Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Z77-DS3H issues after power cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Z77-DS3H is one of my favourite boards - It is so easy to install.

I am still not convinced your board is bad.

Try the latest FakeSMC and don't install the plugins before you buy any more parts.
Did you test the hard drive(s) ?

Thats one of the reasons why i don't want to upgrade because Z77-DS3H just worked till now. Tested and did a full Erase on all the drives on my laptop using a External Caddy. Ran Memtest yesterday and passed on CPU and RAM. FakeSMC is downloaded from Sourceforged but i only had them in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11 always been in there and not been a issue so i moved them to L/E which allowed me to boot without a kernel panic then. Cant be the amount of trouble I'm having because of that power supply. Shutdown and restart is back to normal working perfectly fine in that department just that related kernel panic.

Have you tried just disconnecting all your internal drives, resetting the bios, and doing a vanilla installation on a clean drive ?

Yeah mate. I Re-flashed the BIOS. Re-installed OS X. Re-patched a clean DSDT shutdown and reboot seems to be working fine now also sleep i went out earlier on and left the machine on went into sleep woke up fine when i got back. Ive been looking at Surge Protected extensions on amazon i came across a belkin one but its expensive. Looking at the 8 way strip. Im also thinking of getting a UPS because then it'll give me enough time to shutdown the machine. But it was a shock to me i should be using surged protected Electric extension leads. Also erased every single drive in Linux put them back in one by one and seems to be fine now but had a kernel panic this morning relating to FakeSMC because i forgot to put them in L/E. I think the BIOS was messed up but that god for the second BIOS backup chip on the board. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OE45MVK/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Surge protection leads will likely be of limited use to you if you buy a UPS, since a decent UPS will have the same level of protection built into it. You dont need to go expensive on a UPS either. At the most basic level, you only need a unit that gives you enough runtime power for the connected euipment to do a graceful shutdown. At that point its job is done.

Surge protection leads without using a UPS have their place though; the most you should have to deal with at that point is the unexpected shutdown, which should be recoverable in 99% of cases.

I saw the aftermath of a surge/spike last year in a large public sector command & control system. The results were not pretty and I believe the cost is still being counted.

Surge protection leads will likely be of limited use to you if you buy a UPS, since a decent UPS will have the same level of protection built into it. You dont need to go expensive on a UPS either. At the most basic level, you only need a unit that gives you enough runtime power for the connected euipment to do a graceful shutdown. At that point its job is done.

Surge protection leads without using a UPS have their place though; the most you should have to deal with at that point is the unexpected shutdown, which should be recoverable in 99% of cases.

I saw the aftermath of a surge/spike last year in a large public sector command & control system. The results were not pretty and I believe the cost is still being counted.

I'm gong to order a surge protector. And a UPS. The UPS I've been looking at is a 810watt hopefully that'll give me enough time to shutdown the system in time the UPS I've got my eye on has a Surge Protector in also. This is the one I'm looking at. It has enough power to power up a x99 system so it should be enough to power up my Ivy bridge machine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OFXKFI/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I've also seen computers that has a spike from power cuts lightening and the thing was destroyed I mean the board was black blown up. My old pentium 4 didn't survive tho the cap was blown from the power cut so that's had it really.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont get why you want to buy a surge protector if you are buying a UPS with surge protection built in ?

I've got my 3 monitors etc so I'd rather have a back up surge protector.

Why not spend a little more on a higher grade UPS instead ? If you do your homework regarding power usage, theres nothing to stop you using a standard 4 or 6 way extension plugged into the UPS. That will give you protection for all your equipment, a better grade of UPS, and no messing about with additional surge protectors that may not be needed.

Edit : Looking at that UPS again, you have 4 battery supplied sockets, and a further 4 surge protected sockets.

Why not spend a little more on a higher grade UPS instead ? If you do your homework regarding power usage, theres nothing to stop you using a standard 4 or 6 way extension plugged into the UPS. That will give you protection for all your equipment, a better grade of UPS, and no messing about with additional surge protectors that may not be needed.

Yeah. I'm still doing my research on it before I buy anything. Some of them are a bit pricey tbh. But I'll have a look around and see what I come across. It'll need to be over 700watt anyway as the machine has a 650watt PSU and I want to at least have enough wattage to play with for extra devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back