Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad I just got a 1060 - maybe I can still switch it for a R480
Just find a used 980Ti (6GB RAM).

From the looks of it, the RX480 is not easy to set up, but works.

Also 980Ti is miles ahead of RX480's performance.

Couldn`t wait any longer, 980ti on way (ebay), will hold onto 1070 for a while, but not too long. Be glad, not having to check this thread every day !

Beware, when the 1080Ti comes out, prices will drop on the other 1000 series cards.

I haven't put my 1080 up for sale yet, I'm hopeful still that 10.12.2 will bring a driver, but if not, it's going up in seconds.

now on 1080
but now really think about sell it and buy 1080ti and install (OMG) windows10
now nvidia gives best performance on (cuda) windows

i don't know if someone mentioned this (this thread is long ^^) soo:

what if we're asking nvidia the wrong question? i think they can't communicate some kind of pascal support in macOS, they are not doing it for maxwell or 7xx series card either, not even beta support. apple would go nuts if nvidia would do so (i really hope egpu's will be a thing in apples universe, this could change a lot). i think nvidia will always respond that pascal isn't supported in macOS, they won't even mention anykind of webdriver support even if it was there.

so, at the moment nvidia webdrivers are version 367.15, no pascal support. pascal support starts with 368.25.
pascal support is already in cuda (useless without webdriver), so i don't think nvidia would remove it from newer webdriver versions.. IF they're going to continue them. maybe they are just adding support for newer OS without changing the driver.. who knows.. not getting an answer is what bothers me most..

what do you think? is changing the question worth a try?

what do you think? is changing the question worth a try?

The only option we have is to get them to release drivers for the eGPU community (via Thunderbolt 3, which is supported by new Apple products like the 2016 MacBook Pro).

The Hackintosh community, unfortunately, doesn't have that much clout.

So yeah, eGPU community is our only hope to be honest.

What is the best motherboard to buy if you plan on using a 10series GPU on windows and GTX 950 on hackintosh (and how would you set up that motherboard to work like that)

What is the best motherboard to buy if you plan on using a 10series GPU on windows and GTX 950 on hackintosh (and how would you set up that motherboard to work like that)

Z170 based motherboards are the latest Skylake based ones.
X99 is good too, but a bit harder to set up.

A Z170 + Skylake processor is your best bet.

Please check some of the guides on this forum, they are great.

I'm hopeful still that 10.12.2 will bring a driver
If it's true that the driver for the 12.2 beta is the one posted in the thread the other day, it doesn't have Pascal support.

No, pascal support is not included in CUDA. I wrote about this earlier.
Look post #1248

this is exactly what i mean, they would never confirm any kind of support for any gpu that isn't officaly supported by apple.
maybe i'm just too optimistic, but i don't believe nvidia would remove pascal code from cuda just because they don't support it officialy... sure, it won't work at the moment because cuda would need 368.25 webdriver to work with pascal, so it's useless anyway. maybe someone smarter than me could check cuda for pascal code?

@Gigamaxx maybe? (found polaris 12 and vega 10 support in apple kexts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back