Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Hey guys! I just built my first hackintosh earlier this fall (parts on my profile). This whole process has been awesome, and this is the first time I've had a question that wasn't addressed in this EXTREMELY helpful forum. I built this to be an audio production workhorse that I could eventually expand into a video editor. I am currently a music production student in college.

I am currently running my entire system off of one 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD. I love the thing, but since this computer is now my command center, I want to expand storage and possibly increase speed. My plan is as follows:

Boot Drive: RAID 0 array with another 250gb Evo that has a bootable clone (probs a HDD for cost)
Storage: Cheaper HDDs in Raid 1 for all of my movies, music, and other files.

At this stage in the game, I just wanted to know if this plan seems worthwhile. I have about 60gb of music and hundreds in movies, not to mention project files and other things like that. Any help would be fantastic! Many thanks to this great community.

I wouldn't do a RAID 0 on SSDs, I recently did the same thing and experienced a total loss of the drive 3 times, once on Z87 and twice on Z97. The only way to recover was destroying the matrix and recreating it from zero and full reinstall. I would keep a single SSD as primary boot drive and for files safekeeping I would go with 2 NAS drives (or WD Black) in RAID 1. External drive is an idea too.

if you want speed go with m.2,, raid 0 is not reliable, and ssd's at raid 0 will make corruption even faster, why do you even need a raid 0 for your boot drive,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back