Contribute
Register

[solved] Wifi and Bluetooth with the Azurewave miniPCIe AW-CE123H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wifi and Bluetooth with the Azurewave miniPCIe AW-CE123H

That's odd - I got them from the USB key when I reverted a few posts ago and they continued working prior to the latest kext installs. I'll try to source them again, or perhaps the slightly modified ones from earlier. An OSX reinstallation would be beyond the pale at this point.

Ok-looks like Bluetooth and Wifi are working. I restored the old (I think) modified kexts and they seemed harmless to the extent the WiFi works again and Bluetooth is pairing. Perhaps the Kexts from the install disk weren't quite right anymore, or I messed up the extraction. Thanks for the Kexts Rehabman. I'll probably take another day to read over the rest of the instructions and tinker with the more advanced bluetooth/wifi stuff.

That's odd - I got them from the USB key when I reverted a few posts ago and they continued working prior to the latest kext installs. I'll try to source them again, or perhaps the slightly modified ones from earlier. An OSX reinstallation would be beyond the pale at this point.

If your install is relatively clean (as would be the case with Clover), you should be able to install over top of what you have.

To check your kexts:
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Any errors are bad news...

Ok-looks like Bluetooth and Wifi are working. I restored the old (I think) modified kexts and they seemed harmless to the extent the WiFi works again and Bluetooth is pairing. Perhaps the Kexts from the install disk weren't quite right anymore, or I messed up the extraction. Thanks for the Kexts Rehabman. I'll probably take another day to read over the rest of the instructions and tinker with the more advanced bluetooth/wifi stuff.

All you have left is the two patches. 5ghz patch for WiFi and handoff patch for bluetooth.

If you're using Clover it is a simple copy/paste into config.plist...

Hahaha-if only wishing made it so. I'm using Chimera. After reading through the vast majority of the "minipcie thread", I figure Bluetooth Handoff is the best bang for my time (since WiFi works enough). I see two methods - the "BT Handoff (10.10 and newer)" and "BCM94352 5 GHz/BT Handoff (10.10 and newer)". Unfortunately, I don't have AirPortBrcm4360.

After a bunch of searching, I found AirportBrcm4360 in the IO80211Family.kext. Apparently, I'm to find and replace "41 83 FC FF 74 2C 48" in it, which will make 5Ghz Wifi AND Bluetooth Handoff work, which seems to conflict with earlier instructions over in http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html. But maybe I'm suppose the read the instructions bottom-up...that would make more sense.

My first challenge here will be finding a binary editor that will open it (neither the CLI utilities I know nor Hex Fiend has gotten anywhere). Then, I'll have to decide how to proceed in the face of a series of possibly overlapping binary patches.

In trying to get Wifi going, I ran wireless_bcm94352-100-v3.0a.command from the minipcie repo -- which patched the Kexts in question. I attempted twice to revert the change, first with the backups, then with the OSX install disk, and I'm not sure how successful I was. Either way, I may be patching an already patched file, which could wreck the system after a failed binary patch.

EDIT: I may be further along than I thought. When I finally found my way to the binary at the bottom of the Kext Nesting Russian Dolls, I found an editable binary with the substitution above (66 C7 06 55 53 EB 2B) already there. In theory, then, 5Ghz and BT Handoff should be working already. But I have no way of testing this.

....After a bunch of searching, I found AirportBrcm4360 in the IO80211Family.kext. Apparently, I'm to find and replace "41 83 FC FF 74 2C 48" in it, which will make 5Ghz Wifi AND Bluetooth Handoff work,

No. They are two separate patches. You have to read toleda's posts very carefully.

See "BCM94352 5 GHz/BT Handoff (10.10 and newer)" 2.5.

WiFi 5Ghz is to AirportBrcm4360, where handoff is to IOBluetoothFamily.

My first challenge here will be finding a binary editor that will open it

Hex Fiend. There are also scripts in toleda's post.

Just so. I've been poring over that guide for something like 3 days, and only now are the finer points of it sinking in. As I mentioned in an edit above, I believe the patching was done already when I ran wireless_bcm94352-100-v3.0a.command last evening. In any event, the string 66 C7 06 55 53 EB 2B is already there. What took me much longer to understand is that the binary itself is nested inside a bunch of Kexts - which is why Hex Fiend wouldn't work for me.

With the files seemingly already patched, the (I think) next step in the process (running wireless_bcm94352-100.command) seems to be redundant for me. It may well be that 5GHz Wifi and Bluetooth Handoff are already working, but I'm unable to verify that one way or the other without some extensive testing (probably involving iMessage).

Just so. I've been poring over that guide for something like 3 days, and only now are the finer points of it sinking in. As I mentioned in an edit above, I believe the patching was done already when I ran wireless_bcm94352-100-v3.0a.command last evening. In any event, the string 66 C7 06 55 53 EB 2B is already there. What took me much longer to understand is that the binary itself is nested inside a bunch of Kexts - which is why Hex Fiend wouldn't work for me.

With the files seemingly already patched, the (I think) next step in the process (running wireless_bcm94352-100.command) seems to be redundant for me. It may well be that 5GHz Wifi and Bluetooth Handoff are already working, but I'm unable to verify that one way or the other without some extensive testing (probably involving iMessage).

You can see both in System Information.

Handoff will show under System Information -> Bluetooth.
And 5ghz will show as additional channels in System Information -> WiFi.

Well, that much looks good. Under Bluetooth, I see:
Handoff Supported: Yes

and under WiFi, I see:
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 132, 136, 140, 144, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

I assume this means things should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back