Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork: I havent read all 70 pages, but did you save a copy of the instructions for installing El Capitan on this build before changing them to Sierra?
No, but they're essentially the same for El Capitan as Sierra. However, IMO, just use Sierra unless you have an El Capitan app that hasn't or is too costly to upgrade to Sierra.

To make the logo look correct and not stretched:
In BIOS:
Boot > Boot logo display > auto
CMS > Disabled

In Clover, under Boot section, set the resolution to your monitor resolution.

After this you can also boot into Windows and use the ASUS BIOS Flasher in the app suite they have, download the BIOS manually from the website and then go to 'my flash' (I think), select the BIOS, once it selects it there should be an icon in lower right called my logo or something like that. you can click that and pick an Apple boot logo from google images and flash it so you can have an Apple during the initial post and windows boot.

If you do this, the initial boot resolution should match your monitor resolution during initial post, in clover, and during macOS / Windows booting.
Hi AlphaFox,

it worked. But I don´t fully understand why. Before, the Boot > Boot logo display > was disabled. So I didn´t see the ROG sign.
In Storks Hero build discription, it was mentioned to be turned off. Why?
And what is the reason with the CMS? When I changed it to disabled... I got a warning sign. Makes my hands wet for a second.

Thanks again for your help.
best
Michael

To make the logo look correct and not stretched:
In BIOS:
Boot > Boot logo display > auto
CMS > Disabled

In Clover, under Boot section, set the resolution to your monitor resolution.

After this you can also boot into Windows and use the ASUS BIOS Flasher in the app suite they have, download the BIOS manually from the website and then go to 'my flash' (I think), select the BIOS, once it selects it there should be an icon in lower right called my logo or something like that. you can click that and pick an Apple boot logo from google images and flash it so you can have an Apple during the initial post and windows boot.

If you do this, the initial boot resolution should match your monitor resolution during initial post, in clover, and during macOS / Windows booting.
CSM > Disabled did it, Thanks !

jonz

And what is the reason with the CMS? When I changed it to disabled... I got a warning sign. Makes my hands wet for a second.

The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) provides support (if enabled) for OS's using legacy bios--e.g., 32 bit Windows installations on MB with only a 64 bit UEFI. It can also provide support for certain rom functions (e.g., on some MBs, emulating ps2 ports for usb mouse and keyboard so they work during boot up).

Last edited:
The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) provides support (if enabled) for OS's using legacy bios--e.g., 32 bit Windows installations on MB with only a 64 bit UEFI. It can also provide support for certain rom functions (e.g., on some MBs, emulating ps2 ports for usb mouse and keyboard so they work during boot up). I have CMS enabled (which I believe is default setting on Hero) and everything works fine--but I never had stretched or glitchy logo problem. If you turn it off and find your system frozen in the morning, you can try turning it back on--seems to have worked for me when I was having freeze spells.
Hi robaird,
Thx a lot for the explanation. Now I see much clearer. :thumbup:

Best
Michael

It just disables legacy boot modes, the warning is normal. Just say yes and proceed, never had any locking up issues.

I don't know why stork said to disable the boot logo, maybe to show the detailed processor and memory settings.

No, but they're essentially the same for El Capitan as Sierra. However, IMO, just use Sierra unless you have an El Capitan app that hasn't or is too costly to upgrade to Sierra.

Stork-
I found what I was looking for in your signature block (the El Capitan link). :)

I was just sticking with El Capitan since it seemed friendlier with the HD530 onboard graphics. I plan on getting a gtx 970 or better so maybe i'll try out Sierra.

Stork-
I found what I was looking for in your signature block (the El Capitan link). :)
LOL! I forgot I did that. Too much water over the the damn...

HD 530 has many issues, I wouldn't waste time using an old OS when you could get a 970 an then just use Sierra.

I followed the guide and installed Sierra. I can boot using the USB EFI fine but when I try to boot from the EFI on the hard drive the boot fails and restarts. Here's a picture

Attachments

• IMG_1787.JPG
    IMG_1787.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 100
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back