Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
with all these people around how come we don't have any friends working in nvidia that knows something wtf

with all these people around how come we don't have any friends working in nvidia that knows something wtf
It's called a NDA - Non Disclosure Agreement. :thumbup:

If it's true that the driver for the 12.2 beta is the one posted in the thread the other day, it doesn't have Pascal support.

It's up to nVidia to release the drivers, not Apple. 10.12.2 is on Beta 7 right now, it should be out fully in the next week or two. If no Pascal support, I'm putting up my 1080 for sale and sticking to my SLI 980TI :)

nVidia is still actively releasing Sierra drivers, so it's not like they are not doing anything. Only downside is it's for Maxwell.

It's called a NDA - Non Disclosure Agreement. :thumbup:

no sh*t, we get to know hillary's stuff but we don't know if there's any plan to release pascal webdrivers :(

just get someone who lives closely to nvidia hq to go in front of their gates and beg the devs for an answer, or even better chain himself in protest :mrgreen:

It's up to nVidia to release the drivers, not Apple. 10.12.2 is on Beta 7 right now, it should be out fully in the next week or two. If no Pascal support, I'm putting up my 1080 for sale and sticking to my SLI 980TI :)

nVidia is still actively releasing Sierra drivers, so it's not like they are not doing anything. Only downside is it's for Maxwell.
Ah, was that beta driver from netkas the Apple one? I thought it was a beta of the next NVIDIA webdriver because it had the 367 version number, which is the same as recent webdrivers version. If it was the Apple driver, then I'm still happy :) There's some hope then.

Ah, was that beta driver from netkas the Apple one? I thought it was a beta of the next NVIDIA webdriver because it had the 367 version number, which is the same as recent webdrivers version. If it was the Apple driver, then I'm still happy :) There's some hope then.

I'm not sure, but all WebDrivers are coming from nVidia and are "unofficial".

nothing makes sense. Nvidia claims it needs Apple to help it make a driver. This is obviously false. Also, given that they are already making drivers for sierra, how much harder would it be to add pascal support? Thirdly, off what math are they deciding that it makes sense to make drivers for 900 series cards but not for 1000? The exact same people that are using 900 cards, could upgrade to 1000, so it makes no sense to say that there arent enough apple users that are potential 1000 customers.

Thirdly, off what math are they deciding that it makes sense to make drivers for 900 series cards but not for 1000? The exact same people that are using 900 cards, could upgrade to 1000, so it makes no sense to say that there arent enough apple users that are potential 1000 customers.

Except that it isn't the exact same 900 users who can upgrade.

Of those Mac users who have 'real' Macs with Nvidia 9xx cards, they are all of course old cheesegrater tower style Mac Pro users with PCI-E expansion (I'm ignoring external GPU users - there's clearly very, very few people doing this. Maybe this will change now TB3 is spreading...). Sierra cuts off support for a lot of these models as per Apple's policy of only supporting hardware up to ~5 years old in OS releases. Now only mid 2010 or later Mac Pro models are officially supported in Sierra. El Capitan supported many more Mac Pro models that were capable of accepting aftermarket graphics cards.

This means the only 'legitimate' customers for an aftermarket Nvidia part are 2010 and 2012 Mac Pro model owners - the total addressable market for the driver is now really small. The cost of engineers plus QA in Santa Clara's insanely expensive labor market for building a driver will easily exceed several hundred thousand dollars - I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we never see it, there's so little money to be made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back