will have to remove one of the gpu's for each point release to update.
Looks like I'll stick with my 10.12.6 ssd for the time being.
I may build a small mini like Coffee Lake machine with dedicated Mac OS later this year or early next year. and use my current build as my miner and Windows 10 gaming machine.

INFORMATION
I updated my BIOS to 3504. Everything worked until I tried to run Parallels 12 - an error that virtualization was disabled.

Advanced/CPU Configuration/Intel Virtualization Technology - it seems to be disabled by default in 3504.
I enabled it in the BIOS and Parallels 12 runs perfectly.

If you want to upgrade to a Kaby Lake CPU. Do the following:

1. Upgrade macOS to 10.12.6.
  2. In Clover Configurator:
    • Changed the system definition to iMac18,3.
    • Leave FakeCPUID blank.
    • If you have the IGPU enabled, use ig-platform-id "0x59120003" and, in Devices section, set IntelGFX to "0x59128086"
  3. Do the physical CPU swap.
  4. Done.

The macOS native CPU power management link you posted should be applied whether you are using Skylake or Kaby Lake CPUs. It is a newer method that supercedes the older method of using an ssdt.aml generated by ssdtPRGen.sh.

I know its been a while since this was posted but I just now upgraded to Kaby Lake i7-7700K and followed your directions and everything works great. I have only one problem with LCPsensors latest version raises the CPU temperature because I have the Corsair liquid cooler pump connected to the pump connector on the board and for some reason the latest version is not compatible with LPCsensors but a few early versions back are compatible. With Kaby Lake I have to use the latest FakeSMC and sensors.

Edited:

Removed all my edits after reading your comment about Bios 3504 Keyboard and mouse simulator must be disabled which was causing High Sierra not to boot.

Last edited:
Any advantages to updating the bios to v3504?? Thanks!
Other than it's the latest with some bugs corrected. Here's what the ASUS v3504 description states:
MAXIMUS VIII HERO BIOS 3504
1.Update new CPU microcode
2.Fixed Raid Card issue.
3.Improved system stability and performance.
4.Improved VGA cards and storage device compatibility
5.Fixed KB/MS devices issues
6.Fixed Plextor device issue​
So, upgrade...but be sure to note your changes before updating. After the upgrade, be sure to Load Optimum Settings first, then update with your settings.

BTW, I've been busy....OK, lazy, and I've haven't updated the BIOS, yet. But, you've encouraged me to do so...I'll update it today.

Hi!
Opinion about gtx 980 users in FCX? Thanks.
Unfortunately, I don't use FCX. I recommend you look in the Graphics and Video forum sections.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/graphics.13/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/video.23/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back