Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630, 4K
I have two Sony S Series laptops, one is VPCSC and another VPCSE. Both are 2012 models with Sandy Bridge processors and Insyde H20 BIOS R2087H4 (see instructions on http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...ide-update-sony-s-series-clover-yosemite.html to update the BIOS to this version). They have been running Yosemite and have both been recently updated to El Capitan 10.111.2. Here are some experiences I had of making them updated to El Capitan

First Approach: Direct Upgrade

For those running on Yosemite with Clover boot loader, follow the instructions in http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...rect-update-os-x-el-capitan-using-clover.html except I uninstalled all third party kexts and put FakeSMC (without plug-ins) and VoodooPS2Controller into both 10.10 and 10.11 kext folders of EFI partition before running the upgrade.

Second Approach: Fresh Install

When running on Yosemite both laptops have the what I referred as “ghost mouse” problem — mouse cannot be clicked but can move with selection mode on. The problem still remains after upgrade to El Capitan. So I attempted to have a fresh install with USB installer. Happily the problem goes away.

The problem of creating a El Capitan USB installer is that these laptops have a strange BIOS which makes the USB installer made from standard procedure always missing boot device. Following Rehanman’s advices I have to put into the USB installer DSDT.aml with the patch to replace EHCx to EH0x which resolved the problem.

In my case I applied the following patch to the DSDT running on Yosemite: (there are several compiler errors after applying the patch in my case which have easy fixes of change “EH0x." to “EH0x,”)

Code:
# rename EHC1 to EH01
into device label EHC1 set_label begin EH01 end;
into_all all code_regex EHC1. replaceall_matched begin EH01. end;
into_all all code_regex .EHC1, replaceall_matched begin .EH01, end;

# rename EHC2 to EH02
into device label EHC2 set_label begin EH02 end;
into_all all code_regex EHC2. replaceall_matched begin EH02. end;
into_all all code_regex .EHC2, replaceall_matched begin .EH02, end;

To make the USB installer, follow Rehabman’s guide at http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html. Sony S Series are strange in that it works with GUID and MBR partitioned USB installer with the BIOS option of having both USB Legacy and UEFI Boot options enabled with the caveat of having to patch USB port names.

For the sake of convenience, here are the commands I run (assuming using GUID partition with USB on /dev/disk1):
Code:
$ diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk1 1 GPT HFS+J "install_osx" R
$ sudo "/Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume  /Volumes/install_osx --applicationpath "/Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app" --nointeraction
$ sudo diskutil rename "Install OS X El Capitan" install_ox

Then install Clover (Rehabman’s guide has it before running the createinstallmedia command, the outcome should be the same) with the default options (see pic in attachment) After install the Clover, copy the running config.plist (make sure it has the changes for SIP for those used on Yosemite) into /EFI/CLOVER, DSDT.aml into /EFI/COVER/ACPI/patched, delete all folders under /EFI/CLOVER/kexts except Other and copy FakeSMC.kext, RealtekRTL8111.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext files into the Other folder. ( my files for both VPCSC and VPCSE are in the attachment).

After these steps, the USB installer should be able to boot and install. After installation finishes and the system reboot with the USB installer, chose to boot from the HDD partition and proceed to the setup process. After login into El Capitan, do the following:
  • install Clover onto the HDD with the same options as installing on USB (in my case I added the "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi” option under Drivers64UEFI with the Clover installer).
  • Also copy config.plist into /EFI/CLOVER, DSDT.aml into /EFI/COVER/ACPI/patched, delete all folders under /EFI/CLOVER/kexts except Other and copy FakeSMC.kext, RealtekRTL8111.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext files into the Other folder.
  • Using KextUtility.app to install the following kexts: ACPIBatteryManager, IntelBacklight, FakePCIID and FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi. If you have a BCM4352 card also install BrcmPatchRAM2 kext (I have to install the 2015-0913 version, ran into problems like mouse connected but cannot use, Bose Soundlink Mini kept disconnecting with the 2015-1101 version).
  • Download and install the VoodooHDA-2.8.8 package for sound.

Another way to make the USB installer is to use the package from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/, which install both Clover and El Captain into the USB drive. Choose the legacy type without any other option. After the package is installed, also copy the same files to USB EFI as the second approach. Interesting thing is that the USB boots much master than the one made with first approach. I noticed it uses more space but was not able to figure out the other differences.

Attachments

• clove_usb_options.png
    clove_usb_options.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 494
  • usb_clover_files.zip
    273.2 KB · Views: 292
The problem of creating a El Capitan USB installer is that these laptops have a strange BIOS which makes the USB installer made from standard procedure always missing boot device. Following Rehanman’s device I have to put into the USB installer DSDT.aml with the patch to replace EHCx to EH0x which resolved the problem.

In my case I applied the following patch to the DSDT running on Yosemite: (there are several compiler errors after applying the patch in my case which have easy fixes of change “EH0x." to “EH0x,”)

Code:
# rename EHC1 to EH01
into device label EHC1 set_label begin EH01 end;
into_all all code_regex EHC1. replaceall_matched begin EH01. end;
into_all all code_regex .EHC1, replaceall_matched begin .EH01, end;

# rename EHC2 to EH02
into device label EHC2 set_label begin EH02 end;
into_all all code_regex EHC2. replaceall_matched begin EH02. end;
into_all all code_regex .EHC2, replaceall_matched begin .EH02, end;

This patch can be better accomplished with config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.

In fact, I'm considering adding it to all my config.plist files linked by my Clover guide.

Another way to make the USB installer is to use the package from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/, which install both Clover and El Captain into the USB drive. ... Interesting thing is that the USB boots much master than the one made with first approach. I noticed it uses more space but was not able to figure out the other differences.

Probably difference is BaseBinaries approach vs. createinstallmedia. createinstallmedia takes longer to use, but also creates the recovery partition.

This patch can be better accomplished with config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.

I tried the config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches way but still ran into "still waiting for root device ..." problem. Probably because of the Sony BIOS issue?

I tried the config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches way but still ran into "still waiting for root device ..." problem. Probably because of the Sony BIOS issue?

It means you did it incorrectly. No difference with the Clover patch vs. manually patching.

Thanks for this guide! I was able to boot from the stick without any problems.

Hello,

Thanks for the guide.

I would like to know if you noticed difference between Yosemite and El Capitan ? Better performance ? Fan noise ?

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for the guide.

I would like to know if you noticed difference between Yosemite and El Capitan ? Better performance ? Fan noise ?

Thanks

Nothing different PM-wise between 10.10 and 10.11. 10.11 has a few more features... (you can read about it on the net).

update from Jay's installation to 10.11.5 and everything works fine at the moment. Try to make a usb installer following Rehabman's guide to do a fresh installation but always reboot automatically after this screen shows.Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 8.02.26 PM.png

Last edited:
update from Jay's installation to 10.11.5 and everything works fine at the moment. Try to make a usb installer following Rehabman's guide to do a fresh installation but always reboot automatically after this screen shows.View attachment 204332

Clearly you didn't follow the guide... (If you look at the output, you can see you do not have the latest kexts in Clover/kexts/Other).

Read carefully: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back