Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm trying to update from El Capitan to Sierra on my hackintosh. I have downloaded the Sierra updater from the app stores, updated Clover to the latest version, checked my computer's profile in about this mac (imac 14,2), but when I go through the installation procedure, it fails and the system reboots into El Capitan.

To clarify, when I get to Bios I choose to boot to "MacOS install" disk, and have tried:
  • Not pressing spacebar or changing anything
  • choosing 'without cache'
  • choosing 'without cache and without kexts'
  • choosiing 'without kexts'
They all give the same result: it reboots into El Capitan, where everything is working just as it was before.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, or the same? What should I try next?

Additional info: I don't think there's anything wrong with the installer I downloaded. I used Unibeast to create a USB drive and that worked fine, but I haven't tried booting from it yet. As I understood it, this upgrade process is best achieved by simply going through the standard install routine with the downloaded installer.

The mac app store offers me Sierra as an upgrade, but clicking on 'free upgrade' simply hangs with a spinning wheel. The 'updates' section says 'no updates available'. By navigating around the app store I found a link which allowed me to download the Sierra installer onto the hackintosh.

I'm trying to update from El Capitan to Sierra on my hackintosh. I have downloaded the Sierra updater from the app stores, updated Clover to the latest version, checked my computer's profile in about this mac (imac 14,2), but when I go through the installation procedure, it fails and the system reboots into El Capitan.

To clarify, when I get to Bios I choose to boot to "MacOS install" disk, and have tried:
  • Not pressing spacebar or changing anything
  • choosing 'without cache'
  • choosing 'without cache and without kexts'
  • choosiing 'without kexts'
They all give the same result: it reboots into El Capitan, where everything is working just as it was before.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, or the same? What should I try next?

Additional info: I don't think there's anything wrong with the installer I downloaded. I used Unibeast to create a USB drive and that worked fine, but I haven't tried booting from it yet. As I understood it, this upgrade process is best achieved by simply going through the standard install routine with the downloaded installer.

The mac app store offers me Sierra as an upgrade, but clicking on 'free upgrade' simply hangs with a spinning wheel. The 'updates' section says 'no updates available'. By navigating around the app store I found a link which allowed me to download the Sierra installer onto the hackintosh.

My bad.... turns out I had NOT updated Clover, I had only updated Clover Configurator, and that apparently is not the same thing! It now appears to be working ok.... install is in progress.

My bad.... turns out I had NOT updated Clover, I had only updated Clover Configurator, and that apparently is not the same thing! It now appears to be working ok.... install is in progress.

Solved, install worked. Update 'Clover' from sourcefourge, not just 'Clover Configurator.' duh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back