Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
WedgeTail, I think your choice of a GTX 1050 is a good choice. I've been using a GTX 1060 in my Gene build in anticipation of using it in another build, and it works great. However, the recently released Nvidia drivers that support the Pascal cards are still immature, but I anticipate the drivers reaching maturity over the next couple of months. I just wanted to give you a "heads-up".
Thank you, you've helped me make a good decision. I'm looking forward to starting the build. My Noctua cooler arrived today. I've settled on the remaining components and should be ready to start in a couple of months.

I have to say, after a week or so of working with this system I'm disappointed. I've done everything in this thread and so far:
  • Power isn't working properly. Last night while working on my laptop I could hear this one clicking on and off from time to time. No idea what it was up to.
  • I bought one of the Wireless / BT cards in post 1 but continuity / handoff doesn't work. A £5 BT dongle would have done just as well.
  • iMessage won't start today, but I went through the whole setup and I'm sure it did start OK before.
I'm sure there was more but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

• If you are hearing clicking, it's coming out of or going to sleep. This can be caused by Wake-on-LAN and/or PowerNap.
  • Continuity/Handoff/AirDrop all work perfectly in my Gene. I used An iDiot's Guide To iMessage | Page 34 | tonymacx86.com to get it working.
  • If Messages won't launch, there's something else wrong with your system. Remove any overclocks. Use a clean install of macOS. Test for system stability, test RAM, stress test the CPU, monitor system temperatures, check SMART status of your boot drive.

Thanks. Powernap is disabled. I'll check WOL.
[EDIT] Actually, it's probably not! I just realised there are separate settings for battery and power. That might solve that one then.
[EDIT 2] Ignore that. There is no battery section for the Gene - doh!

I followed the guide. I don't see anything specific on page 34, did you mean to link to that page specifically? I have since updated my BIOS to 2202, maybe I need to do the whole idiots guide again?

Messages will launch, it just won't log in. I've been using my system fine for heavy gaming and flight simulation for the last 18 months. I initially had some faulty memory but that was replaced which is why I ended up with 32GB. Can you explain how any of the hardware related things that you mention might prevent Messages from logging in? I don't really see the connection.

I meant to link to the first post in An Idiot's Guide To iMessage.

2202 should be a good version of BIOS. I use that myself.

The hardware issues shouldn't prevent Messages from logging in. But you said it didn't "start"... I thought you meant the app wouldn't launch.

If it's just an issue with logging in, follow the Idiot's guide again. Be sure to go through the checks as detailed in the guide. Login issues are not always a sign that something is wrong with your system, sometimes there are issues on the server side. In rare instances, some users have had to contact Apple with login issues.

Thank you - I have just been through again and the serial had changed and that had caused my account to lock!! Maybe that was a result of the BIOS updated and / or adding the wifi card? I have been through and unlocked it and iMessage is now logging in and working. Handoff / Continuity is still not but frankly, it doesn't very often work on my real Apple hardware so I'm not overly surprised. It would be very nice if it did work however.

I will have to see if there is any solution to that and also will see if I can do anything about it clicking on and off. If not I'll probably wipe it and put Linux on it. That will keep me going for what I need it for until Apple refreshes their MBPro's again later in the year as is rumoured.

I don't know what is causing your Continuity and Handoff inconsistencies... It works very well for me and I use them everyday. The only thing I can think of is to reconfirm that you have met all the requirements to have them enabled:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681

For Universal Clipboard, make sure all your devices are logged in to iCloud.

I have updated the build description (Post #1) to reflect the installation procedures changes including the new features that MultiBeast v9.1.0 has added which we use to have to do outside of MultiBeast, including:
- Adding to the initial MultiBeast run:
:ch: (Optional) Bootloaders -> Clover v2.4k r4063 UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM <--- Required if BIOS version is greater than 2202
:ch: (Optional) Customize -> Graphics Configuration -> NVIDIA Web Drivers Boot Flag <--- Required for use of Nvidia drivers​
- Removing the FakeSMCGPU.kext from /Library/Extensions/ folder
- After rebooting, running MultiBeast again to reinstall as per the Note in the MultiBeast v9.1.0 Announcement:
:ch: Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC1150
:ch: Drivers > Audio > 100/200 Series Audio​
- Other miscellaneous updates.

GENE MB 910.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back