Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
It hovers at 15% and doesn't allow the CPU to throttle down, it wasn't like that before. It should go down after a bit but never does, goes from 10-20%

It hovers at 15% and doesn't allow the CPU to throttle down, it wasn't like that before. It should go down after a bit but never does, goes from 10-20%

That's not normal. I don't know what can cause that.

I know, only like that after this new bios. Think I want to try a clean install.
I haven't actually done a clean load since I started on el cap. Since I have my clover all set up, can I just wipe the OS partition and reload from a USB drive with 10.12.3? All the guides talk albiut a fresh load and setting up clover and patching and stuff but I don't believe I need to do that as I'm already setup.

Yeah, just make sure you have the EFI partition backed up and put it back on your clean install.

This will isolate whether your problem is with macOS or your EFI folder.

If the problem never occurred before the BIOS update, I would assume that it's related to the emuvariable64....

Maybe the variable.. I can try removing it and seeing if it fixes the issue.

I have the EFI backed up, when you say put it back what do you mean? Can I just leave it there during the reload, assuming I done wipe the EFI partition? Do I need to do something special during the reload to the EFI folder?

Yes, if you do not initialize the drive, the EFI folder should remain intact.

So leave it intact, wipe OS partition, reload. Are there any post install things I should be worried about? I don't really use any ktexts so I shouldn't need to reinstall them in the system folder, that's all I can think of.

Yes, the only other thing to worry about are the kexts in your /L/E/ or /S/L/E/.

@NamTran and @AlphaFox : Do you guys mean to be posting in the Maximus VIII HERO thread, or the GENE thread? I see from your builds that you guys have Gene builds. If that's the case you might get more specific responses in the Gene thread from users that have had similar issues as you're experiencing.

NamTran, it could also be a power supply issue. I've had that happen before when my power supply was going bad. Also, when I was building the Hero system, I was at work during a heavy rainstorm and there were power fluctuations which caused the system to shut down. However, at boot, the BIOS would report that the system shut down due to a power surge.

Stork: thank you for your detailed guide. I was able to install Elcapitan and it ran fine until today, the machine suddenly crashed whileI was watching movie via VLC and won't boot. When I turned it on, the fan and light turned on for a second then turned off. It kept doing that repeatedly. If I shut off power and wait for a few minutes, it will boot up normally but then shut down after 10min'. What would be the possible issue with that? Is there anything I can do to trouble shooting it?

My build: ASUS maximus viii gene, i7-6700k, evga 980ti sc2, crucial 32gb ddr4 2400 ram, corsair h110i gr, corsair ax860i. I am using thermaltake Core V21 as I read the size of the 980ti when instaling horizontally would cause the problem.

I installed Elcapitan on a 500gb samsung ssd and window 8.1 on a seperate 250gb ssd. Everything worked fine until today.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

@NamTran and @AlphaFox : Do you guys mean to be posting in the Maximus VIII HERO thread, or the GENE thread? I see from your builds that you guys have Gene builds. If that's the case you might get more specific responses in the Gene thread from users that have had similar issues as you're experiencing.

NamTran, it could also be a power supply issue. I've had that happen before when my power supply was going bad. Also, when I was building the Hero system, I was at work during a heavy rainstorm and there were power fluctuations which caused the system to shut down. However, at boot, the BIOS would report that the system shut down due to a power surge.

I am posting here because Stork also had the GTX 980Ti on his build, wondering if he might experience the same problem (looks like he does not). I suspected my issue was related to the EVGA GTX980 Ti. I read online and there are quite a few issue with the GTX 980Ti overheating (the GPU fan by default does not kick in until it reach 60oC). I had similar experience with my first build in which I used mobo GA Z170x UD 5TH.

Now my computer booted up normally, so it's not software issue. Earlier today when I ran Heaven Unigene, it crashed and the GPU was hot. GPU temp was about 70oC before it crashed. Just contacted EVGA for a replacement and will post back here when I have the new card.

My computer is plugged into a 1200V UPS, so power should not be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back