Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally decided to build separate machine for Hackintosh, until we do not have the drivers for 1080 =)
Merry Christmas guys!

Planning on doing the same for the sake of Xcode builds. Remote Desktop works pretty well.

Damn you guys really love the 1080 don't you haha.

It's divine! I've used it for encoding and some video tasks so far and I'm so impressed! I've used high-end trashcan Mac Pros and I'm sorry they can not even come close. I compiled ffmpeg with NVidia h265 support and it took a minute to encode a 1.5hour DVD vs 17 minutes with handbrake. Seriously, I about passed out from that kind of result.

Now my needs are compute and software dev so I probably keep my card sleeping most of the time but the fact it's not used in Mac Pros today is tragic. I'm not an NVidia fan-boy but I'm extremely impressed with the performance. It's unfortunately it's not an option for Mac Pros or built-to-order on Macs. Apple is missing out of pro graphics by skipping NVidia for AMD. And I seriously doubt (in my humble opinion) AMD will keep up in the new gen. Its sounds promising but I'm not betting on it. Frankly even if they did I doubt they can produce them with needed demand. And then there's machine learning software that doesn't support open-cl or does poorly. There isn't even a comparison.

Gaming maybe, but for me I could give a drow's bum.

Then again I may be completely off.

Damn you guys really love the 1080 don't you haha.

It's divine! I've used it for encoding and some video tasks so far and I'm so impressed! I've used high-end trashcan Mac Pros and I'm sorry they can not even come close. I compiled ffmpeg with NVidia h265 support and it took a minute to encode a 1.5hour DVD vs 17 minutes with handbrake. Seriously, I about passed out from that kind of result.

Now my needs are compute and software dev so I probably keep my card sleeping most of the time but the fact it's not used in Mac Pros today is tragic. I'm not an NVidia fan-boy but I'm extremely impressed with the performance. It's unfortunately it's not an option for Mac Pros or built-to-order on Macs. Apple is missing out of pro graphics by skipping NVidia for AMD. And I seriously doubt (in my humble opinion) AMD will keep up in the new gen. Its sounds promising but I'm not betting on it. Frankly even if they did I doubt they can produce them with needed demand. And then there's machine learning software that doesn't support open-cl or does poorly. There isn't even a comparison.

Gaming maybe, but for me I could give a drow's bum.

Then again I may be completely off.

No I agree, I have a 1080FTW sitting in a box and it's going up for sale this week.

Also have 2x980Ti FTW that will go up on sale (because I just grabbed Hybrids with a radiator for SLI).

1080 is definitely one of the best cards I've ever used. 1080Ti will be killer.

I'm just not willing to move to Windows for a graphics card, that's all :)

At least for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back