Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys so I have been stalking these forums for a while now and I finally decided to create an account and ask for some help, so I have this HP Pavilion a6142n PC that I would like to Hackintosh. I have upgraded the hard drive to a (1TB SATA 3.5" 6.4GB) and I the RAM sticks (2x4GB DDR2 800MHz)
I would like to use as much of the stock parts as I possibly can but I think I am gonna need to upgrade the AMD 64x2 Dual Core 4400+ to a budget Intel like the Core 2 Duo E6550 which would mean getting a graphics card like GeForce 8500GT and then upgrading the ECS mCP61PM-HM to somthing like a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L. I plan on reusing the Pavilion's 250W PSU, and if I can Id like to use the SATA LightScribe DVD+-RW Optical slot but that's not necessary. I also probably will need a new case too if the new MoBo is not exactly 9.6" square like the old one...

So the question for you is Will this setup work?

Hard Drive: 1TB SATA 3.5" 6.4GB/s 7200rpm
RAM: 2x4GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz
PSU: 250W HIPRO "D2537F3R"
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E655
GPU: GeForce 8500GT
Case: ???

Thanks a ton to anyone who can help, sorry I am very new to this and wasn't sure if that was enough information...

So will that setup work? I am can only spend about $100-150 on the hardware, but if you have a cheaper piece that could work with what I've got, please let me know

I am gonna subscribe to this thread because I am NOOB so I will know INSTANTLY if you can help me, if not I hope I can help others who stumble across this forum post as I have fell head-first into so many other forums.

Thanks a TON!

Nerdzilla :)

Your existing AMD CPU will not work at all - you are correct you would need to upgrade. The EP31 motherboard might work, might not. An EP41 would be more likely to be successful. Either way, you would need new DDR3 RAM for the EP31 or the EP41 mainboard. If you can find one, an EP45-UD3 board works well - could be with an R or a P on the end of the model number also.
With a 9"x9" board - this is ITX size. Any EP31/41/45 board will be ATX and will not fit in your case.

Suggest you read thru http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/118150-building-budget-haswell-build-how-low-can-you-go.html for ideas.

This is fantastic thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back