Contribute
Register

Stork's Entry Level Hector Build: GA-H97N-WIFI - i5-4690 - HD4600 & GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork's Entry Level Hector Build: GA-H97N-WIFI - i5-4690 - HD4600 Two Monitors

Hi Stork,
Thanks for putting this guide together, this is almost exactly what I ended up with with the exception that I used the i3-4370 and the 750ti. I've been using my hack for a few months and got an IOGear USB dongle for the bluetooth(I don't use WIFI) but it'll have good days and bad days where sometimes the tracking on the magic trackpad will be super slow and the keyboard is intermittent. From reading on this forum it sounds like it could be related to having the bluetooth on the motherboard and the dongle? I was going to try removing the card from the motherboard and only using the dongle and see if that helped fix the issue. Before I do that, I was hoping to see if that threw any huge red flags to you? I'm hoping that after I do that I'll be able to use the continuity activation program to use continuity with my dongle as it seems that the dongle MAY be supported now.

Anyway, any thoughts you have would be appreciated.
Thanks,
David

system - ga-h97n-wifi
CPU - i3-4370
graphics - 750ti
The two BT TX/RXs are probably fighting each other. Since you don't use the WiFi, remove the card and re setup the BT devices. I used a BT USB dongle after removing the combo WiFi/BT card while awaiting the iMac WiFi/BT combo card and adapter.

I'm having the most frustrating problem here...

I had everything working on this board (audio/ethernet, etc) and in the process of tinkering around trying to get iMessage to work I fired up multibeast and tried a few different system definitions.

Since I did that, I've lost both audio/networking and reinstalling them doesn't help, nor does changing back to iMac 14,2 (which is what i had everything working on).

It's acting like now my ethernet/audio KEXTs aren't loading as those aren't working and are the only things I need KEXTs for.

Can someone help me figure out how to troubleshoot this? No idea what to do here..

Something with Kernel Cache? or config.plist? Or other?
I'm lost... really really don't want to reinstall from scratch for a 3rd time.. :(

Thanks

The WiFi/BT 4LE card is an Apple iMac card and the miniPCIe adapter interfaces correctly with the Gigabyte H97N's motherboard WiFi/BT card slot.

Broadcom BCM94360CD BCM4360CD 802.11ac mini PCI-E WiFi WLAN Bluetooth 4.0 Card for Apple
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L35XSMS/

Generic Mini Pci-e Adapter for Bcm94360cd Bcm94331cd
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQAXDW8/

Hi Stork,

Awesome build! Great work on everything and of course thank you in advance for any help that you have time for!

I just got the Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIF Mini ITX mobo (a few weeks ago) and ordered the Broadcom BCM94360CD BCM4360CD 802.11ac mini PCI-E WiFI/BT card. I was wondering why there would be a need for a Mini PCI-E Adaptor since the card is already a mini PCI-E card and the slot is a mini PCI-E one as well...

Sorry if this is a dumb question! Thanks again for your help! If anyone else also could explain it to me too, that would be great too!

-rafamundez

PS. Not sure if this question was already answered before so I apologize in advance if it was, I will continue to comb through tonymac to see if this question was asked already

Good question! The answer is Apple took the miniPCIe format and changed it for its own hardware design. Thus, you need the adapter. See my reference link for more information. :thumbup:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/1...apple-mini-cards-pcie-mini-pcie-adapters.html

Thanks for your quick response Stork! Ahhh ok, I understand now. The Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD BCM4360CD 802.11ac mini PCI-E WiFI/BT card isn't actually a mini PCI-E card, it's a modified Apple version of a mini PCI-E card hence the adaptor.

What do you think of this adaptor: Mini PCI-E to BCM94360CD BCM94331CD Flexible Adapter with Wireless Antenna

Amazon ($29.89)
http://www.amazon.com/BCM94360CD-BCM94331CD-Flexible-Adapter-Wireless/dp/B00RR9XGDA/
ebay ($26.98)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PCI-E-...e-Adapter-with-Wireless-Antenna-/331438527592
Newegg ($26.98)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5552ET2901

It is a flexible adaptor with built in/wireless wifi/BT antennas so you don't have to deal with getting or positioning any antenna leads. The only thing that worries me is that there aren't any reviews on either Amazon, ebay, or Newegg for it...:roll2:

On the other hand these are 3 reputable sites to purchase from.

Thoughts?

-rafamundez

I have no experience with these adapters. However, since it's a flexible extension/adapter, how are you going to "attach" it in the case. Remember, you have attach 4 antenna leads to the card. If you use my approach with a ridged card adapter, it uses the motherboard's bracket for stability. Food for thought.

Hello Stork,
Installed Yosemite using Multibeast on a GA-H97N-wifi motherboard (I3, LGA1150 Dual core) without dicrete graphics card following your directions. Nearly everything went smoothly, only the system definition and graphics gave some slight problems (solution: load adapted kext for HDA4600). I did not use the wifi, and after changing for Trust Bluetoote dongle use Windows designer mouse and legacy bluetooth keyboard without problems, even at boot.

Now working at it in a regular way. I like it.

GijsH

Why choose an i5 over an E3 considering you aren't/can't overclock AND you're using a GTX 750 TI.

for nearly the same price you would get Hyperthreading, pretty much giving you i7 like performance for i5 pricing.

Curious is all

I started out using just the HD4600 and added the GTX 750 Ti later. Had I had the GTX 750 Ti at the outset of the build, I probably would have chosen the same (i5) processor since I didn't know about the Xenon E3 processors working with this motherboard. As I said in the original post, this was an easy hackintosh for general purpose computing, my Garageband recordings and a entry level gamer. Thus, my system component choices.

Update: I looked at the Haswell Refreshed Xenon E3 processors on the Gigabyte H97N's CPU list, and I found quite a few E3's that are compatible. But, they're more expensive than the equivalent i5's. So, since Apple uses the i5's in its iMacs, the i5 is a natural, low risk processor to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back