Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Quick post, I have an old desktop that had some good parts and was hoping to salvage some of it for a new hackintosh. I have a
  • Q6600 2.46Ghz LGA 775 processor,
  • GeForce 8800 GT Video card,
  • decent power supply,
  • antec 300 case.
I realize I would have to replace the mobo and the RAM for this install but do you see any reason I shouldn't be able to keep the processor and video card or am i better off starting with just the power supply and case?

Quick post, I have an old desktop that had some good parts and was hoping to salvage some of it for a new hackintosh. I have a
  • Q6600 2.46Ghz LGA 775 processor,
  • GeForce 8800 GT Video card,
  • decent power supply,
  • antec 300 case.
I realize I would have to replace the mobo and the RAM for this install but do you see any reason I shouldn't be able to keep the processor and video card or am i better off starting with just the power supply and case?

The GeForce 8800 GT would be worth using, the case would also be a possibility depending on the new motherboard that you choose. I would replace the PSU with one that is Haswell compliant. Suggest a google search using "haswell compliant power supply" for more info.

Thanks! Thoughts on the usability of the processor?

Nothing wrong with the processor. I assume that your existing build is not OS X friendly due to your motherboard. If this is the case then if you can find a usable socket 775 board, then you can create a working machine with your existing hardware. It will be a little slow in comparison to modern hardware but it could work. I have two socket 775 builds - I have only got E8400 processors though.

Correct, the mobo is an EVGA nForce 680i SLI which according to this post is notorious for difficult hacks. Also the case is an antec 900, not 300, so that's good.

The power supply I have is a TP3-650 and according to this website the TP-650 is compatible but I can't tell if they are the same thing or if the TP3 vs TP designation is significant.

http://techreport.com/review/24897/the-big-haswell-psu-compatibility-list#antec

I think that the TP3 designation will be pretty fundamental difference to the inside design of the power supplies. Going on what we know about Apple and how they major in reducing power consumption I would not bank on your TP3-650 being the best modern candidate for building aPC.

http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com...task=view&id=11&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=0

You can try it - it might work fine. I would advise that problems may not be immediately apparent and if you experience freezes or other issues then I would also be prepared to replace it. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back