Contribute
Register

[Solved] Updated to 10.12.4 ->black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a similar issue, but I don't even get to the logo. Clover comes up for 1 second like it normally does to boot then picked the boot drive to boot MacOS then just black.....I can't do anything but power down the computer. I was able to get it booting off the USB but thats it.

Edit: Also I did update Clover before I updated, and I tried the patch in this thread with no luck. Now I lost USB 3 ability, which I had working 5 minutes ago.

Thanks for the guide, successfully booting up and continued with the installation. For those who've problem, you could boot into a single user mode, mount the EFI partition and edit the config.plist as per earlier instruction. I guess you need to add into a totally new section since adding the <key>KernelToPatch</key> into existing <key>KernelAndKextPatches</key> doesn't work for me.

Editing after I got it to work.

It was hanging at about 90% indefinitely. I downloaded and installed Clover to a USB file, booted into Windows on the same machine (though I imagine this could be done in single user mode or the Terminal through a Recovery Partition) and copied over the updated folders to the existing EFI partition. After the fact, I wonder if it was the missing '10.12' folder in the kexts that caused the full issue.

Computer booted back into the progress bar, but I could finally see the finalizing 10.12.4 installer and was able to get past it and update the Nvidia drivers.

Last edited:
I ran into the same issue. Did a direct update to 10.12.4, now the system boots past the apple logo, then goes to black screen.
I don't have OS in another partition; I can still access the clover boot manager and can boot into recovery partition.
How can I update clover if cannot boot into the OSX partition? Currently using another mac laptop.

I've tried to install the latest clover boot loader 4049 with no luck still the same black screen.

But I am able to boot successfully through USB with clover 4045. Anyone knows how do I fix it ? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The patch from #4 does not work for me (the location in my config.plist doesnt matter). MacOS loads, my GPU Fan turns down and all i got is still black screen. I think the OS ist up an running but my Output ist broken. Checked HDMI and DVI - on both i got a black screen.

EDIT: this did the trick for me

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-updated-to-10-12-4-before-upgrading-clover.218310/

Extract the lzma/iso with 7zip, put the EFI Folder to your USB drive, boot from that USB drive, select your macOS Installation as boot Option and voila > right after that install and update clover (with pkg) :)

Last edited:
I've got the same issue,.. Mac OS updated when I left computer on overnight.

Now I'm stuck on progress bar and eventually black screen.

I have tried edting the config.plist as described, but no luck.

I have access to a Sierra Install USB and the Recovery Partition.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Still pretty lost on this. I see in this thread about the related issue that it suggests installing kexts to /Library/Extensions/. There are some files in this folder with the same name such as CodecCommander.kext, so I am concerned about overwriting. I'm wondering if it is possible to copy the kexts from EFI to this folder or preferabbly the mysterious /Extra/Extensions/ folder. I'm unsure whether Extras/Extensions should be on the EFI Partion at <EFI Volume>/Extra/Extensions/ or <EFI Volume>/EFI/Extra/Extensions/. There is currently no such folder in either place, or on my main drive. I've also seen references to chmod'ing the files after copying. Does anyone know how this all should be done?

The search continues...

I've decided to try a different route, but no matter what I try I get caught up not knowing little bits and pieces.

I'm working from the Recovery HD which has it's limitations.

I load the Recovery HD and load terminal from the Utilities menu. From there I load Safari by running:

/Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari

I open up a secondary Terminal window and then I am able to browse the web for help and test things in terminal at the same time.

My most recent attempt was to download Clover via the link on this page using curl.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-for-kext-injection-in-macos-10-12-4.218062/

After downloading the file I unziped using bsdtar:

mkdir clover
bsdtar -x -f clover.zip -C clover

Now I am trying to use the installer command to run the contained Clover_2.4k__r4045-UEFI.pkg file.

However, it is asking for a -target parameter and I am unsure what that should be.

My EFI Volume is mounted at /Volumes/EFI and there is a child folder inside that path also named EFI which houses the CLOVER folder, etc.

I'd be greatful for any help that could be provided.

Thanks,

I finally got things working by borrowing another Mac and making a Clover Bootable USB. Then I booted from that and updated my Clover installation on my main EFI partition.

Following, I also installed Sierra on the USB so I can use to troubleshoot in the future, should the need arrive.

The search continues...

I've decided to try a different route, but no matter what I try I get caught up not knowing little bits and pieces.

I'm working from the Recovery HD which has it's limitations.

I load the Recovery HD and load terminal from the Utilities menu. From there I load Safari by running:

/Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari

I open up a secondary Terminal window and then I am able to browse the web for help and test things in terminal at the same time.

My most recent attempt was to download Clover via the link on this page using curl.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-for-kext-injection-in-macos-10-12-4.218062/

After downloading the file I unziped using bsdtar:

mkdir clover
bsdtar -x -f clover.zip -C clover

Now I am trying to use the installer command to run the contained Clover_2.4k__r4045-UEFI.pkg file.

However, it is asking for a -target parameter and I am unsure what that should be.

My EFI Volume is mounted at /Volumes/EFI and there is a child folder inside that path also named EFI which houses the CLOVER folder, etc.

I'd be greatful for any help that could be provided.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back