Contribute
Register

Still no 60hz@4K with 10.10.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Provided fix only works for HDMI2.0 capable TVs (on Maxwells) by removing HDMI low bandwidth restriction in OSX.
It looks like it doesn't do anything with DP connections.
Stay on 10.10.1

No joy with 10.10.4 update and latest 346.01.03f01 driver, absolutely same symptoms

After installing the pixelclock patch and SwitchresX to a new user account on my hackintosh
I managed to get 4K@50Hz with a weird twist to it.

The image is perfectly separated at the top, so I have aprox. two 1080p screens side by side,
with a weird flashing full-res half-sized picture at the bottom.

I have tried different refresh rates ranging from 48Hz to 59Hz and they all seem to give me the same result.

When checking the input signal info on my TV (which is an LG 49UB820V) the info tells me that it is indeed
receiving the correct signal.

At one point when experimenting, I got a black screen with the TV-message saying "wrong format" rather than "no input signal".

I tried to create custom resolutions with different settings but no luck..

The board of my TV is apparently "GSM - 1E6D" and I tried to find info in a Service Manual about my specific TV model to figure out which settings (back porch, front porch, etc...) should be optimal for my TV,
but a service manual for my TV isn't present at the moment.

The video below will demonstrate what happened to my TV.

[video=youtube;nmSAreUnkYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmSAreUnkYo[/video]

Wow that's pretty weird stuff man!

Just bought myself an LG 55UB820v. So, same series but slightly bigger. What a coincidence! Will do some tests, but I need an hdmi 2.0 cable first :)

I'm hoping to solve this dayumn 4k issue so bad..

Good morning! Long time lurker, noob poster -

I know this is a Hackintosh forum, but since you asked about users with "real Macs", I'm hoping my experience will be useful to everyone.

Here's the short answer: I purchased a Dell 24 Ultra HD 4K Monitor – P2415Q to use with my refurbished Late 2013 Core i7 iMac 27" (3.5GHz Core i7, 32GB RAM, 3TB Fusion, 4GB NVIDIA GTX 780M) as a secondary monitor in Retina (@2x) display mode. I am currently running OS X Yosemite (10.10.4).

Using the Dell supplied mDP to DP cable, the monitor will run at a resolution of 3840x2160@30Hz with MST 2 set to ON. The display is recognized by OS X in the Displays System Preferences as a Retina capable display, and defaults to a HiDPI setting or 1920x1080@2x (Default for display), and I'm able to choose several scaled resolutions as you normally would see if you were using a rMBP or r5K iMac. If I turn MST to off on the Dell monitor, it maxs out at 2560x1440@60Hz (sorry, no time to take screenshots this morning).

I have ordered an Accell B143B-007J UltraAV Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 cable to see if this makes any difference at all. My only other option, if the cable doesn't work and Dell's troubleshooting tips don't help, is to update to El Capitan and see if there's a difference. I'll post the results tomorrow.

PS - I'm posting my Long Answer in a second post.

ZDigital2015

How can I confirm that I have 4K at 60hz? It says 3840x2160, 60hz on my monitor input and I have the 'scaled' option in System Preferences that offers the option of 3840x2160, and if i put it on this setting and reboot, the System Report also states 3840x2160, 60hz. Does this mean I can now relax?

I have a Dell P2715Q and a PNY GTX 960 running off a z97x-ud7 TH and 4790k cpu. and a Clover install on a new 10.10.3

hey Grambo : i have a GTX960 and a Dell P2715Q 27 as well !

still i am stuck at 3o hz with no scaling option : how did you get this to work ?

i'm on 10.10.3

First of all P2415Q is newer SST monitor, unlike UP2414Q which is MST only.
Using P2415Q (or bigger) monitors in DP1.2 mode (as well as any other SST monitor) will provide you with proper 4K@60Hz (with supported video card) on any hack and almost any newer build or upcoming OSX.
UP2414Q (UP3214Q) can't go 60Hz past 10.10.1
No solution exist PERIOD

Apple & nVidia also does not support hacks - no way to report the issue exist. There is no or very little hope that things will get changed with El Cap.

Regarding running 4K on their own babies - there is official Apple note about supported hardware (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856)

ccip,

Unfortunately, even though Apple own Tech Note (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856) states that most SST 4K (3840x2160) displays are supported at 60hz, I haven't been able to get the monitor to work in SST mode at that resolution (2560x1440@60hz MAX), with my Late 2013 27" iMac(10.10.4), which Apple explicitly states should work. All in all, it's frustrating when Apple's own hardware won't work, much less trying to get it working with a Hackintosh, no matter how well spec'd it is.

I knew I was early to the 4K party, but I didn't think I was THAT early!

Dunno whom to praise, perhaps nVidia.... our stocks rising, folks.
But latest nVidia 346.02.02f02 driver just works with 10.10.4 providing full MST support (4K@60Hz) the way 10.10.1 used to work.
Have done the testing on the cloned portable USB drive and it is reporting success.
Most likely will be upgrading main rig to 10.10.4 tonight.

MacMini6,2
Clover 3215
Gigabyte GTX980 (reference board)
Dell UP2414Q
Stock DP-mDP cable

Attachments

• IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 215
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back