Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget that you always have the iGPU option or buy a 2nd cheap (and supported) Nvidia card for OSX. You can still use the 1xxx GPU in Windows.

Only reason I'm antsy is I want a 1080 for w10 gaming. BF1. On the MAC side I sleep my computer a lot. Neither igpu nor 1080 currently helps me. Swapping cables isn't viable with one cable cinema displays. I don't need the power of the 1080 in Mac. Most people prolly don't either. Its just for convienance.

http://www.recode.net/2016/10/18/13323264/apple-new-macs-october-27

This may be good news IF Apple uses nVidia GPUs (instead of AMD) in new Macs.

Look out for an official Apple announcement today at 10am PST.
Unless you've read something I didn't, I don't think the return of NVIDIA GPUs will come in the generation to be released on Oct 27. Some Apple internal sources even mentioned Polaris-based MBPs to be announced this fall. Only hope on Oct27 might be if they release a new tower-based MacPro. Other than that, I see the NVIDIA return happening in another future generation, just not now.

Of course, this doesn't exclude that NVIDIA could release Pascal drivers when they update web drivers to 10.12.1.

I've resorted to just installing my old GTX 780 (can run with the native drivers too) in the second PCI-E slot via DisplayPort and dropping the speed down to PCI-E 1x; so I can keep my other PCI-E 1x slot that runs my WiFi/BT4 card for iMessage/handoff active. Not a big deal since I don't do any gaming on the Mac side. I couldn't deal with the choppy 24Hz/30Hz 3840x2160 limitation of the IGPU. My GTX 1080 sits in the main PCI-E 16x slot connected by HDMI, so I just switch the input on the monitor.

If Pascal support arrives, I'll be able to stick to just one GPU which would be nice.

Well for what it's worth 9to5Mac is reporting the October 27th refresh for iMac's will have new AMD GPU's. See below:

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 7.13.57 AM.png

Woohoo, look, my morning is starting by read this ****ing page first.

Hi

@izo1 , can I use an displayport to minidisplayport adapter (see the picture please)?
I have an old 6870 AMD and want to change this card to an actual geforce card and I use a 27" apple cinema display (no thunderbolt)

thx and greetings from vienna
Franky

ps: sorry for my bad english

Attachments

• DP to mDP.jpg
    DP to mDP.jpg
    738 KB · Views: 151
I am also monitoring this thread for weeks now and I'm hesitating to buy a new GTX 1070....

Maybe I should give my money to AMD if NVIDIA is not able to provide drivers for their products...

I'm ready to sell my NVidia GTX 1070 and switch to AMD if there won't be any support. I'm just tired of waiting.

Hi

@izo1 , can I use an displayport to minidisplayport adapter (see the picture please)?
I have an old 6870 AMD and want to change this card to an actual geforce card and I use a 27" apple cinema display (no thunderbolt)

thx and greetings from vienna
Franky

ps: sorry for my bad english

That should work, as they are the same standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back