Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also Apple is still supporting the 5,1 Mac which is the last Mac that has upgradeability, so it's highly likely Pascal drivers will come sooner or later.
Well, Apple didn't kick the MacPro5,1 out of OS X yet, but they're not supporting upgrades in any way. They might sell you a $400 HD 5870 if you went into an Apple store and asked for GPU upgrades. :lol:

-->Now the Problem: after a new installation of Windows 10, i don't get a video signal from the intel 4000, when I set the right bios settings.

When I remove the GTX 1070, the video signal comes clear from the onboard HDMI.

I had the same problem with my Asrock series 7 board. iGPU would only work when I pulled the dGPU. I had to do a CMOS reset, then the BIOS option for primary GPU started working again.

Well, Apple didn't kick the MacPro5,1 out of OS X yet, but they're not supporting upgrades in any way. They might sell you a $400 HD 5870 if you went into an Apple store and asked for GPU upgrades. :lol:
(offtopic)
Yeah, since the iPhone Apple has completely lost touch with their pro base, who absolutely need raw horse power... Macbooks and iMacs are beautiful and functional machines and make great sense for their intended userbase, but selling 3yr old hardware for a 300% markup is completely nonsense.

Pro users ask of Apple nothing more than an easy accessible Mac Tower, that gets yearly CPU and RAM upgrades, and where you can do RAM, HDD/SDD and GPU upgrades yourself. They don't have to reinvent the wheel every year in this area. Even if Apple would only support a fraction of the hardware that Windows does (but again, with yearly hardware / driver updates), I would immediately buy one, even if there's a (somewhat reasonable) price markup.

But well, Apples refusal do offer something like this is the whole reason, why more and more users are driven to hackintoshs.

No one really knows to be honest, but recent job listings from nVidia asking for Apple Metal developers and the upcoming Macs, there is hope for Apple + nVidia relationship.

Also Apple is still supporting the 5,1 Mac which is the last Mac that has upgradeability, so it's highly likely Pascal drivers will come sooner or later.

Just trying to keep you guys updated that's all :)

Stay positive :)
Yes, I believe Apple will offer new NVIDIA-based products in the future, according to those job listings, but it looks too soon unless it's a Mac Pro. It's more realistic to expect it for a later generation, given how much we hear the AMD name these days.

Back to Pascal drivers, I think the most realistic hope is related to CUDA 8. In order to fully exploit CUDA 8, you need Pascal. And CUDA 8 supports Mac OS. So it means that even NVIDIA needs a Pascal-enabled driver in order to properly test and debug CUDA 8 in the Mac.

Nvidia cannot get more funnier than this.
If I had to guess, they intended to release drivers and CUDA at the same time, but the drivers aren't still ready yet for whatever reason. Or maybe they're holding back for 10.12.1.

$150 for 950.... isnt that almost the launch price of the 1050Ti?

I have both cards (1070 and HD4600) active, and the displays connected to the 4600. On linux I can use the 1070 for computations but I would really like to switch back to macOS for that...

This is a development machine and as such will be exclusively used for OS-X (maybe with the occasional use of Windows7 and 2008 VMS). My target platforms are generally all linux but I do my work on them exclusively thru ssh terminals.

I am unfamiliar with the 1050Ti, I am not finding it in Newegg or Amazon. I only see a few systems with that preinstalled, not the card by itself. My main requirements is that it drive 2x4k monitors via Display port for development work (not gaming) and that the card works pretty much out of the box or with a simple driver download. I was originally looking at the EVGA GeForce GTX 960 but those aren't available in my local MicroCenter any more and the 950 I referenced seems to fit the bill.

So... I just made my first HackMac-blunder and bought the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070, after a neat discount of course. I dont know, I guess I decided to start making moves. Well.. Is this looking kinda bleak, or what? Should a n00b return his PC-part?

So... I just made my first HackMac-blunder and bought the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070, after a neat discount of course. I dont know, I guess I decided to start making moves. Well.. Is this looking kinda bleak, or what? Should a n00b return his PC-part?

I'm rebuilding my 5 year old Hackintosh, and I was about to buy the GTX 1070 when I started reading this thread. I ended up buying a used GTX 970 on Amazon for $195 w/2 year warranty added on. Even if Apple or Nvidia releases GTX 10xx support tomorrow, I can take the 970 and throw it in my HTPC build, so I'll have 4k support. Worth the $195 for the short term upgrade.

I'm rebuilding my 5 year old Hackintosh, and I was about to buy the GTX 1070 when I started reading this thread. I ended up buying a used GTX 970 on Amazon for $195 w/2 year warranty added on. Even if Apple or Nvidia releases GTX 10xx support tomorrow, I can take the 970 and throw it in my HTPC build, so I'll have 4k support. Worth the $195 for the short term upgrade.
Yeah, the 9xx series are getting scarce, at least here in Norway. The 1070 seems like a really good card, and I got it at a good price. Just feels wrong going back now. Shame. I guess I´ll just hold on to the card, buy the rest of the parts, forget about my HackMac-project for a while and simply go all windows for the time being. At least until this thread looses its right to live. ;)

Remember it was October before Maxwell drivers were released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back