Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming WiFi
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 570
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello all,

I've recently completed a new CustoMac build and installed Mojave which was pretty painless for the most part. So far everything seems to be working fine except the USB 3.0 ports are only running at 480 Mb/sec. I'm thinking the front ports were running at full speed at one point but I have since been unable to replicate this. The 3.1 ports are running at full speed. The USB 3.0 bus is detected in system information and so I'm not sure why they don't run at full speed.

Right now I'm using a 3.0 hub connected to the 3.1 port as a workaround but I would like to get the other ports working correctly if possible. I've tried all of the USB options in MultiBeast with the same results. I'm using the recommended BIOS setting for this board. The only other thing I can think to try would be a custom SSDT but that process seems to be a bit over my head and I wasn't sure if it would help since all ports are detected and working albeit just not at full speed.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Hello all,

I've recently completed a new CustoMac build and installed Mojave which was pretty painless for the most part. So far everything seems to be working fine except the USB 3.0 ports are only running at 480 Mb/sec. I'm thinking the front ports were running at full speed at one point but I have since been unable to replicate this. The 3.1 ports are running at full speed. The USB 3.0 bus is detected in system information and so I'm not sure why they don't run at full speed.

Right now I'm using a 3.0 hub connected to the 3.1 port as a workaround but I would like to get the other ports working correctly if possible. I've tried all of the USB options in MultiBeast with the same results. I'm using the recommended BIOS setting for this board. The only other thing I can think to try would be a custom SSDT but that process seems to be a bit over my head and I wasn't sure if it would help since all ports are detected and working albeit just not at full speed.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Correct USB configuration is important:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

Thank you so much for the guide! It looked a bit overwhelming at first but once I got going it wasn't too bad.

Most of my ports are working correctly now but there is still an issue with 2 of the ports. Two of them are still only running at 2.0 speeds. Below is what I came up with with my testing in IOReg.

HS01/SS01: USB3 front bottom
HS02/SS02: USB3 front top
HS03/SS03: USB3 back top left
HS04/SS04: USB3 back top right
HS07/SS07: USB3 back middle left
HS08/SS08: USB3 back middle right
HS09/SS09: USB3 back bottom left <--Runs at 2.0 speed
HS10/SS10: USB3 back bottom right <--Runs at 2.0 speed
HS13: Bluetooth

If I'm understanding correctly that puts me at 17 total ports not counting the USB 3.1 and USB-C ports that I never saw in IOReg (they still work fine). Can the total number of ports be increased beyond 15 or am I going to need to disable a couple of them or force them to be 3.0 only? ? I've attached my SSDT in case I made a mistake there.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC.aml
    777 bytes · Views: 135
Last edited:
Answering as best I can. Always hoping to learn.
If I'm understanding correctly that puts me at 17 total ports

Over 15 total is a problem. Basically you need to comment out of your SSDT source the ports you can live without. For a commented out port, remove both USB2 & 3 for those ports.

If you have more than 15 ports they may or may not work, or may not work as expected. Maybe your problem is evidence of "not as expected"? As RehabMan says, fix the SSDT first of all.
not counting the USB 3.1 and USB-C ports that I never saw in IOReg (they still work fine).

To see all ports, you may need to exclude all HS (but keep your mouse/keyboard) and then only SS, i.e. the quoted bits below. This will enable ALL of each type to show up in IORegistryExplorer. Otherwise you can miss them. They must be there for the ports to work, but the behaviour is unpredictable.
Making a note of the ports needed for operable keyboard and mouse is important when you go to test the SSxx ports, since you will need to use uia_include to include the HSxx port that your keyboard and mouse are attached to.

To show only USB2 ports use (change to exclude_hs for the reverse):
we boot with kernel flag -uia_exclude_ss

or where HS03 is your keyboard etc
-uia_exclude_hs uia_include=HS03
To view ports without the effect of an installed SSDT:
- if you have an existing SSDT for USBInjectAll, use -uia_ignore_rmcf

Apologies if any of this is incorrect. As an example of commenting out ports, I attach my own SSDT source.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl
    4.9 KB · Views: 163
Answering as best I can. Always hoping to learn.

Over 15 total is a problem. Basically you need to comment out of your SSDT source the ports you can live without. For a commented out port, remove both USB2 & 3 for those ports.

If you have more than 15 ports they may or may not work, or may not work as expected. Maybe your problem is evidence of "not as expected"? As RehabMan says, fix the SSDT first of all.

To see all ports, you may need to exclude all HS (but keep your mouse/keyboard) and then only SS, i.e. the quoted bits below. This will enable ALL of each type to show up in IORegistryExplorer. Otherwise you can miss them. They must be there for the ports to work, but the behaviour is unpredictable.

To show only USB2 ports use (change to exclude_hs for the reverse):

or where HS03 is your keyboard etc

To view ports without the effect of an installed SSDT:

Apologies if any of this is incorrect. As an example of commenting out ports, I attach my own SSDT source.

Thank you for the information. I went back and re-checked the 3.1 ports in IOReg and I found them but they don't show up under HS or SS. They show up under RP, screenshots attached. According to RehabMan on another post as long as they work there is nothing to fix.

I did do the exclude process during when I created the SSDT so I'm pretty sure I got them all. I'll probably just comment out the bottom two ports and call it a day.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure is working properly is the USB type C port, so far I've only gotten it to show as 480 Mb/sec but I only have two type C adapters and I'm not 100% sure they are really USB 3.0. Since I don't use any type C devices right now I'm not really worried about it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 1.04.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 1.04.06 AM.png
    268 KB · Views: 322
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 1.04.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 1.04.43 AM.png
    266.6 KB · Views: 288
Update: After commenting out two of the ports I was able to confirm the USB type-C is also now running at full speed. You guys are awesome, thank you!!!

Hello. I have an Asus Prime B365-M A board and I can't get the Type-C port speed of 5 Gb / s, only 480 Mb / s. How did you do it? I even limited the number of ports to 6 and to no avail. I note that everything is fine in the BIOS, but on Windows 8.1 the speed is also 480 Mb / s, but there most likely this is due to the driver - I'm not sure. I am using my USBPorts.kext and XHCI-unsupported.kext. Help if you have time. SSDT-UIAC.aml I have attached.

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2021-02-09 в 19.03.35.png
    Снимок экрана 2021-02-09 в 19.03.35.png
    442.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Снимок экрана 2021-02-09 в 19.15.42.png
    Снимок экрана 2021-02-09 в 19.15.42.png
    670.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Снимок экрана 2021-02-09 в 19.16.03.png
    Снимок экрана 2021-02-09 в 19.16.03.png
    640.9 KB · Views: 95
  • SSDT-UIAC.aml
    863 bytes · Views: 65