Graphics
nVidia GTX 770 Reference
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After a few days of fighting with my upgrade to Yosemite, I finally switched to Clover and got everything upgraded and stable on Yosemite.

Background: GA-Z87N-Wifi with separate SSD, one for Win7 and one for OS X. Previously I had a chimera/chameleon bootloader for a stable Maverick/Win7 setup where I simply selected which OS I wanted to boot. I just upgraded to Yosemite and used Clover to get me there.

Now everything seems stable, except I couldn't boot into Windows from the clover bootloader (it would just go to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left). I played around a bit and found I could still get into Win7 if I used my BIOS boot menu to force it to boot. I played some more and changed a setting in Clover Configurator under "Boot" to be "LegacyBiosDefault" - This sort of fixed my problem...

Where I now stand is upon boot it loads clover and I can load into Yosemite without problem. If I select 'Windows Legacy 1 (or 2)' it then loads my old Chimera/Chameleon loader where I can then boot into Windows like I did before I upgraded to Clover. While everything appears stable this way, I don't like it and there must be a proper fix?

I'll leave it this way for now, but really don't like what is going on. Any tips for fixing this so that when i select 'Windows Legacy 1 from clover it will boot straight into Windows instead of loading chimera? This is gonna bug me until I find a proper fix!! :banghead::banghead:

After a few days of fighting with my upgrade to Yosemite, I finally switched to Clover and got everything upgraded and stable on Yosemite.

Background: GA-Z87N-Wifi with separate SSD, one for Win7 and one for OS X. Previously I had a chimera/chameleon bootloader for a stable Maverick/Win7 setup where I simply selected which OS I wanted to boot. I just upgraded to Yosemite and used Clover to get me there.

Now everything seems stable, except I couldn't boot into Windows from the clover bootloader (it would just go to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left). I played around a bit and found I could still get into Win7 if I used my BIOS boot menu to force it to boot. I played some more and changed a setting in Clover Configurator under "Boot" to be "LegacyBiosDefault" - This sort of fixed my problem...

Where I now stand is upon boot it loads clover and I can load into Yosemite without problem. If I select 'Windows Legacy 1 (or 2)' it then loads my old Chimera/Chameleon loader where I can then boot into Windows like I did before I upgraded to Clover. While everything appears stable this way, I don't like it and there must be a proper fix?

I'll leave it this way for now, but really don't like what is going on. Any tips for fixing this so that when i select 'Windows Legacy 1 from clover it will boot straight into Windows instead of loading chimera? This is gonna bug me until I find a proper fix!! :banghead::banghead:

Reinstate the original Windows MBR bootloader. You can use BOOTREC.EXE (google for instructions) to restore it.

Ok so by fixing the Windows MBR with BOOTREC.exe do I risk messing up anything in my clover / OS X setup? Meaning boot priorities mainly?

Should I unplug my OS X SSD or anything like that?

I've gotta figure out how to get my windows recovery started, I took out my DVD drive and never got around to making a USB installer for Windows :banghead:

Thanks for the help though, I'll post back with results.. but may wait a day or two to try this.

Ok so by fixing the Windows MBR with BOOTREC.exe do I risk messing up anything in my clover / OS X setup? Meaning boot priorities mainly?

It shouldn't. BOOTREC.EXE deals with legacy stuff. You're booting UEFI.

Should I unplug my OS X SSD or anything like that?

Probably not needed, but can't hurt.

--

Note that it is a bit more involved, but you could also transition your Windows install to UEFI. Use google to find instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back