Contribute
Register

Stork's Entry Level Hector Build: GA-H97N-WIFI - i5-4690 - HD4600 & GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I found this item: http://www.osxwifi.com/adapters/app...ackintosh-laptop-with-full-size-minipcie-card which seems to be exactly what you bought (separately): broadcom chip + adapter. Only it comes pre-packaged and I can avoid ordering and waiting for ages to ship from China. Could you have a quick look and confirm it's the right one and it will fit in a Bitfenix Phenom? :mrgreen:
Looks like it will do the job...abet, costing $28 more than my Amazon version.

I didn't wait "ages" for my two components because I ordered through Amazon. I think it was only a week. (I can't remember exactly, but it wasn't hateful.) However, those guys at OSXwifi.com check out their components before they send them to you, IIRC. They also have a good representation with the Mac community. So, it's your choice.

I used a BT USB dongle after removing the combo WiFi/BT card while awaiting the iMac WiFi/BT combo card and adapter.
Hey Stork, I've managed to get my build working in El Capitan (same mobo, i3-4170/HD400 - fully works with FakePCIID patches) but my bluetooth never shows up. I'm not going to buy a new adapter as I only need the bluetooth, and it was working previously in Yosemite. Unfortunately I have no idea why it worked originally but now doesn't show up at all. Any ideas?

I've gone through and done the 30 port USB fix thing, still no luck.

EDIT: Restarted a few times, it randomly started working..? I have no idea why but whatever seems to be the way of the hackintosh ahah

What is the make & model # of your Bluetooth USB dongle?

Hey Stork I just re-installed following your guide, this time without GT 740 but only with onboard HD4600.

I have no issues except with my 2560x1440 DELL u2515h monitor the maximum resolution I can choose is 2048x1152, connected via HDMI to HDMI cable. I tried also with HDMI to DVI, still no luck.
Any suggestions?

Hey Stork I just re-installed following your guide, this time without GT 740 but only with onboard HD4600.

I have no issues except with my 2560x1440 DELL u2515h monitor the maximum resolution I can choose is 2048x1152, connected via HDMI to HDMI cable. I tried also with HDMI to DVI, still no luck.
Any suggestions?
I think it's your HDMI-HDMI cable. Were you using this cable to get that resolution before with another system?

On page ix of the GENE User's Manual, the HDMI port will support a resolution of 4096 x 2160 with an HDMI cable that supports HDMI 1.4b. So, you might need to upgrade your cable.

I think it's your HDMI-HDMI cable. Were you using this cable to get that resolution before with another system?

On page ix of the GENE User's Manual, the HDMI port will support a resolution of 4096 x 2160 with an HDMI cable that supports HDMI 1.4b. So, you might need to upgrade your cable.
With the same cable on Windows I'm able to get 2560x1440.
Could it be only OSX that supports that resolution only with DP or HDMI 1.4b? By the way I'm not sure wether this cable is 1.4b but on Windows I get full resolution so I think it might.

With the same cable on Windows I'm able to get 2560x1440.
Could it be only OSX that supports that resolution only with DP or HDMI 1.4b? By the way I'm not sure wether this cable is 1.4b but on Windows I get full resolution so I think it might.
OK. I'm outta possible solutions. I see that you have opened a thread in the Graphics forum section where you'll probably get the answer to your problem. (http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...w-webdrivers-glitches-no-full-resolution.html).

Hey stork, I'm looking to do my first build and have been eyeing this thread off and on for months and have narrowed down to the mini itx build. My question is, is there another wifi adapter that can be used? I don't care much for handoff or continuity at all as I don't use it on my MacBook that is currently in use. I use a k750 also and an mx anywhere 2 mouse thru the provided dongle and also have a pair of beats studio wireless headphones id like to use also. The mobo I just ordered is the same one you used. Can I just use the Bluetooth dongle that you did for headphones and then find another dongle to get wifi working?

thanks for the help!

Gotcha188,

I used the Edimax USB 3 wireless dongle (see OP and below) until I got the iMac WiFi/BT4 card and adapter card. You'll need the latest driver for the OS X version you have installed. (I know, another driver dependent up on the version of OS X.)

Edimax Wireless AC1200 Dual Band USB 3.0 Adapter (EW-7822UAC) - Amazon || Newegg

Whatever wireless dongle you decide to use, get a USB 3 dongle. The USB 2 wireless dongles don't get the speeds that the USB 3 dongles. The Edimax is only $30 USD which is very affordable. :thumbup:

As for a good BT4 USB dongle, I recommend the GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 USB Dongle which is listed in the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide. I use it now as my BT dongle of choice for my other systems .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back