2. Color Classic
  3. Portable
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

First post in a long time! Last year I upgraded my PowerHack G5 (build in signature) with a Gigabyte Aorus Elite Z690M mobo, an i7 12700K and a RX 6600XT. Nowadays this machine is mostly a gaming PC, but I wanted to maintain Hackintosh capability. I followed some online advice about OpenCore Adler Lake support, but I failed miserably…

Today I'm making a fresh attempt, but I'm failing as well… Currently OpenCore loads fine, but the Ventura USB installer gets stuck with the infamous prohibited sign and a url to Apple Support.

It's a fresh USB with the debug version of OpenCore 0.9.4. I setup the EFI following Dortania's Comet Lake guide, and the Adler Lake guidance found on the web. I tried the troubleshooting steps on Dortania's guide to no avail…

Attached are my config.plist and the last OpenCore log. I can attach the whole EFI folder if that helps. Does anybody have a clue about what I'm missing? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• opencore-2023-08-12-224414.txt
    256 KB · Views: 36
  • config.plist
    32.1 KB · Views: 36
Hi there,

First post in a long time! Last year I upgraded my PowerHack G5 (build in signature) with a Gigabyte Aorus Elite Z690M mobo, an i7 12700K and a RX 6600XT. Nowadays this machine is mostly a gaming PC, but I wanted to maintain Hackintosh capability. I followed some online advice about OpenCore Adler Lake support, but I failed miserably…

Today I'm making a fresh attempt, but I'm failing as well… Currently OpenCore loads fine, but the Ventura USB installer gets stuck with the infamous prohibited sign and a url to Apple Support.

It's a fresh USB with the debug version of OpenCore 0.9.4. I setup the EFI following Dortania's Comet Lake guide, and the Adler Lake guidance found on the web. I tried the troubleshooting steps on Dortania's guide to no avail…

Attached are my config.plist and the last OpenCore log. I can attach the whole EFI folder if that helps. Does anybody have a clue about what I'm missing? Thanks in advance!

Hi there.

The prohibited sign and it's cause won't show in the OpenCore log because it usually occurs when the system is handed over to the OS.

The way to check is to boot in verbose mode. Either add a "-v" to the NVRAM boot-command line, or try CMD+V at the OpenCore menu.

If it stops at "still waiting for root device" or similar then usually the OS has lost sight of the USB stick, meaning USB configuration needs addressing.

The prohibited sign and it's cause won't show in the OpenCore log because it usually occurs when the system is handed over to the OS.
That makes sense ;)
Thanks for your answer! Actually it's booting in verbose mode, and it seems to fail right at the beginning of the boot process, since the last lines showing are the same than the last lines of the OpenCore log:

Code:
29:995 00:053 AAPL: @[EB|MMD][# 52] 0x00000007 0x0000000100000000 0x0000000000000000 0x0000000000BBFC00 0x000000000000000F
30:044 00:048 AAPL: @[EB|MMD]>------
30:093 00:049 AAPL: #[EB|STOP] 0x16
30:143 00:049 AAPL: #[EB|H:IS] 0
30:207 00:064 AAPL: #[EB.G.CS|-?] Ok(0)
30:264 00:056 AAPL: Displaying boot failure graphic for 10 seconds...

So I understand it's not necessarily an USB configuration issue…

Attachments

• 20230813105628@2x.png
    [email protected]
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20230813105645@2x.png
    [email protected]
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
@P1LGRIM, you're telling me the installer USB I created on a M2 MacBook Pro can't boot on Intel? I thought those were still universal binaries…

Anyway, I'm currently trying to make another installer USB from Windows…

@P1LGRIM, you're telling me the installer USB I created on a M2 MacBook Pro can't boot on Intel? I thought those were still universal binaries…

That's actually a very important consideration.

As Ventura is a "universal" OS, if the installer is created on an Apple Silicon machine, is the result an ARM-only USB stick?

Must admit I don't know.

If the total code on the USB stick takes up more than 12GB then it might be "universal" also.

You're putting words in my mouth and that is not what I am saying at all.

Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 11.43.40.png
Change your system definition to one that is supported by the version of the OS that you are attempting to install.

You're putting words in my mouth and that is not what I am saying at all.
@P1LGRIM Actually you just pointed me to the url without saying anything... ;)
Sorry I wrongly assumed it meant the Apple Silicon made installer wouldn't boot on Intel, because my system definition in config.plist is of a MacPro7,1 which is recommended for Adler Lake and which runs Ventura. Am I missing something else?

Sorry if I sound like a noob, which I still am even though it's not my first Hackintosh.

Thanks for your answer!

You should check your config.plist for getting rid of any errors ( using ocvalidate utility )
It seems that you did not start configuration from Sample.plist belonging to OpenCore 0.9.4
My config.plist is indeed based on the sample.plist from OpenCore 0.9.4.

Regarding the 5 key missing in the ACPI > Patch section, Dortania's guide says "This section allows us to dynamically modify parts of the ACPI (DSDT, SSDT, etc.) via OpenCore. For us, our patches are handled by our SSDTs. This is a much cleaner solution as this will allow us to boot Windows and other OSes with OpenCore."
So I left it as it was in sample.plist.
Regardng "No schema for AllowNvramReset at 13 index", the AllowNvramReset variable is set to True in Misc>Security. Dortania's guide says nothing about this variable, so I left it as is.
Do you think any of those validation errors would prevent the installer from booting?

My point is clear : config.plist should be configured such as ocvalidate should not return any error(s).
And… it boots!

Not sure exactly what did the trick, but I cleaned up my config.plist so it validated, using values copied over from some successful builds around. I could boot my Big Sur drive from two years ago and backup my VMs…

Doing a clean install of Ventura now.Thanks all for your help! I'll most certainly come back asking for help as I'll discover various issues down the road, but that topic is now solved! ;)

Back