Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
as nvidia released a critical driver update for windows AND linux to fix a potential opening for a hacker, maybe we could stress nvidia to release a security update for mac too ?
with a bit of luck, they will release an uptodate branch with pascal support ^^

hi
I'm writing from 'Italy and my English is not the best. I follow the topic from the first page and it seems to have understood, these drivers for 1070 and 1080 hardly will come out, right?
I was thinking of going back to the 980ti, but I'm confident at least until the beginning of 2017 .. I wonder if this immense delay may be due to rumors that I read, that apple in 2017 may again support AMD CPU and graphics chip (think upcoming release of ryzen ). At this point then I'll have to take a step back. hello to everyone I follow constantly.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/20/usb-c-imac-touch-bar-magic-keyboard/

Okay so assuming the 10 series drivers never happen, the next best thing would be to buy the amd GPU that will be in the next Mac Pro right (2017 hopefully)? I'm trying to see my options here instead of having to buy the 980ti or titanx.

I think it should be fine but you may get black screen before booting into macOS if your mobo doesn't support setting initial display on specific PCIE slot.

I tried something similar before:

Mobo: Gigabyte B75M-D3H
1st PCIE(x16): GTX 1080
2nd PCIE(x4): GTX 670
Initial Graphics: PEG (1st slot, B75M-D3H doesn't support using specific PCIE slot).

It works, but since the initial display is GTX 1080, so I lost monitor signal before successfully boot into macOS.

P.S. I didn't test sleeping issue.
Thanks, anyway I've been thinking twice about it, and I think I'll try to give a second chance to the HD530. Maybe with a VGA switch I can obtain the same effect as hot plugging after boot without having to actually hot plug the cable, which I don't like. The broken sleep on the HD530 seems harder to fix, though, I assume there's no way to workaround it.

I think, that my question is quite stupid, but I need to ask :) Can I install the second nvidia graphics card along with my 1080 and use it in OS X instead of 1080 without unplugging the 1080?
So the scenario is:
1080 for Linux/Windows and something like gtx 760 for OS X.
Thanks

I think, that my question is quite stupid, but I need to ask :) Can I install the second nvidia graphics card along with my 1080 and use it in OS X instead of 1080 without unplugging the 1080?
So the scenario is:
1080 for Linux/Windows and something like gtx 760 for OS X.
Thanks

this is not the right place, however I just finished a setup similar to this.

HD530 never worked, so disabled via bios (z170 pro gaming) and set the gpu primary to auto.
gtx 1080 in the first slot, dp to 4k monitor
gt 740 SC in the second slot, mini hdmi to the same 4k monitor (pip testing)

I was able to install without injecting from the 1080.
Then once the system was installed properly I installed the latest CUDA for osx, I went to Displays in settings and assigned the menu bar to the screen rendering the 740 SC.

In Windows I disabled via the peripheral manager the 740 SC, but windows is taking the 1080 as main anyway.

Rebooted on the mac and now the first monitor renders on 740 SC. SwitchXRes forced to render 2k@60hz (maximum achievable).
The gtx 1080 will continue to display another monitor however if the dp cable is plugged in, however a guy with a radeon was able to stop that by deleting some related kexts.

HD530 never worked
tell that to my hackintosh as the HD530 is working fine :p
ok you can forget gaming on mac, but that is not the purpose .. if I want to game I boot on Win10

tell that to my hackintosh as the HD530 is working fine :p
ok you can forget gaming on mac, but that is not the purpose .. if I want to game I boot on Win10

yeah I did pretty much everything in my hands to get that HD530 to work but I wasn't able to.
Also I gather it has sleep issues, so not ideal.

I bought a GT 740 SC just to have acceleration on desktop, for games I'm on dual boot with windows too.

Edit: also, are you able to make gtx 1080 primary on win and hd530 primary on mac without touching cables?
everytime a cable is inserted in HD530 my bios won't listen to directive and set that as primary

In my bios I setup the IGP as primary, it is connected to my monitor with HDMI
and my 1070 (sorry I don't have a 1080 :( ) is connected to the same monitor with DVI

mac boots with the 530, (i installed it with the tools from this site and simply apply the glitch fixes by modifying the clover file)
win10 think that I have 2 monitors, so i simply went to the monitor setup and tell that the second monitor (the one on HDMI ^^ ) is disabled

that way I did not need to touch any cable at all, the monitor detect the DVI or HDMI signal
as the first display is the 530 on HDMI, when turning on the PC, I see clover with the 530 and of course when booting on mac there is no issue

when I boot on win10, the monitor needs a few seconds to switch...
I was not expecting this to work, but it works..

on OSX however when the computer goes to sleep mode, i can't wake it up (need to halt the computer by pressing the power button and turn it on again)... don't know if this is related to the 530 or something else

of course i would prefere having only one cable to my monitor and have better 3D perf on OSX so I could also play a few games there... but well nvidia seems to be kind of stupid :/ If i knew that the next AMD GPU was about the same speed as a 1070 I would had wait and bought it so that I can do both OS without this HDMI trick ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back