Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you using USB 2.0 stick? USB 3.0 sticks can be quirky sometimes during installation.

Ok. Sorry. As always when you are noob (I meant myself) - you just doing a lot of mistakes.

I'm finally in Installer. Installing system right now...

BUT! For future generations:
Before run any installer with new Clover on it - please make sure you don't run it from the old Clover (which boots from some drive).

Ok. So finally I got Catalina installed. Everything is ok

But! No progress with sleep. What I have tested:
  • ejected ALL USB devices/hubs except Apple Keyboard and mouse
  • tested with HDMI monitor
  • tested with DP monitor
So PC goes to sleep. But after awake - all fans are spinning, all disks are on, all lights are on, but monitor can't awake and it's led just blinking like in sleep mode

@remington can you clarify, plz. do you use Radeon RX 580?
And you plist is patched for such case? I mean you have all those patches enabled
1571157535131.png

I think that it's possible issue with iGPU - maybe some patching needed. Need to do some research and googling

I asked before and lost the info... Can someone post a few GPU's (don't need high end) to buy for this build so I can install past 10.13 (I'm currently using a nVidia card with no driver support past 10.13). Thanks.

Ok. So finally I got Catalina installed. Everything is ok

But! No progress with sleep. What I have tested:
  • ejected ALL USB devices/hubs except Apple Keyboard and mouse
  • tested with HDMI monitor
  • tested with DP monitor
So PC goes to sleep. But after awake - all fans are spinning, all disks are on, all lights are on, but monitor can't awake and it's led just blinking like in sleep mode

It could be one of those things... monitor, video cable or integrated graphics. Since you tried everything and the latter could be the culprit.

can you clarify, plz. do you use Radeon RX 580?

I have Gigabyte RX 570 and Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+. Both works with deep sleep. I've seen more people use Sapphire Pulse/Nitro on this forum. Just be aware that Sapphire video card is bigger than normal RX cards so be sure your case can handle it.

And you plist is patched for such case? I mean you have all those patches enabled
View attachment 430757

Those patches are to fix video acceleration issues when using RX video cards. It's not needed if you're only using integrated graphics.

I think that it's possible issue with iGPU - maybe some patching needed. Need to do some research and googling

It's very likely. I never tested with my iGPU so I can't comment. Apple spent more time developing driver for RX video cards and much less for integrated HD graphics. You can buy used RX video card from ebay for less but do stay away from XFX brands. XFX have history with incompatible BIOS for macOS (it's fixed now) but I don't trust them.

Last edited:
I asked before and lost the info... Can someone post a few GPU's (don't need high end) to buy for this build so I can install past 10.13 (I'm currently using a nVidia card with no driver support past 10.13). Thanks.

Gigabyte, MSI or ASUS RX 570 will be good enough to start with.

Is there anything around $100? I just need it for office work and to drive 2 monitors... That's all.

Is there anything around $100? I just need it for office work and to drive 2 monitors... That's all.

Only thing I can think cheapest is Nvidia GT 710 and it's natively supported. No web driver needed.

I have two Nvidia 760 GTX cards in two different machines that are working out of the box. They are cheap on ebay, well under 100 bucks.

They do take two 6pin power connectors.

Pretty sure any 7 series card will work, EXCEPT the excellent 750/ti cards. Those cards are newer technology that never came in a Mac and so will never work.

The 7 series was just warmed over 6 series, and 6 series came in real Macs so they are supported, even the 650.

How does the Nvidia 760 GTX compare to the Nvidia Geforce GTX 950 that's currently in my system? Also, does the motherboard (or the 760 GPU) have the 2 6-pin power connectors needed? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back