Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one knows. As someone already said, it could be next week, later, much later, or even never.
A second hand 980 Ti seems to me the best option as of today, as it's equal to a 1070 and slightly cheaper while 100% supported.

Do you know if nvidia is going to release driver for GT920M & Pascal driver in general?

Do you know if nvidia is going to release driver for GT920M & Pascal driver in general?

I have no idea about GT920M, and about Pascal -> no one knows that, except nvidia. Even Apple may not know !
Nvidia is in the process of hiring more developers for the mac platform, which is a good sign, but not a promise for pascal support.
Pascal might very well be supported in mac OS, but "when" is the question. It might take long, so long we will be lurking at Vega/Volta release and support for mac OS. In the mean time, buy what's supported. Don't invest in unsupported hardware hoping it will get support soon, because it makes no sense.

Just delay your investment.

Last edited:
when apple will release next gen of iMac or MacBook pro?

No one really knows and it's all pure speculation...

HOWEVER, there were a few job postings by nVidia as recent as a week or two ago that was asking for devs who have worked on Apple's Metal platform...so this means either:

A) nVidia wants to impress Apple so they can bid on their chips.
B) nVidia actually won the bid against AMD and needs devs current GPUs that are being implemented in new Macs.

This is all speculation, but this moves the needle a little bit.

I really don't get why Apple won't go with nVidia this time around with new Macs since Pascal is so low energy and extremely high performance.

I have the GTX1080 and even under full load this guy doesn't even roll up the fans above 45% and runs extremely cool. The lower end Pascals would be a tremendous addition to Macs.

I also have a GTX1080. But i can understand Apple why using AMD Hardware. There was trouble with some NV Chips in the past. AMD is cheaper and if you use OpenCL (most in OSX) AMD Hardware is performing better (If you compare same class of Price). And, if we look to the GPU Chips, the AMD Hardware was always more modern. (more Features etc.) At the Moment Pascal is the big Thing, but the decission which GPUs to use in Apple Hardware was done long before pascal did excist. If VEGA can beat GTX1080/1080ti the VEGA Card will be the best choice for gamingpower and OSX compatibility.

I also have a GTX1080. But i can understand Apple why using AMD Hardware. There was trouble with some NV Chips in the past. AMD is cheaper and if you use OpenCL (most in OSX) AMD Hardware is performing better (If you compare same class of Price). And, if we look to the GPU Chips, the AMD Hardware was always more modern. (more Features etc.) At the Moment Pascal is the big Thing, but the decission which GPUs to use in Apple Hardware was done long before pascal did excist. If VEGA can beat GTX1080/1080ti the VEGA Card will be the best choice for gamingpower and OSX compatibility.

I think Apple is completely using Metal for the GUI in Sierra now.

Their only application left that uses OpenCL is FCPX, and I assume that will change to Metal as well.

Also Metal renderer shows up in the latest Adobe CC updates.

I also think the old nVidia GPUs died in Apple devices because they ran too hot. Pascal is super efficient. Nothing in AMD's line comes close to Pascal at all.

It's definitely true AMD is probably giving then the chips super cheap (especially the 2013 Mac Pros) but Apple seriously needs to look at themselves and figure out a way how to keep GPUs and CPUs current. It's always been a problem for them.

macOS Sierra runs perfectly fine on non-Metal GPUs, so they still have an legacy OpenGL fallback in all their Apps.

AMD was the way to go for Apple because they offered lots of OpenGC performance for very little money. I don't think any Maxwell GPU can match the performance of an ancient HD 7970 in FCPX, and since Apple doesn't care about gaming performance at all they "had" to go for AMD.
We'll see what they do in the future, but I don't expect them to change back to Nvidia in the next generation of Macs. Looking at their tiny cases (and also tiny thermal envelopes) Nvidia would be an obvious choice, but I think they'll go for cheap AMD solutions (again).

Hey guys,

The Metal job openings seem like a good sign to me, it doesn't seem like the type of thing NV would do if they didn't have plans to work with Apple at least.

I wish NV would move their butts though, this is killing me! I built my skylake rig for making music and gaming, but I didn't even realise I would need different drivers for Pascal cards at the time. So I've leapfrogged from a system with a GTX 460 (which I was unable to get NV drivers working for on El Cap after more than 2 months of troubleshooting) to unsupported hardware. I've managed to get the iGPU working but it's unusable as far as I'm concerned (esp with Win10 working fine on the same computer).

So I'm still making music on my 2012 Macbook Air, which sits around 1-2gb free RAM at idle if I'm lucky... with a Skylake computer with 64gb ram and an NVMe M.2 sitting next to it. Games work great on it but I'm all about music. I refuse to use Windows to make music, it's a long story but I have my reasons.

Sorry to vent, I've got nobody to talk to who understands lol. At least most of you guys were smart enough to hold off, but I knew I wanted the 1080 and I couldn't get my old card to work with El Cap for love or money anyway. I even tried putting the GTX 460 in the new rig and borrowing a friend's old GTX 560, but I may be missing something (which I will realise if I have the same problem with official drivers for the 1080). That being said, I must have read a thousand threads and tried every solution I could find. I'll post logs in future but mostly they just showed junk or a failure to initialize GPU.

This Hackintosh build has been such a waiting game for me. First I had to save the money, then I wanted to wait for Skylake, then I wanted to wait for Pascal, then I had to wait for Pascal cards to actually become available in South Africa (!!!), and now this. I'm fairly new to Hackintosh but I'm a born-and-bred computer person and even so, this is really testing my resolve.

Maybe I should just go to the beach and take up surfing :/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back