Contribute
Register

Stork's Entry Level Hector Build: GA-H97N-WIFI - i5-4690 - HD4600 & GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool cool. I thought there may have been technical reasons why. Thanks

Edit :
The 1231v3 is slightly more than the 4690 (currently 25) and it is 3.4 GHz vs 3.5 for the 4690 but you do get hyperthreading
My reading comprehension was bad so I was confused you didn't spend slightly more for much more performance. Unless of course there were technical details, which there were, that would prevent doing so.

Hi Stork,
First of all, thank you for your hector build share and I have followed your guide to install El Capitan successfully on my computer. Everything seems to work fine in mac os including the Wifi/BT by using BCM94360CD with the adapter same as your build.

But I have the problem of using the apple wireless keyboard (3rd gen). It can use in the clover bootloader screen which I can choose what to boot (windows / mac). But I cannot use the keyboard to enter bios. During the Bios startup, I tried holding the delete key or fn + delete. No luck. But in your post, you mention you can use it to enter bios. So how do you do it. Or is there something I missing or need to do.

Thanks.

OK. About the keyboard problem, I figured it out. Use the fn + eject key at the bios.
Thanks.

Hi Stork,
First of all, thank you for your hector build share and I have followed your guide to install El Capitan successfully on my computer. Everything seems to work fine in mac os including the Wifi/BT by using BCM94360CD with the adapter same as your build...
:clap:

But I have the problem of using the apple wireless keyboard (3rd gen). It can use in the clover bootloader screen which I can choose what to boot (windows / mac). But I cannot use the keyboard to enter bios. During the Bios startup, I tried holding the delete key or fn + delete. No luck. But in your post, you mention you can use it to enter bios. So how do you do it. Or is there something I missing or need to do.

Thanks.
Oops! When I said, "...boot into the BIOS by holding down the DELETE key on your keyboard's numeric keypad..." I was using my Logitech K550 Mac wireless keyboard when I said to use the DELETE key on the numeric keyboard. (It uses the Logitech Unifying USB wireless dongle that comes with the keyboard, not Bluetooth.) I used the Logitech K750 full size keyboard because I didn't know how to get into the BIOS using the Apple wireless keyboard.

OK. About the keyboard problem, I figured it out. Use the fn + eject key at the bios.
Thanks.
Thank you. I'll update the build description with your discovery. Thanks for teaching this olde dog a new trick. :thumbup:

BTW, did you discover this keyboard sequence on your own or did you find the definition Fn+Eject key somewhere?

About the keyboard, I did it by accident as the eject key is right above the delete key. I press it accidentally when I smash the delete key. Cheers. Again,
Thanks.

About the keyboard, I did it by accident as the eject key is right above the delete key. I press it accidentally when I smash the delete key. Cheers. Again,
Thanks.
LOL! I love it. :thumbup: Well, I'm glad you discovered the combination. I went looking at all my bookmarks for Apple keyboard combinations and their results, and I couldn't find a listing for Fn-Eject. So, congratulations on your find.

Hello Stork,

best guide out there, period.
A question: since I live in Italy and ordering the broadcom wifi+bt module, adapter and whatnot from China is a bit complicated for me, I was thinking about ordering the pre-packaged module + adapter from osxwifi.com.

Now, I'm ordering parts for a build with GA-H97N-WIFI (of course) and Bitfenix Phenom and I'm confused on which is the right product to order from osxwifi.com that will play nicely along the other parts of my build - could you point me to the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

The OSXWIFI.com's adapter for the iMac WiFi/BT won't work in non Mac Pro motherboards. Apple used a modified miniPCIe interface, so you'll need a true miniPCIe adapter. OSXWIFI.com does not state that the adapter card works in a PC motherboard on the product page, and OSXWIFI.com does sell PCI units for Hackintoshes. Given that, you might want to ask them about it working in a PC motherboard ([email protected]).

Does Italy's Amazon branch (amazon.it) have compatible adapter like I listed in the components list in the build description?

Good Luck with your efforts to build a hackintosh.

The OSXWIFI.com's adapter for the iMac WiFi/BT won't work in non Mac Pro motherboards. Apple used a modified miniPCIe interface, so you'll need a true miniPCIe adapter. OSXWIFI.com does not state that the adapter card works in a PC motherboard on the product page, and OSXWIFI.com does sell PCI units for Hackintoshes. Given that, you might want to ask them about it working in a PC motherboard ([email protected]).

Does Italy's Amazon branch (amazon.it) have compatible adapter like I listed in the components list in the build description?

Good Luck with your efforts to build a hackintosh.

Actually I found this item: http://www.osxwifi.com/adapters/app...ackintosh-laptop-with-full-size-minipcie-card which seems to be exactly what you bought (separately): broadcom chip + adapter. Only it comes pre-packaged and I can avoid ordering and waiting for ages to ship from China. Could you have a quick look and confirm it's the right one and it will fit in a Bitfenix Phenom? :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back