Razer Blade
CPU
Intel Core i7-7700HQ
Graphics
NVidia GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi,

I'm currently in post-installation phase working out the finer details of graphics problems. My laptop boots and has graphics acceleration, but I noticed that when booting in verbose mode, the nVidia Web drivers for the GTX 1060 don't start, as shown in comparing the two attached kextstat outputs. To summarize, graphics are working in regular boot, but verbose mode triggers some mysterious change that causes nVidia drivers not to load.

I am aware that it is convention to disable the the nVidia card in optimus setups to preserve battery life; however, unlike most laptops, the Razer Blade's HDMI is directly output from the dedicated GTX 1060. When plugged into my monitor, I will most likely be on AC Power, so battery life isn't as concerning as having an monitor output.

I attached the required files listed in the "Problem Reporting" thread. While this problem doesn't seem to affect normal use of this hackintosh, it does present something of a mystery that I can't figure out myself.

Here are screenshots of System Report when the nvidia card works and doesn't work:
system report nvidia.png system report no nvidia.png

Hope someone more experienced that me can figure this out. Thanks!

(moved from post-installation > graphics support)

Marked solved: I hope I get good enough someday that I can find out this speculative patch on my own.

Solution is obvious: Don't expect Nvidia drivers to work with verbose boot. Avoid using verbose boot if you expect to use the Nvidia device.

I suspect the Nvidia kexts are parsing the "-v" kernel flag somewhere. The check could probably be patched away...

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 215
  • RehabMan.zip
    57.7 KB · Views: 156
  • kextstat output compare.zip
    15.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IOReg compare.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 194
Last edited:
To summarize, graphics are working in regular boot, but verbose mode triggers some mysterious change that causes nVidia drivers not to load.

I have observed the same thing with my desktop with Nvidia 1050Ti (using the Nvidia web drivers).

Solution is obvious: Don't expect Nvidia drivers to work with verbose boot. Avoid using verbose boot if you expect to use the Nvidia device.

I suspect the Nvidia kexts are parsing the "-v" kernel flag somewhere. The check could probably be patched away...

I have the exact same thing - Mojave with GT720 only boots if I use web drivers and verbose.
Did anyone ever figure that one out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back