Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leave the kexts in /L/E/ folder as MultiBeast knows best. BTW, MultiBeast puts FakeSMC kext in .../others/ folder.

It's not needed in /L/E as I can confirm it. Beside I don't use UniBeast/MultiBeast to install since its Clover, drivers and kexts are usually outdated.

Last edited:
It's not needed in /L/E as I can confirm it. Beside I don't use UniBeast/MultiBeast to install since it's Clover, drivers and kexts are usually outdated.
Yes, it's hard to keep up with the kext and drivers authors as they change their products frequently. However, the version of Clover, which UniBeast uses and MultiBeast installs, work with both Mojave and Catalina. It's r4961. I haven't found the need to be an early adapter with the r5000 series.

WRT kexts and drivers, they change so often that I recommend people check regularly to see if they've been updated. The tonymacx86 Download/Kexts and Download/Community Software are updated when kexts and drivers change.

As for /L/E/ vs. .../other/ folders, it's kinda mute discussion as both philosophies work for Mojave and earlier macOS's. Catalina presents new problems. So, we'll wait and see how Catalina uses the third party kexts in /L/E/ folder.

This is simplest way to install Catalina manually since UniBeast/MutliBeast Catalina isn't out.

1) Format USB Stick using Disk Utility or commandline.

You will need bootable USB Stick to install and boot Catalina just in case if your EFI partition on hard disk is corrupted.

2) Install Clover to USB Stick using Customize
All the following items should be checked
- Clover for UEFI booting only
- Install Clover in the ESP
UEFI Drivers (Select only 5 drivers)
- FSInject
- SMCHelper
- ApfsDriverLoader
- VBoxHfs
- OsxAptioFix3Drv

3) Open EFI folder and copy kexts to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
AppleALC.kext
FakeSMC.kext
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
WhateverGreen

4) Copy your customized config.plist to /EFI/Clover

Now you will use the installer inside Catalina downloaded from App store in your /Application folder.

5) Use terminal and type this:
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/[USB Stick]

6) Reboot and select USB Stick as bootable device.

7) Install Catalina to hard disk and it will reboot 3 times.

8) Once installation is done and you're in Catalina. You will need to do the Clover process again including drivers, kexts and config.plist for the hard disk so you can boot without using the USB Stick.

There is no need to install kexts in /L/E folder.

ok. Thanks. In progress...

ok. what I do wrong?! :(

failed_install.jpg

So my steps are:

1) Format USB Stick using Disk Utility or commandline.

You will need bootable USB Stick to install and boot Catalina just in case if your EFI partition on hard disk is corrupted.

DONE!

2) Install Clover to USB Stick using Customize
All the following items should be checked
- Clover for UEFI booting only
- Install Clover in the ESP
UEFI Drivers (Select only 5 drivers)
- FSInject
- SMCHelper
- ApfsDriverLoader
- VBoxHfs
- OsxAptioFix3Drv

DONE

3) Open EFI folder and copy kexts to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
AppleALC.kext
FakeSMC.kext
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
WhateverGreen

DONE. Took the latest versions. Is it ok?

4) Copy your customized config.plist to /EFI/Clover

DONE. Used original config.plist created by Clover and your config.plist

5) Use terminal and type this
DONE. FYI: this step overwrites what was created by Clover on Install partition in step 1. ESD partition is ok

Last edited:
ok. In progress... will post update in this post

@P1LGRIM no. still the issue

@remington can you check my steps, plz. I'm stuck on Installer run

Did you use the config.plist I attached or you customized your config.plist?

@remington can you share your EFI folder, plz - and I think the better option is the folder of installation USB(if you have it of course)

Did you use the config.plist I attached or you customized your config.plist?

Yes. I've both - first of all that file that you provided and then default(made by Clover)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back