i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've read over and over again on this site that I need to set up my USB ports properly. Every time I look at Rehabman's guide on how to make a custom SSDT for that I break out into a cold sweat.

So I decided to follow this guide, which looks much simpler:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-intel-fb-patcher-v1-6-8.254559/

The problem is, though, that I can't even get past the first step.

Can someone please tell me what the following means, and how to do it, in plain English, in step-by-step fashion:

- Clover Rename XHC1 -> XHC
- Clover Rename EHC1 -> EH01
- Clover Rename EHC2 -> EH02

I have no clue.

Since it's assumed I already know how to do this, I also assume it's a simple question for most on this forum to answer.

So, who'll be first?

First mount your system drive's EFI partition and then open the Clover folder's config.plist with an editing app.

Here's a free plist editor that you could use. Xcode is free too but you'll find BBEdit easier to learn. Also look at PlistEdit Pro.
https://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/download.html

Make the changes suggested in the FB patcher guide. Save the plist after you're done.

Last edited:
I know how to use BBEdit.

Please tell me what this means and how to do it:

Sorry but once again you are assuming I know something that I have no clue about. The FB patcher guide does NOT tell me how to do this, it assumes I know, just like you are doing.

Sorry but once again you are assuming I know something that I have no clue about. The FB patcher guide does NOT tell me how to do this, it assumes I know, just like you are doing.

First make a backup of your current config.plist before you try to edit.
You can use BBEdit or PlistEdit Pro https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/plisteditpro_downloads

I think the PE Pro also gives you a one month free trial.

You should first look at your IOREG to see whether you need the XHC rename or not.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-make-a-copy-of-ioreg.58368/

Here's how you apply the EHC1 & EHC2 renames.
Once you've opened the plist with your editor, you need to add the following to the ACPI patches section for the EHC1 & EHC2 renames.
Code:
                <dict>
                    <key>Comment</key>
                    <string>change EHC1 to EH01</string>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>Find</key>
                    <data>
                    </data>
                    <key>Replace</key>
                    <data>
                    </data>
                </dict>
                <dict>
                    <key>Comment</key>
                    <string>change EHC2 to EH02</string>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>Find</key>
                    <data>
                    </data>
                    <key>Replace</key>
                    <data>
                    </data>
                </dict>

Here's how it would look in PlistEdit Pro:

Screen Shot 2.jpg

You can also use Clover Configurator's ACPI -> DSDT Patches section and select the specific renames that you need for your specific hardware, to change them in your config.plist. You won't likely need "change COPR to MATH."

Screen Shot.jpg

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Last edited:
I know how to use BBEdit.

Please tell me what this means and how to do it:

Hi there.

As I understand it XHC is an acronym for "eXtensible Host Controller" and is a computer interface specification that Apple uses. It also features in a PC BIOS as XHCI and can be turned on or off there. As we are converting a PC into a Mac we have to make sure that the USB hardware macOS sees is in a form it expects and can operate with.

When a PC boots macOS it sets up hardware as well as it can, with no knowledge of the platform we are actually using. Running the utility called IORegistryExplorer lets us see what this hardware is and how it is assigned. Sometimes the hardware is listed differently to that expected or needed.

If XHC1 or similar is assigned and present we need to rename it to XHC so that macOS can see and use it and this is done by performing the operation "on the fly" each time we boot using config.plist which Clover reads.

I think ... :rolleyes:

OK thank you all for the help!

I downloaded ioregistryexplorer and typed XHC into the search bar. Attached is a screenshot.

Where do I go from there? Do I need the rename or not? And if so, how exactly do I write it? In other words, what would be the values for the Find and Replace?
ioreg-screenshot.jpg

OK thank you all for the help!

I downloaded ioregistryexplorer and typed XHC into the search bar. Attached is a screenshot.

Where do I go from there? Do I need the rename or not? And if so, how exactly do I write it? In other words, what would be the values for the Find and Replace?View attachment 376278

Hi there.

My view - there's no need to put a rename in the config, the section is already showing as XHC :thumbup: Mine was the same. Lucky I guess.

You have all 15 ports there, that macOS sees, listed HS01 to HS14 and then a USR1. What you *do* need to do is get the SS** ports showing, as these are the USB 3 version of the same physical ports labelled HS** which are USB 2.

To explain this, a single USB 3.0 port needs two configurations - one as HS (USB 2.0) and one as SS (USB 3.0) - to allow the correct operation of any device plugged in (Could be a USB 3.0 memory-stick or a USB 2.0 scanner for example).

The easiest way to get them all showing to start with is to install @RehabMan 's USBInjectAll.kext and the Port Limit Removal patch in your config.plist. With these two things done you should see both HS and SS ports in IORegistryExplorer. Some motherboards can be tricky but I think yours is okay. If not though, doing the next step will make them work.

Next job (ideally, though things might seem okay without) is to create the USB SSDT you mentioned right back at the beginning of the thread. It looks scary but isn't really. You are basically writing a script, using a template, which tells Clover how many ports to activate (15 max) and what is expected of each one.

:)

OK thanks.

I would rather use the FB-Patcher and create a Kext than try to do the SSDT thing. Rehabman's guides are like Greek to me wheresas this FB-Patcher guide looks relatively straightforward, now that you've helped me get past this first hurdle.

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone. I was able to follow the FB-Patcher guide last night and USB seems to be working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back