i7-9700K
Graphics
MSI RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I installed Sonoma on a fresh SSD, all pas ok during the installation. but not the finder is hangind when
trait to delete or move files from one location to another. is this a known issue ? is there a way to fixed it ?

Thanks for and help or advice.

Hello,

I installed Sonoma on a fresh SSD, all pas ok during the installation. but not the finder is hangind when
trait to delete or move files from one location to another. is this a known issue ? is there a way to fixed it ?

Hi there.

What make/model of new SSD are you using?

:)

Hi there.

What make/model of new SSD are you using?

:)
I am not in front of my PC but if I remember correctly it’s a Samsung 1TB.
I will confirm model etc on Sunday.

Back home :) it's a Samsung 870 QVO 1TB. not really sure that the problem is coming from the SD.
I will try an update of my Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB Media directly and she if the problem remain.
of course I alreay have a backup of my Ventura working environment.

Back home :) it's a Samsung 870 QVO 1TB. not really sure that the problem is coming from the SD.
I will try an update of my Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB Media directly and she if the problem remain.
of course I alreay have a backup of my Ventura working environment.

The 970 EVO Plus will definitely give you problems with macOS.

I am having like a frozen finder, just at random, a couple times. You have to reload it to work. The area on the left stays in gray and you can't select any.

Never before, just in sonoma.

My ssd's are WesternDigital SN850

I think that I found and solved the finder not responding issues, by clearing Cache on Mac.
info found on " 13 Fixes Finder is slow on Mac (macOS Sonoma) "

1. From the Dock, hover the mouse and click on Finder.
  2. Select Go from the Finder Menubar.
  3. Click on Go To Folder…
  4. In the pop-up, enter the path: ~/Library/Caches
    find-caches-folder-on-mac.jpeg
  5. On the next window, press Command + A to select All Files. Then, Right-click on it, and from the drop-down, choose Move To Trash or Move To Bin as per the available options.
  6. clear-caches-on-mac-1536x740.jpeg

Hope it can help.

Hello,

I have seen this occur sporadically since Big Sur when a NVMe SSD with a macOS system installed on it is attached via USB.

In my case the trigger seems to be the existence of APFS snapshots on the USB drive. (For example, snapshots are created by default during normal backup operation of Carbon Copy Cloner).

Do you happen to have an NVMe SSD attached via USB when it hangs?

If so, does the USB NVMe SSD have macOS installed?

Does the hang occur when to do something to change the drive, like copy a file, or create a new folder?

If so, disconnect the SSD. When the hang occurs, eject will not work, so just unplug it. If the hang gets unstuck, the next step is to look for APFS snapshots.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to check for APFS snapshots because it has a handy snapshot panel under "Volumes"tab (Next to "Tasks" tab). —You can also examine snapshots in Disk Utility, but they're hidden until you reveal them with View > Advanced (or somesuch, I don't recall).

If you find APFS snapshots, you can continue to investigate by deleting them. ***Stop for a second and think this through, because deleting snapshots means you lose the data that's saved in snapshot, so don't rush and shoot yourself in the foot.

Assuming you can live without the snapshots, delete them all (you can't delete the original system snapshot that the Apple installer creates, so you'll end up with one snapshot). Does deleting all the user snapshots correct the hanging in Finder?

Good luck.

I think that I found and solved the finder not responding issues, by clearing Cache on Mac.
info found on " 13 Fixes Finder is slow on Mac (macOS Sonoma) "

1. From the Dock, hover the mouse and click on Finder.
  2. Select Go from the Finder Menubar.
  3. Click on Go To Folder…
  4. In the pop-up, enter the path: ~/Library/CachesView attachment 572752
  5. On the next window, press Command + A to select All Files. Then, Right-click on it, and from the drop-down, choose Move To Trash or Move To Bin as per the available options.
  6. View attachment 572753

Hope it can help.
I tried this, let's see if it works

Back